C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel fuel to get rid of engine gunk?

Old 01-12-2018, 02:06 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If I had an engine that I thought was "slidged up", the LAST thing I would do is dissolve the sludge....unless I wanted to do a complete rebuild of it anyway.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 01-12-2018 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:51 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Drain a couple of quarts of oil out and add a couple of quarts of transmission fluid, it's very high detergent. Don't get the engine above a high idle and let it run until it gets good and warm for a while, around a half hour. Drain it while it's hot and everything is still in suspension.

Pennzoil is waxy, nasty oil, same as Quaker State. That paraffin crap will build up and block drainbacks from heads and lifter valley.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:58 AM
Tiger Joe
Drifting

Received 517 Likes on 343 Posts

we have a bunch of older heavy equipment, and in the owners manual of a 60's International Harvester tractor, it actually says to thin the motor oil with kerosene in the winter, up to 22% for extreme cold temps. I always found that interesting.

I've done a rinse before on a sbc, but just pouring it thru didn't actually fill the motor. no ill effects
Old 01-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If I had an engine that I thought was "slidged up", the LAST thing I would do is dissolve the sludge....unless I wanted to do a complete rebuild of it anyway.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Have you dropped the oil pan to see what sort of buildup you may/may not have in there as well as the oil pickup screen? You can remove the valve covers and intake manifold easily too and have a look. These are about the only areas that you'll have buildup. Clean it all up, button it up and you'll be sludgeless.

Last edited by Tonio; 01-12-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:14 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
Bubba was here!
More than one.

Its one thing to put a home remedy into the oil pan.
Its another thing to actually turn the key.

Not in this life time.

Is this post from the 1950's? LOL

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 01-12-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:57 PM
Punchy8504
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by L88Plus
Drain a couple of quarts of oil out and add a couple of quarts of transmission fluid, it's very high detergent. Don't get the engine above a high idle and let it run until it gets good and warm for a while, around a half hour. Drain it while it's hot and everything is still in suspension.

Pennzoil is waxy, nasty oil, same as Quaker State. That paraffin crap will build up and block drainbacks from heads and lifter valley.
I've had this recommended to me before for my old 1 ton dually with a 454. Also use ATF for the good old Browning .50 cal as it lubes the gun up and mainly because of the detergent quality. Those things have been around forever using this method, but I definitely cannot say how this would actually translate into an engine.

Not sure if I'd want to experiment with an engine I've put lots of time and money in to.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:22 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

When I worked in a full service station in the very early 70's, a guy came in and left his car for an oil change, said to put in 4 quarts of oil in it and 1 quart of transmission fluid in it, and of course a new filter(filters were only changed every 3 tims back then and before this time). I looked at him in puzzlement, he said this will loosed the gung in the car? Never saw him again to ask if it worked.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:36 PM
sc2dave
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run 15w40. This engine oil has a lot more additives and detergents. I've been running this on all my cars AND motorcycle, for years with no problems.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:09 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Chapter2
Have you dropped the oil pan to see what sort of buildup you may/may not have in there as well as the oil pickup screen? You can remove the valve covers and intake manifold easily too and have a look. These are about the only areas that you'll have buildup. Clean it all up, button it up and you'll be sludgeless.
I've seen sludge so thick and deep in the lifter valley that you couldn't see any lifters, pushrods went down through holes in the waxy sludge build-up.
If it's nasty under the valve covers and in the pan, you can bet it's nasty in the lifter valley.
I hate it when I see this - an oil change isn't that expensive and doesn't take that long.

After all the chicken fried steaks and burgers I've eaten, it kinda makes me wonder about the condition of my own oil and system...probably some sludge in the galleys but I hope the pump is fairly clean

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel fuel to get rid of engine gunk?