C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater control assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 02:19 AM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Heater control assembly

OK since I removed the AC from my 71 sb and heater controls are almost jammed I'm looking to replace heater control in my car with non ac one.
But is this a straight forward job of just changin one for another or does it need something else?
I can't seem to fathom how the hell this thing works and which parts to change and/or remove.

The difference between the two:

The thing on the left side of ac one is as far as I know compressor switch for ac cars.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:34 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi PK,

The 71 non-a/c controller is fairly straight forward:
It has 3 functions:

A switch at the top that controls the blower fan. It has 4 speeds.... off, low, medium and high.

A rotating 'wheel on the RIGHT side that moves a 'Bowden cable' that physically opens and closes a 'door' in the air box that routes the air flow through the heater core 'H' for warm air, or bypasses the 'heater core 'C' for ambient temperature air.

A rotating wheel on the LEFT side that controls a small vacuum manifold that determines WHERE the air flow is directed by opening and closing vacuum operated doors in the air box. 'AIR', directs all the air through the floor defuser; 'DE-FOG', air flow is split between the floor defuser and through the defroster outlet in the upper dash pad; or 'DE-ICE', air flow is mainly directed through the defroster outlet with minimal air coming through the floor defuser.

The vacuum supply for the controller left side manifold is through a small hose running directly from the wiper-door vacuum supply line in the engine compartment.

You'll need a non a/c blower in the engine compartment and a non a/c air box in the interior.

Regards,
Alan

Air Box, Vacuum control pot, Bowden operated hot/cold door.

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-12-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:41 AM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Thanks Alan!
Do you have any pictures of the heater control in the car?
At the moment de-ice doesn't work in my car as doesn't hi fan.
I suspect bad vacuum hoses.
I have non ac cover for the engine compartment at home along with new heater core to go in.
But do I need non a/c box in the interior for the heating and everything else to work? Or can I leave my existing setup in the dashboard?

Last edited by Primoz; 01-12-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:40 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi PK,
You need the non a/c air-box for the interior. You can see it's configuration in the photos. 2 vacuum pot actuated doors and one cable actuated door. Plus a connection for the heater resistor wiring.

Here's the controller in it's mounting bracket.

The upper arrow points to the control for the astro-ventilation system that was standard on carts with-out a/c.

The lower arrow points to the control for the defroster, heater, combined, air flow.
The rubber manifold and hoses mount to this control.

What information are you looking for?
Do you have the heater/defroster pages from the AIM to refer to?
Have you checked the vacuum connection at the vacuum pot for the defroster control door?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-12-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi PK,
Here's the controller in it's mounting bracket.

The upper arrow points to the control for the astro-ventilation system that was standard on carts with-out a/c.

The lower arrow points to the control for the defroster, heater, combined, air flow.
The rubber manifold and hoses mount to this control.

What information are you looking for?
Do you have the heater/defroster pages from the AIM to refer to?
Have you checked the vacuum connection at the vacuum pot for the defroster control door?
Regards,
Alan

I have the AIM but not with me at the moment.
I'm not at home at the moment.

Last edited by Primoz; 01-12-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:55 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I'm not sure why you are choosing to change the control head, just because of removal of the A/C system. There are lots of differences in the two control systems which must be managed if you change heads.

You should be able to reinstall the same head and system, but disconnect the electrical connection to the A/C compressor. The system will then operate as it always has....except that no A/C will work when placed in that mode.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 01-12-2018 at 01:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 07:25 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

you can rebuiud the control, or purchase a rebuilt one, or new one. someone had the directions on how to rebuild it(corvette fever magazine did I think, check on like). Buy the kit from Willcox.
Primoz (01-12-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 09:54 AM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

I was looking at the rebuild kit but also at CraigH post where he dismantled his heater control and rebuilt it with same pieces.
The only problem I have is that the fan doesn't blow and that the ***** on heater control are rock hard to turn!
Old 01-27-2018, 10:12 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

The fan not blowing could be several things. First check and see if you have power at the fan, you could also apply power to the fan (jumper wire) and make sure the motor is ok. Then start working your way from the hi-low speed resistors (on top of the ductwork) back or from the fuse panel forward...

Here's another rebuild on the controller https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-assembly.html

Is the control wheel still hard to turn if you loosen the shifter plate? If the console is installed and held too low (dash center gauge console etc) the wheels on the control can hit the shifter plate and make them hard to turn as they rub, but that's usually only the inboard wheel not the left one.

M
Primoz (01-27-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Heater control assembly

Quick Reply: Heater control assembly