C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car was soda blasted yesterday. A couple of oops.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 01:04 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Mike Dyer is just finishing all my rear end stuff so should have the chassis done in a couple weeks. Mike needed to rework the Ridetech trailing arms to work with my 1480 axles, so ran into some hurdles there.

Bill
I am glad to hear Mike is hanging in there.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:36 PM
76strokervette
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts

There always seems to be a few surprises when you take a car apart.
I have experienced a few of my own on mine. Glad to hear the differential and trailing arms will be in your hands soon. Can't wait to see pictures!
Old 01-13-2018, 03:49 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 854 Likes on 625 Posts

Thanks David for your contribution to the build. Talked to Mike yesterday and he couldn’t stop raving about your caps.����. Can’t wait to see yours either. It will definitely be the Big Brother to my measley little 10 bolt!

Bill

Last edited by 69ttop502; 01-13-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
I realize it's hard to get a good timeline for completion due to variables,
MAN...although that comment is short and sweet...that statement packs a lot of weight. It always seems to be the variables that get in my way...no matter if it is a custom resto-mod ob or a car going back basically factory....or anything in between. Trying to get an estimation on when a project is about completed...is almost impossible. Or at least for me it is.

Because if I get over confident and give a time of competition...that is when Murphy's Law finds it way into my shop and depth charges my plans. Giving a 'time' is almost the kiss of death for me. And when I do..I do not make it 100% specific. And I explain to my customers why I am doing this so whey know why.

DUB
Old 01-14-2018, 12:02 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
MAN...although that comment is short and sweet...that statement packs a lot of weight. It always seems to be the variables that get in my way...no matter if it is a custom resto-mod ob or a car going back basically factory....or anything in between. Trying to get an estimation on when a project is about completed...is almost impossible. Or at least for me it is.

Because if I get over confident and give a time of competition...that is when Murphy's Law finds it way into my shop and depth charges my plans. Giving a 'time' is almost the kiss of death for me. And when I do..I do not make it 100% specific. And I explain to my customers why I am doing this so whey know why.

DUB
At work we called that the "X" factor. Any build at a job site has unexpected delays.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:44 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 840 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 69,
Interesting photos!

In looking at the photo of the front of the car it appears the steel body re-inforcement has been replaced at some time.
The clue is that the re-inforcement is fastened in place using pop rivets.... originally the typical large headed soft aluminum rivets were used.

You might want to take a look under there to see if there's anything that might benefit from some attention at this point.

Regards,
Alan

I'm not sure if I want to thank either one of you this morning as you've just pointed out a thought I had regarding my 70'. Pop Rivets ! I've got them.
As a rookie I'm learning more everyday, some good things, some not so great things but learning none the less.
So I will thank you for you've both added to my education about Soda Blasting & how these cars were built and "Repaired" :-( .
I look forward to more of your post as you move forward with your build.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:31 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

502 I need to ask if soda blasting would be safe enough to use with the body on the frame? It looks like it might not be harmful unless the nozzle/jet was directed at the surface. Mostly water damage?

Curious since my vette's body has at least 3 colors and unknown coats of paint. Not looking forward to sanding all that and need to see what's on the bottom underneath all that paint.

Last edited by cardo0; 01-14-2018 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect!
Old 01-14-2018, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

For what this is worth:

I would NEVER soda blast a Corvette. I had one panel done years ago and it was the last.

And to the best of my knowledge...some of the major paint manufacturers will not warranty products applied on a panel that was soda blasted. Keep in mind I do not keep up with that information due to I will not soda blast a fiberglass body. maybe things have changed...maybe not.

And YES...it is somewhat similar to how many people use DOT 5 brake fluid in their brake system with great success...but many of the brake part manufacturers will say that if you use DOT 5 brake fluid you VOID the warranty. So...take it for whatever it is worth to you.

cardo0

Not that you asked specifically. If I had your car in my shop I would get off as much as I could with a razor blade knife and then use the chemical stripper I am fond of using that has never caused for any paint problems. For whatever that is worth to you.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
cardo0 (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 06:26 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by caskiguy
I'm not sure if I want to thank either one of you this morning as you've just pointed out a thought I had regarding my 70'. Pop Rivets ! I've got them.
As a rookie I'm learning more everyday, some good things, some not so great things but learning none the less.
Dub So I will thank you for you've both added to my education about Soda Blasting & how these cars were built and "Repaired" :-( .
I look forward to more of your post as you move forward with your build.
Will add pics as they come. Cardo, I certainly am not knowledgeable on the stripping techniques and would certainly defer to Dub’s experience. However, I have seen Corvettes that these guys have painted and have never heard a complaint. The first one I remember is the 700 hp C2 restomod done by 1CoolC2 that was on the magazine circuit. And Go Vette go’s Gold 69 was painted by them. Also Gordonm had his Cobra painted and David Howard had them do his pre wrap paint job on the 72 race car. It is through David I found these guys. They just prefer to soda blast so I just went with it based on what I have seen and the word of mouth recommendations. Would have loved to have Dub paint the car as I have seen the quality that comes out of his shop as well. Timing just worked out with this shop. So sorry I can’t be of more help on the soda blasting info but time will tell and I will post pics.

My car was painted back around 1991, before I bought it, and they obviously took it down to glass at that point. Will see what they think in terms of panel replacement and such.

Bill

Last edited by 69ttop502; 01-14-2018 at 06:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cardo0 (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:49 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DUB
For what this is worth:

I would NEVER soda blast a Corvette. I had one panel done years ago and it was the last.

And to the best of my knowledge...some of the major paint manufacturers will not warranty products applied on a panel that was soda blasted. Keep in mind I do not keep up with that information due to I will not soda blast a fiberglass body. maybe things have changed...maybe not.

And YES...it is somewhat similar to how many people use DOT 5 brake fluid in their brake system with great success...but many of the brake part manufacturers will say that if you use DOT 5 brake fluid you VOID the warranty. So...take it for whatever it is worth to you.

cardo0

Not that you asked specifically. If I had your car in my shop I would get off as much as I could with a razor blade knife and then use the chemical stripper I am fond of using that has never caused for any paint problems. For whatever that is worth to you.

DUB
Can you be more specific on what soda blasting does that is undesirable? I don't like the idea of sanding the door jam areas. And soda blasters are fairly cheap. Harbor freight sells'm.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:51 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Will add pics as they come. Cardo, I certainly am not knowledgeable on the stripping techniques and would certainly defer to Dub’s experience. However, I have seen Corvettes that these guys have painted and have never heard a complaint. The first one I remember is the 700 hp C2 restomod done by 1CoolC2 that was on the magazine circuit. And Go Vette go’s Gold 69 was painted by them. Also Gordonm had his Cobra painted and David Howard had them do his pre wrap paint job on the 72 race car. It is through David I found these guys. They just prefer to soda blast so I just went with it based on what I have seen and the word of mouth recommendations. Would have loved to have Dub paint the car as I have seen the quality that comes out of his shop as well. Timing just worked out with this shop. So sorry I can’t be of more help on the soda blasting info but time will tell and I will post pics.

My car was painted back around 1991, before I bought it, and they obviously took it down to glass at that point. Will see what they think in terms of panel replacement and such.

Bill
I need to follow this paint job.. Hope you keep posting.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:11 PM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Looks pretty good to me.

Just a little work. You have options.

I don't get too worried until I start seeing 2 inch thick bondo and flattened out steel beer cans screwed in place to form the back side of a panel.

You might have to get a donor section from another car to pretty some of it up. But all in all, not bad. Really, not bad.

My what paint can hide!
Old 01-15-2018, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by cardo0
Can you be more specific on what soda blasting does that is undesirable? I don't like the idea of sanding the door jam areas. And soda blasters are fairly cheap. Harbor freight sells'm.
Like I wrote...call the paint company and talk with them. Keep in mind I have been chemically stripping Corvettes for over 30 years with no problems. When a new way of stripping that is invented to make it faster...sometimes DOES NOT make it better.

I have blasted paint with crushed walnuts...but did not like the mess. I have done it with the plastic media and still...did not like it getting everywhere. When the 'soda blasting' came out and was the rage....I tried it and did not like it due to the paint manufacturer told me they would NOT warranty any paint defects. And I am NOT a fan of getting the body wet with water when I am working on it when it is bare fiberglas/SMC. So washing the body to get the residue off...is just not my 'cup of tea'.

I know many people use the soda blasting and wash the body when it is bare fiberglas with DAWN or other stuff...and they are more than free to do so. But I am not on board with that practice. Just like many of them may think I am full of crap to use chemical stripper that is NOT formulated to be used on fiberglass but I can do it all day long and not have a problem.

For me..chemically stripping the door jambs is/are not that big of a deal. If you do not want to do that...maybe switch the media and use the plastic media or crushed walnuts shells and see what that does. For me...the chemical works fairly quickly due to I have done so many ...it is not that big of a deal.

I can say that that some paints do not like any type of media due to how stout they are. And when I had the soda blaster guy at the shop to do some test panels...when he finally got through the clear coat and began to blast it...it screwed up the test panel so badly that if he did a car like that...it LITERALLY would have been like a washboard.

Even when some cars were done with the plastic media...certain areas should NOT be done due to the vortex of air does not allow the media to work effectively...and actually the area around where they were trying to get the paint off got eaten up and damaged. So...it can happen with that where it can still cause you to manually sand it or use chemical like I do in those area.

DUB
Old 01-15-2018, 06:07 PM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Default Little tip that I use.

I use chemical stripper that is formulated for fiberglass. Get it at the auto paint stores. Forgot the name but its there. Ha. On the flat surfaces (horizontal or vertical), I would apply it and then cover it with cellophane. That helps keep it from evaporating on you and also keeps it from running away on the horizontal surfaces. Sort of allows it to push into the paint. I do a little square area at time. Maybe have a couple little little areas going at the same time and walk back and forth between them. I use a plastic putty knife and go at it. Be easy when you get to the glass.

The nooks and crannies I just put the stripper on it and let it work. I don't try to scrape it out. I blast it with air and it flies out of there. Cover yourself and do it outside or something or somewhere safe. Wear eye protection because it will fly out of there. But, I like the clean detail it leaves and I don't have to dig at it with a pick or something similar.

Not an expert by any means and definitely limited resources. It does take time. Put your TV in the garage drink beer or what ever. Have a friend help you. Use good ventilation and wear gloves for sure. Put the car on some thick millage visqueen. Scrape it right on to the floor and let it dry. Sweep it up later or something. Wear old tennis shoes when working in the area or those booties. Work neat and clean. Don't rub the stuff around. Just scrap it and flick it on the ground or wipe it on a trillion paper towels. Dispose of that stuff carefully because that stuff will burn very nicely.

Originally Posted by DUB
Like I wrote...call the paint company and talk with them. Keep in mind I have been chemically stripping Corvettes for over 30 years with no problems. When a new way of stripping that is invented to make it faster...sometimes DOES NOT make it better.

I have blasted paint with crushed walnuts...but did not like the mess. I have done it with the plastic media and still...did not like it getting everywhere. When the 'soda blasting' came out and was the rage....I tried it and did not like it due to the paint manufacturer told me they would NOT warranty any paint defects. And I am NOT a fan of getting the body wet with water when I am working on it when it is bare fiberglas/SMC. So washing the body to get the residue off...is just not my 'cup of tea'.

I know many people use the soda blasting and wash the body when it is bare fiberglas with DAWN or other stuff...and they are more than free to do so. But I am not on board with that practice. Just like many of them may think I am full of crap to use chemical stripper that is NOT formulated to be used on fiberglass but I can do it all day long and not have a problem.

For me..chemically stripping the door jambs is/are not that big of a deal. If you do not want to do that...maybe switch the media and use the plastic media or crushed walnuts shells and see what that does. For me...the chemical works fairly quickly due to I have done so many ...it is not that big of a deal.

I can say that that some paints do not like any type of media due to how stout they are. And when I had the soda blaster guy at the shop to do some test panels...when he finally got through the clear coat and began to blast it...it screwed up the test panel so badly that if he did a car like that...it LITERALLY would have been like a washboard.

Even when some cars were done with the plastic media...certain areas should NOT be done due to the vortex of air does not allow the media to work effectively...and actually the area around where they were trying to get the paint off got eaten up and damaged. So...it can happen with that where it can still cause you to manually sand it or use chemical like I do in those area.

DUB

Last edited by tfringo; 01-15-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff, spelling
Old 01-15-2018, 06:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by tfringo
I use chemical stripper that is formulated for fiberglass. Get it at the auto paint stores. For got the name but its there. Ha. On the flat surfaces (horizontal or vertical), I would apply it and then cover it with cellophane. That helps keep it from evaporating on you. Sort of allows it to push into the paint. I do a little square area at time. Maybe have a couple little little areas going at the same time and walk back and forth between them. I use a plastic putty knife and go at it. Be easy when you get to the glass.
YES...covering the chemical stripper with plastic is do-able...BUT what people NEED to understand is that they MUST check on it and see how well it is working. Guessing on how long to leave it like that can be dangerous. I DO use the plastic method on steel panel due to the steel can not absorb the chemical stripper. When I do the Corvettes...I do not use plastic. BUT...I have tested a small area to see how long I need to leave it to achieve the level of strip I am looking for.

The nooks and crannies I just put the stripper on it and let it work. I don't try to scrape it out. I blast it with air and it flies out of there. Cover yourself and do it outside or something or somewhere safe. Wear eye protection because it will fly out of there. But, I like the clean detail it leaves and I don't have to dig at it with a pick or something similar.

Not an expert by any means, just limited resources.
NOW...I am glad that you warned people about blowing air onto chemical stripper. I WOULD NOT advise this. But do as you wish.

I DO blow lacquer thinner on the nooks and crannies...but it is at low pressure so I can wash off the stripper than I increase the air flow. Then, even if here is still some paint left behind...I media blast off those areas and it is cleaned of and prepped at the same time.

Just let the chemical stripper get on some soft skin and and you will be running FAST to get it off.

DUB
Old 01-15-2018, 06:35 PM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Default Another thingy.

There is a lot of ways to fix fiberglass. If there is enough integrity in the are of damage, I try to use what is there. But, I try to hide the work.

If I have to, I get pieces and fuse them in.

I don't like to see resin without much glass or no glass in it. Resin shrinks for years. But fiberglass does not shrink. Trying to achieve the same density as the material around the damage is key to having max results. I like clamping stuff to squeeze some resin of the repair. Tape the surrounding areas to protect from big mess. Color the resin to match the black glass or gray.

Course grinding and opening up the fiberglass pores is good. The factory would sand blast the areas that were bonded together. Look at NOS panels from the old days and you will see them blasted at the bonding area.

I think it works better than grinding. Look with a microscope and you will see little fiberglass hairs. Great for bond strength.

I like original formula panel adhesive. It has nice density and color. After it dries by itself, hit it with heat lamps and shrink away. Don't catch your car on fire. Lights have to be about 3-4 feet away. Take your time and let it sit as long as possible.

Again, not an expert by any means. But, these are things that seem to work for me. Other people can correct me if they like.

I use chemical stripper that is formulated for fiberglass. Get it at the auto paint stores. Forgot the name but its there. Ha. On the flat surfaces (horizontal or vertical), I would apply it and then cover it with cellophane. That helps keep it from evaporating on you and also keeps it from running away on the horizontal surfaces. Sort of allows it to push into the paint. I do a little square area at time. Maybe have a couple little little areas going at the same time and walk back and forth between them. I use a plastic putty knife and go at it. Be easy when you get to the glass.

Not an expert by any means and definitely limited resources. It does take time. Put your TV in the garage drink beer or what ever. Have a friend help you. Use good ventilation and wear gloves for sure. Put the car on some thick millage visqueen. Scrape it right on to the floor and let it dry. Sweep it up later or something. Wear old tennis shoes when working in the area or those booties. Work neat and clean. Don't rub the stuff around. Just scrap it and flick it on the ground or wipe it on a trillion paper towels. Dispose of that stuff carefully because that stuff will burn very nicely.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:41 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Today.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To My car was soda blasted yesterday. A couple of oops.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:07 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Nice job :- ))
Old 01-16-2018, 03:52 PM
retiredrey
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Soda blast

My what paint can hide!
Soda is a good way to go with out digging holes in the glass as sand can easily do. Just be sure to super rinse to get the soda out of the nooks and crannies. When rinsing be sure to include some thing to neutralize any leftover chemical. Good luck with the project, it will keep you occupied for the next few years (I speak from experience).
Rey S.

Last edited by retiredrey; 01-16-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

There is a lot of ways to fix fiberglass. If there is enough integrity in the area of damage, I try to use what is there. But, I try to hide the work.

If I have to, I get pieces and fuse them in.

I don't like to see resin without much glass or no glass in it. Resin shrinks for years. But fiberglass does not shrink. Trying to achieve the same density as the material around the damage is key to having max results. I like clamping stuff to squeeze some resin of the repair. Tape the surrounding areas to protect from big mess. Color the resin to match the black glass or gray.

Resin to fiberglass material is the major concern. It is a happy marriage of both of them that makes the lamination stout.

Clamping on the lamination on is do-abe but not required IF it seem impossible to do this. That is why they sell vacuum bags to pull the air out of the lamination. But once again...if you have really excessive resin ...vacuum bagging it is only getting the air out of your improper laminated area.

Course grinding and opening up the fiberglass pores is good. The factory would sand blast the areas that were bonded together. Look at NOS panels from the old days and you will see them blasted at the bonding area.

I think it works better than grinding. Look with a microscope and you will see little fiberglass hairs. Great for bond strength.
I have sandblasted press molded fiberglass in the past where that visual effect is asked for....And it is also written in my old estimating guides. They specifically mentioned sandblasting.

But those of you reading this...do not get confused. sandblasting or even heavy rough grinding is NOT always the correct prep method when a panel is being bonded on. Some adhesives want a light scuff...and this depends on what the panel is made out of.

I like original formula panel adhesive. It has nice density and color. After it dries by itself, hit it with heat lamps and shrink away. Don't catch your car on fire. Lights have to be about 3-4 feet away. Take your time and let it sit as long as possible.

Again, not an expert by any means. But, these are things that seem to work for me. Other people can correct me if they like.
I do also like the black body putty. It is a unique adhesive. And it should be cured with heat lamps and just get it hotter than what the sun would ever get that panel. So...no need to get it so blistering how that your panel smokes.

But I also like what GM used after they stopped using that and went to different adhesives.

DUB

Quick Reply: My car was soda blasted yesterday. A couple of oops.