C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clam shell seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:24 PM
corvette 1978
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default clam shell seats

hi does anyone know an easy way to install the cushions into the shells? thank you
Old 02-14-2018, 08:41 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I'm not sure there is an "easy" way to do it, it just takes patience. It's actually much easier to install the cushions than it is to remove them, unless you've recently installed a set. Study the loops on the cushions and the retainers on the shells and it should quickly become evident what needs to take place.

It helps to have a long, flat-blade screwdriver with a V-notch cut into the blade. Insert one set of loops in their retainers then hook the screwdriver (with the notch) onto an opposite loop and while pressing the cushion into the already hooked retainers, carefully insert the "screwdriver hooked" loop into it's retainer. Do the same with the other loop.

It really is much easier to demonstrate than it is to describe...

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 02-15-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:03 AM
corvette 1978
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
I'm not sure there is an "easy" way to do it, it just takes patience. It's actually much easier to install the cushions than it is to remove them, unless you've recently installed a set. Study the loops on the cushions and the retainers on the shells and it should quickly become evident what needs to take place.

It helps to have a long, flat-blade screwdriver with a V-notch cut into the blade. Insert one set of loops in their retainers then hook the screwdriver (with the notch) onto an opposite loop and while pressing the cushion into the already hooked retainers, carefully insert the "screwdriver hooked" loop into it's retainer. Do the same with the other loop.

It really is much easier to demonstrate than it is to describe...

Good luck... GUSTO
thanks gusto for your reply. I have a question about your reply. when you hook the second loop with the screwdriver are you coming in from the side of the cushion or the top of the cushion with the screwdriver? thanks again
Old 02-15-2018, 01:26 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette 1978
thanks gusto for your reply. I have a question about your reply. when you hook the second loop with the screwdriver are you coming in from the side of the cushion or the top of the cushion with the screwdriver? thanks again
It has been a few years since I've done this, but this diagram from Willcox does a pretty good job of showing how to perform the task. Use the screwdriver tool to push the seat cushion wires into the retaining brackets.

photo courtesy of Willcox Corvette

On the lower seat cushion, insert the front wire of the cushion into the retainers on front of the lower shell. Then push down on the rear of the cushion with one hand while using the screwdriver to push the wire down until it can be slipped into the retainers.

For the seat back, insert the wire on one side of the cushion into the two brackets on that side of the seat back shell. Then again using the screwdriver tool and while pushing the cushion laterally into the shell, push the cushion wire on the other side inward with your tool until it can be clipped into the brackets on that side.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out... GUSTO
Old 02-15-2018, 07:08 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I just did this in November 2017 ^^^^^. I did not use a screwdriver, just my hands but very difficult to install solo. Have a helper hold the cushion in place while you are applying hand pressure to the areas where the connections need to go and they will install moderately easily....

Get notified of new replies

To clam shell seats

Quick Reply: clam shell seats