C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1975 A.I.R. System

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 08:17 AM
Inca32x
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1975 A.I.R. System

I have a 75 convertible. I purchased a correct complete exhaust system for CA. I have the air pump, check valve, hose and tube that go’s to the exhaust pipe. The problem is the diverter valve dosnt hold vacuum, apparently no one rebuilds them and the few that Are for sale have no quarrenty they will work. What will happen if I run the system as is?
Old 01-27-2018, 09:41 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Manual transmission shifting may produce after firing between gears. That can damage your exhaust after some time depending on how severe it gets. Disable the system and the problem goes away while still passing visual inspection.

Diverter valves can be rebuilt but I would not go that route unless it was required.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Inca32x
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stingr69
Manual transmission shifting may produce after firing between gears. That can damage your exhaust after some time depending on how severe it gets. Disable the system and the problem goes away while still passing visual inspection.

Diverter valves can be rebuilt but I would not go that route unless it was required.
Mine is an automatic if that makes any difference. If I disable the system does it have to be were the air tube is bolted to the exhaust pipe or could it be blocked At the check valve?
Also who rebuilds the diverter?
Old 01-27-2018, 12:37 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Automatic cars might not be that noticeable. Try blocking the vacuum line to the diverter valve to prevent the vacuum leak and see if it does not afterfire when you let off the gas quickly. Try it first and decide if you really need it to be functional.

I don't know for sure if anyone still rebuilding those valves anymore. Don Dorfman did them but that was a long time ago. Bill Hodel or Greehoes are other names but I think they were all using Don Dorfman for the rebuilt Diverter valves. NOS are out there but they are HUGE money and they are VERY OLD so how long would they last?

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 A.I.R. System

Quick Reply: 1975 A.I.R. System