C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a custom hood for my 74. Should I try to customize

Old 02-01-2018, 12:36 PM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft
It's not all that difficult. I probably have about 12 total hours in this.

What did you use to build up the front? Did you use foam and carve it to fit or something else? If you used foam, what type? Getting ready to do my fenders and hood.

thanks

Last edited by 73racevette; 02-01-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:42 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm a smug elitist, so I had to have mine absolutely unique. Took me a loooong time.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Plasticfreak
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 106 Posts

Nice work!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Denpo (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 02:03 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 73racevette
What did you use to build up the front? Did you use foam and carve it to fit or something else? If you used foam, what type? Getting ready to do my fenders and hood.

thanks
I didn't build up anything. Just cut out the hood so the scoop would sit flush and glassed it in from underneath.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:08 PM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

?? Really? Looks like there is a raised portion extending from the front center of the hood into the hood scoop. Just wondering if that was made from foam and then glassed or some other technique was used.

thanks.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Denpo
I'm a smug elitist, so I had to have mine absolutely unique. Took me a loooong time.

And if I may 'say' this.....the end result was worth every second of the time you put into it. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

I know the numerous hood scoops and custom modifications I have done to hoods such a s raising the factory hood scoop. The amount of time I spend on the outside surface is one thing...and then I can spend even more time on the underside so when the hood is raised...it is smooth and can be wiped off easily with a damp paper towel and not leave shards of paper towel behind....and you can not tell where the modification was done.

I prefer my work not to be like a movie set. Where the outside of the set looks like a front of a building and 'picture perfect'...but when you take a step and look behind it...it is nothing but 2 x 4's and rough as a corn cob.

But that is just me and how I do it.

DUB
Denpo (02-02-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 10:34 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

very nice work . looks great.
Denpo (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 07:07 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

?? Really? Looks like there is a raised portion extending from the front center of the hood into the hood scoop. Just wondering if that was made from foam and then glassed or some other technique was used.

thanks.
That's the way the stock hood is.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

..... except..... that the original hood did not have the scoop open for air flow like what is shown in the photo. There is a piece of fiberglass that blocks off any air getting to the engine compartment and that block off plate also provides more structural strength in the factory hood where the panel can also vibrate when driven

If air can get a straight shot to the engine via a hood scoop...water can also do it if the car was driven in rainy conditions. GM obviously did not want that to happen.

DUB
Old 02-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

I have read that the 74 has one of the best factory hood set up for drawing in cool air.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I see a lot more custom hoods that didn't turn out so well than I see that did. I think most people don't have the artistry to design something that's going to look good. If I was looking at doing a custom hood I'd collaborate with an artist, give her/him some general ideas of what I like and have them do some drawings for me.
PainfullySlow (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 06:04 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
I see a lot more custom hoods that didn't turn out so well than I see that did. I think most people don't have the artistry to design something that's going to look good. If I was looking at doing a custom hood I'd collaborate with an artist, give her/him some general ideas of what I like and have them do some drawings for me.
^ this is some wisdom right there and I would absolutely do the same thing if I were going to try for a truly custom hood.

As it stands I really have a thing for the stinger hood and was planning on doing the exact same thing that Bash did earlier in this thread. Hopefully mine will come out that nice =)
Old 02-03-2018, 06:34 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DUB
..... except..... that the original hood did not have the scoop open for air flow like what is shown in the photo. There is a piece of fiberglass that blocks off any air getting to the engine compartment and that block off plate also provides more structural strength in the factory hood where the panel can also vibrate when driven

If air can get a straight shot to the engine via a hood scoop...water can also do it if the car was driven in rainy conditions. GM obviously did not want that to happen.

DUB
That's not what I was talking about. I was referring to the hump in the middle of the hood.

Honestly, I don't care if rain can get in there, it won't hurt anything.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alwyn678
I have read that the 74 has one of the best factory hood set up for drawing in cool air.
Yes...if you want to consider that it is a cowl inducted hood....but also do not forget that the air cleaner that also goes on a 1974 has 2 snorkels coming off of it that allows heated air to also be drawn into the air cleaner because these snorkels are behind the radiator.

And the 'flapper' that is in the hood would only open when you were at full throttle or darn near it.

So 'saying' that is was the best...I am not to sure about that...but it was an improvement...which led to the later designed air cleaners that actually drew the air from in front of the radiator...and which has gotten to us where we are today with cars having the air being drawn into the engine coming form a cool air stream and not air AFTER the radiator.

DUB
Old 02-03-2018, 07:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

That's not what I was talking about. I was referring to the hump in the middle of the hood.

Honestly, I don't care if rain can get in there, it won't hurt anything.
It is kinda hard for people to know what you are 'talking about'...when you do not make any comment on it specifically in any of your previous posts. I double checked ( thinking I missed something you wrote) and I knew I was correct...you made no mention of the hump in the middle of the hood

I am not judging what you do and I do not care if you care if water gets in on your engine or not. That is not my call and I did not mention you in my reply about it. It was referring to the correct factory design due to not clarifying what you meant.

Its your car. Obviously you do not have to worry about your ignition getting wet and soaking your air cleaner element if it is an open element if it is ever driven in the rain. Glad to know your have that all covered.

But some people MAY care to not get the engine compartment wet if they drive it in the rain.

I was clearly commenting on fact about the close out panel that a 1967 big block hood that your hood does not have. Excuse me for not being able to read your mind.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 02-04-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Emeightch
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glassed in my own...
Old 02-03-2018, 09:23 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

See post28.

thanks.
Originally Posted by DUB
It is kinda hard for people to knwo what you are 'talking about'...when you do not make any comment on it specifically in any of your previous posts. I double checked ( thinking I missed something you wrote) and I knew I was correct...you made no mention of the [B]hump in the middle of the hood[/B

DUB

Last edited by bashcraft; 02-03-2018 at 09:50 PM. Reason: No reason

Get notified of new replies

To I want a custom hood for my 74. Should I try to customize

Old 02-03-2018, 11:39 PM
Plasticfreak
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB

And if I may 'say' this.....the end result was worth every second of the time you put into it. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

I know the numerous hood scoops and custom modifications I have done to hoods such a s raising the factory hood scoop. The amount of time I spend on the outside surface is one thing...and then I can spend even more time on the underside so when the hood is raised...it is smooth and can be wiped off easily with a damp paper towel and not leave shards of paper towel behind....and you can not tell where the modification was done.

I prefer my work not to be like a movie set. Where the outside of the set looks like a front of a building and 'picture perfect'...but when you take a step and look behind it...it is nothing but 2 x 4's and rough as a corn cob.

But that is just me and how I do it.

DUB
"It is said............it will be done"
Old 02-03-2018, 11:42 PM
Plasticfreak
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Alwyn678
That is the look I want with a custom intake color. So I can buy this hood in primer and paint to my liking? How expensive are they? I wish I could buy one in Georgia.
Looks fresh.............
Old 03-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Plasticfreak
Melting Slicks

Just experimenting for now.............

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I want a custom hood for my 74. Should I try to customize