C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overdrive Manual Transmission: Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 11:38 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

5 speed ..

As far as looks - the Silver Sport shifter and install kit - no cutting installs easy.

Last year at the corvette shop that was to do the yearly inspection, the guy came in and said I cant get it into reverse, I forgot to tell him it's a 5 speed. Looks totally stock, including the reverse lock out on the handle.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 01-31-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:00 AM
502 C-3
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Love my TKO 600. BB with side pipes. Made driving so much more enjoyable....much quieter and love the low cruising RPM. Once broken in I don't notice much if any difference in shifting between the 5 and 4 speed.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:57 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
We all know this is a personal thing, so no right or wrong,....BUT, disadvantages of making this conversion include:

- cost - very expensive
- size - big old transmission fills the tunnel versus small Borg Muncie
- Many aftermarket improvements end up having a downside
- No more old school 4-speed feel....it now feels like a modern shifter, if I wanted that I would buy a modern Corvette....I don't want modern feel or character in my 77 Corvette
- hassle of all the necessary mods required
- No longer original in style or equipment
- Biggest of all....no more old school character...this is the #1 reason I am not interested.

Look, everybody who mods their car thinks they are doing the right thing, and they are, for themselves. That does not mean it is logical or smart, or any other definition. But quite often, people who make these mods seem to NEED to tell everybody else that they should do it on their car...or else you are a moron. My point in making comments is to not join the band wagon on every super duper mod, and try to provide a balance so readers can think about all sides.

I have modded motorcycles to the point they no longer are interesting to me anymore. I try not to let that happen again, and was the premise for which I rebuilt my 77. And I know if I put a 5 speed late model transmission in my car, I would like it less. Its that simple. Some of us like our old cars and motorcyles because they are old cars and motorcycles. If you want to make your car into something else,....go for it.
Cost. I agree, but that’s a personal decision.
Size. Irrelevant. It fits.
Downsides? None in this case.
Old school feel. It won’t transform a c3 into a c7, you won’t be confused.
Hassle of install. It simply bolts in. Is that really a hassle?
No longer original in style or equipment. The install is invisible, other than the shifter gate plate showing a 5th gear. It’s a transmission, not a neon pink paint job.
Old school character. I’m old school, but I fail to see your point in this case.

Some mods are not “logical or smart”. However, this particular transmission swap is very logical, and a smart move. I don’t believe there is a single mod more transforming and better than this.

You disagree. Ok, but stay out of the fast lane, you’ll be run over by a mom in a mini van.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:23 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I swapped in a BTO 700R4 in my garage. This was about 15 years ago and the kit was $1,500. Say $200-300 more for the better carb TVS adapter (purchased after), driveshaft shortening (sourced locally) and fluid.

I bought it for the deeper 1st gear and that when I do take it out on the road, it doesn't scream at me with the 3.54's I added with it.

My TH350C was slipping and sliding and was due for a rebuild so I discounted the conversion by that cost and the $$$ made sense.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:59 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
No longer original in style or equipment. The install is invisible, other than the shifter gate plate showing a 5th gear. It’s a transmission, not a neon pink paint job.
Old school character. I’m old school, but I fail to see your point in this case.

Some mods are not “logical or smart”. However, this particular transmission swap is very logical, and a smart move. I don’t believe there is a single mod more transforming and better than this.

You disagree. Ok, but stay out of the fast lane, you’ll be run over by a mom in a mini van.
Well said.
The following users liked this post:
AirBusPilot (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:16 AM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

cost/money
i don't know of anything without some kind of cost.
the things i have seen money time spent on
that i think are just a waste probably others say the same about me.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:38 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

The 4 speed was good when the speed limit was 55 and gas was $0.75 a gallon. But the ability to drive 75-80 and get >20mpg is what keeps my car viable.

I like to think that if GM had the capability to install OD transmissions in 1975, they would have. The Corvette was the technology leader back then and would have got the best tech available. All we are doing is keeping the car viable.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

I know you love your transmission mod, I don't. And your transmission has nothing to do with me being run over....I go quite fast enough with my engine and manual transmission combo. Nobody is running me over,...they can pass me and I really don't care. So once again, your fascination with a 5 speed is nothing more than your personal choice...no logic to it. And I am not interested in debating it... I really don't care what you or anyone else puts in their car.
I will never understand why the hell everyone has to be driving our C3 Corvettes at 75-80 mph. Other than the PA turnpike, the speed limits in PA on 90% of the roads is 55, and that is what I drive. Just because everyone else feels the need to go 20-30 mph over that does not mean I need to, want to or will do. The basis of this 75-80 mph argument is flawed and is irrelevant. I get 17-18 mpg out of my performance rebuilt 350, 3:55 rear end and original 4 speed transmission....I think that is quite acceptable. A 5 or 6 speed transmission in my car is worthless to me......why cannot people accept it? Because they need reinforcement from others that all the time and money they spend was worth it. Not getting that from me, ....sorry. And when people read these threads, they need a balanced viewpoint, since often times people seem ride the bandwagon.

Note: My 2015 F150 V8 gets 15 mpg with a modern automatic six speed transmission! Not impressed.
Wow! I guess my 77 is not viable....can someone tell me a good tow company to come to my house and haul this pile of **** to the dump? What a joke.....people trying to convince themselves they need to modify their car to be viable, ....and then drive is 2000 miles a year! I drive my car 5000-6000 miles per year....at 17 miles per gallon. Not a problem.
How do you really feel?
Torqued Off (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 03:53 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

I know you love your transmission mod, I don't. And your transmission has nothing to do with me being run over....I go quite fast enough with my engine and manual transmission combo. Nobody is running me over,...they can pass me and I really don't care. So once again, your fascination with a 5 speed is nothing more than your personal choice...no logic to it. And I am not interested in debating it... I really don't care what you or anyone else puts in their car.
“No logic to it”?

I’ve already explained the logic, as well as the facts. You don’t have to be Spock to understand the logic.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:57 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Nobody ever accused me of being shy!!!! You should work with me....wow!! Anyways, isn't that what makes the forum useful,....different viewpoints, etc.?

What is true, and I am guilty as well about other things, when we spend our hard earned money on something,.....we damn well want to prove to everyone and anyone that it was worth every penny.....smart......and necessary, even when it is not. That's my opinion on 5 speed transmission.

Saying its "smart" to put a 5 speed tranny in a C3 implies that if you DON'T put one in your car you are stupid.

Saying you decided to a put a 5 speed tranny in a C3 because you just want one, does not imply anything other than your personal choice.

People should learn the difference.
No one said you were stupid for keeping your 4 speed. But you keep hounding others for making the choice to make their car better.

If you ever come to Austin, I’ll let you drive mine. You’ll understand then.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:07 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveG75
Cost effective - No

Worth it - Absolutely yes

I only drive my 79 600 miles a year or so, so my 5 speed will never pay for itself in gas saved or engine wear saved but its worth it for making the car so much nicer to drive. I want to be able to cruise at 75-80 mph without the buzzing driving me insane even if I only do it rarely. If economy was the prime concern we'd all be driving 10 year old 4 cylinder cars.

Last edited by Priya; 02-01-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:52 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Old 02-01-2018, 09:09 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

The only car that passed me today was a soccer mom in a Lexus SUV.
AirBusPilot (02-02-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:29 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by calwldlife
cost/money
i don't know of anything without some kind of cost.
the things i have seen money time spent on
that i think are just a waste probably others say the same about me.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:30 AM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 359 Posts

we need to put this thread to bed ,I hope everyone has a good day ,and weekend!!!
Old 02-02-2018, 09:50 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

How is it that I am "hounding" others for making their choice?

I simply make comments and input to a thread about whether or not a 5 speed transmission is worth it, and I don't believe it is worth it. Other posters asked why I thought that, I responded.

Apparently to you any objection to that is "hounding". OK you win....I will shut up and suppress my opinion since the only satisfactory reply from me to you is to agree that a five speed transmission is worth it. Are you happy now that you got your needed reinforcement from me?
Calm down.

I again invite you to drive my car if you’re ever in Austin. We’ll go get some real Tex Mex.
Big2Bird (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 10:19 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

I will never understand why the hell everyone has to be driving our C3 Corvettes at 75-80 mph. Other than the PA turnpike, the speed limits in PA on 90% of the roads is 55, and that is what I drive. Just because everyone else feels the need to go 20-30 mph over that does not mean I need to, want to or will do. The basis of this 75-80 mph argument is flawed and is irrelevant. I get 17-18 mpg out of my performance rebuilt 350, 3:55 rear end and original 4 speed transmission....I think that is quite acceptable. A 5 or 6 speed transmission in my car is worthless to me......why cannot people accept it? Because they need reinforcement from others that all the time and money they spend was worth it. Not getting that from me, ....sorry. And when people read these threads, they need a balanced viewpoint, since often times people seem ride the bandwagon.

Note: My 2015 F150 V8 gets 15 mpg with a modern automatic six speed transmission! Not impressed.
Well, PA speed limits suck then. At least MD has some roads that I can do 65 on and you have to do at least 70 on the beltway to avoid getting rear ended.

Plus, moving to FL next week, so lots of nice fast smooth roads down there.

Get notified of new replies

To Overdrive Manual Transmission: Is it worth it?

Old 02-02-2018, 10:54 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I must say even in Rhode Island and southeastern Mass, I pretty much drive 80 mph all the time in all my cars, even my daughters 01 grand prix with 210,000 miles and counting and barely pass anyone in the left hand lane. Everyone drives at 75 MPH+ and the speed limit is 55 MPH (which is ridiculous, in my opinion).

Last edited by jb78L-82; 02-02-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Big2Bird (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 11:52 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

What ever kind of money I put in my bikes and cars, is not "is it worth it(money wise)"
If I did this kind of thinking, then I would only own a bicycle :- )

Have a great weekend all........
Old 02-02-2018, 09:39 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

I don't get it....what is the hurry? I like enjoying my drive, and try to be responsible and safe. Same on the Harley....with no windshield, 55 mph is plenty fast. Anyways, I am outnumbered....so I give up.
Big2Bird (02-02-2018)

Quick Reply: Overdrive Manual Transmission: Is it worth it?