C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb Question: Siphoning gas out of C3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:30 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Newb Question: Siphoning gas out of C3?

Anyone have any recommendations on the best, cheap way to siphon gas out of a C3 gas tank?

Just get a simple (really long) rubber hose that fits in the lid, then run the other end down to the ground? --How to start it? -I'm not going to go old-school and risk getting gas in my mouth.

Note: I'm dropping the tank for putting in an 82" fuel hanger / sender unit and my EFI fuel pump if this opens up more options for me.

Part of me wants to just leave the car running half backed out of the garage and wait for it to run out of fuel; there shouldn't be much in there and I'm getting rid of every inch of the existing fuel line, anyway...

Adam
Old 02-05-2018, 12:37 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

i bought a kit for a few bucks that comes with a squeezable bulb and a one-way valve that starts the siphoning action.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:40 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Any thought on whether just letting the car run until it runs out of gas is a bad idea for any reason?

I'm thinking that it might even help reduce the amount of fuel left in the fuel lines when I go to pull them off, too....

Adam
Old 02-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Adam,
I believe you'll find that if you disconnect the supply and return lines at the fuel pump, the frame rail lines will drain forward.
If you disconnect the supply line to the carburetor from the fuel pump the line will drain down.
This will leave you with some gas on the fuel pump and some in the carburetor.
Regards,
Alan
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 12:49 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Bought a hand pump from the auto parts for $18, took the 2 yr old gas out of the Camino. Figured there was plenty left, it literally got all of it
Stuff would not fire period...
Dont siphon

Last edited by cv67; 02-05-2018 at 12:55 PM.
NewbVetteGuy (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 12:54 PM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 771 Likes on 497 Posts

Cheep hand pump @Harbor Freight or other hardware store works great, , no mater how long you run it, still will have some fuel lingering in lines and tank, but this will remove 99% of it, or drive it till on "E" then drop the tank, ,,, it could take longer than you expect to -idle it empty-
Old 02-05-2018, 12:55 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Adam,
I believe you'll find that if you disconnect the supply and return lines at the fuel pump, the frame rail lines will drain forward.
If you disconnect the supply line to the carburetor from the fuel pump the line will drain down.
This will leave you with some gas on the fuel pump and some in the carburetor.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks for the tip! I think I naturally would've started at the tank just because I have to drop it; this seems like a better idea.

I think I'll also listen to Cuisineart's recommendation of an $18 pump because I don't have a high confidence that just running the car out of gas will get everything that's in the tank. (If it had my Holley Fuel Mat in it already, I'd feel differently, I think.)

Adam
Old 02-05-2018, 01:01 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

I've always used a squeeze bulb fuel primer for a Mercury Outboard motor that you can purchase from any marine/boat shop. Add a few feet of 3/8" fuel line on both ends and you can quickly remove all the fuel. I've had mine for years and they stand up better and last longer than the cheap plastic kits you can buy at any auto store. I've used mine over the years for my boats, lawn mowers, motorcycles and cars.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:06 PM
CA_WxMan
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
i bought a kit for a few bucks that comes with a squeezable bulb and a one-way valve that starts the siphoning action.
I've used something similar too. It worked alright, not stellar, but it was for better than sucking in a gulp of unleaded premium, and it was less $$ than just burning up the fuel that was left in the tank.

Another option that might work (never tried it) would be to use a handheld vacuum pump adapted to some 3/8" hose. Use the vacuum pump to suck the fuel up and out, getting it started, then disconnect it and let it flow.

Last option, if the car is still on the road, is to just go out, drive it and enjoy it until you're down to nearly empty. If you have someone to help, you can take the tank out some (1-2 gallons) fuel left in it.

Good luck with the swap. Someday I'll put either put this LS2 into my '71 or just convert it to FI - Not sure which way to go.

Chris
Old 02-05-2018, 01:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

This one, under $20 emptied 15 gal pretty quick why do it the hard way

Last edited by cv67; 02-06-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:53 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I just buy a length of clear PVC tubing from any hardware store and suck.
The clear tubing makes it easy to see where the fuel is and if it's long enough, you can run it from the tank to the ground and then up to standing height again so the chances of getting any in your mouth are slim to none.
Just my .02
Elm
NewbVetteGuy (02-06-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Had some rubber plumbing stuff laying around- hose clamps - an air hose end and plastic electrical conduit elbow.

Disconnected the fuel line in the engine bay-

Pressed it on the fuel cap opening-

Hooked it up to my compressor and completely cleaned out the tank and the lines- DONE!

Old 02-05-2018, 05:27 PM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
I'm not going to go old-school and risk getting gas in my mouth.
Candy a$$.

What's car work without a mouthful of gas...oil...trans fluid...antifreeze...yada yada yada from time to time? I seem to be particularly fond of soaking my hair in trans fluid, I've done it at least 3 times in the last 6 months.

And that OOOOOLLLLDDDD gas is best. That is some of the nastiest stuff I've ever had to deal with. Pour it on the ground and it sits there just like diesel, no evaporation, period. Wouldn't burn on a bet.

I'm just too damn cheap to invest in any kind of a pump. I use hose and suck to start the siphon. The more I do it, the better I am able to time it and avoid the mouthful of gas. I just look at it as part of the job.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Adam. I've used one simple method all my adult life, just get an 8' length of 3/8" clear tubing at Oreillys. Run about three feet of it into the tank and standing up straight slowly suck fuel up to no more than a foot from the top. You can see it coming up, then quickly cap the end with your thumb. Now take the capped end down to your fuel container setting on the ground, and release your thumb. If the container is getting full, pick it up and allow the clear hose to get some air and it will break the siphon flow.

When you remove the hose use a finger to open the spring loaded flap and keep it from getting bent. A little gas on the tongue is the cost of a good education!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:33 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 177 Posts

i just use a "jiggler" hose,
even has a wire to earth out to stop sparks.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:53 PM
gnuhaus
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Chassis manual has excellent instructions, use length of fuel line with 45 degrees slit cut near output end, use compressed air blower nozzle inserted in slit to begin siphoning. Simple, easy, reliable and inexpensive.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:40 AM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Simple.
I use a piece of that chrome metal tubing you see under your sinks, about a foot long, attached to a 5 or 6 ft long section of CLEAR vinyl tubing.
Insert the metal tube into the tank locating it to the deepest spot in the tank.
Position the other end of the vinyl hose close to the floor and , sorry, put it in your mouth and give it a suck.
You can see when the gas is coming to avoid a mouthful of gas.

Get notified of new replies

To Newb Question: Siphoning gas out of C3?

Old 02-06-2018, 04:06 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ezobens
I just buy a length of clear PVC tubing from any hardware store and suck.
The clear tubing makes it easy to see where the fuel is and if it's long enough, you can run it from the tank to the ground and then up to standing height again so the chances of getting any in your mouth are slim to none.
Just my .02
Elm
This is the easiest, cheapest way. 3/8" clear tubing, 10 feet or so long. You will be drawing clean air from the tube when the fuel gets down to the floor. At that point stick the tube in your gas can. You will not suck in fuel or fumes.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:49 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
This one, under $20 emptied 15 gal pretty quick why do it the hard way

Paid under $8.00 at Harborfreight. added 3/8 tubing so the hose wouldnt coil at bottom of tank. Two pumps and it gravitated to empty in no time!!
Old 02-13-2018, 07:22 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by redcruz1120

Paid under $8.00 at Harborfreight. added 3/8 tubing so the hose wouldnt coil at bottom of tank. Two pumps and it gravitated to empty in no time!!
I bought that cheap thing and the gas had dryed up the diaphragm in that cheap siphon. I purchased a 12v Gas Tapper and it worked like a charm.

Quick Reply: Newb Question: Siphoning gas out of C3?