C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Suggested Pump to Carburetor Fuel Line Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 12:23 AM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Help with Suggested Pump to Carburetor Fuel Line Please

I recently bought a 1971 from a life - long friend that lives in another part of the country. He had just about everything replaced or rebuilt in the last 20 plus years he owned the car with a pretty extensive list of upgrades.

One of the things not upgraded is the fuel pump to carburetor lines. Whoever did it just used rubber fuel line from the pump up to a metal double line (my friend is no mechanic, he paid to have all the work done). The lines that go to the carb are chrome metal with a piece of the same rubber fuel line in the middle of them connecting the two.

I'm not real comfortable with rubber fuel line around the engine and want to change to a safer system. The pump looks to be stock or a stock design. The carburetor is a Holley Street Avenger double pumper with two lines.

I'd like to replace what is there now with steel lines or something like one of those fuel line systems Holley or Russell make and either buy or fab the line from the pump up to the top to connect to the Russell or Holley Setup. The problem is I don't know what I need fitting wise etc. I have looked on the "net" but can't find any good how-to's.

If any of you have done this, please tell me what I'll need so I don't wind up buying three times the fittings, etc before I get it figured out. If I have to do any line bending or flaring its no problem, I can handle that ok.

Thanks

Last edited by stock76; 02-06-2018 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:49 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm pretty sure if you just call up Summit or Jegs they can help you get the fittings you need to run braided line from the pump to the carb.

I did that with my local speed shop and they sold me everything I needed.

It's not a steel line but I worry much less about leaks vs. my old rubber hose setup.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:46 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Look into using the LT1 fuel line. It may need some adjusting but should be pretty close. Or make your own line.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:07 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Lars has a tutorial on making up a line on here somewhere
Old 02-06-2018, 06:58 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Reproduction stock lines are available.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:18 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Assuming its a stock fuel pump, you can buy the line that goes from the fuel pump to the (stock) carburetor. That will at least get you to the top of the engine. Then you just have to connect the line to the carburetor. In my case I installed an in line filter between the line from the pump and the line to the carb. Made it pretty easy to make the connection, as well as to change the filter.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:57 AM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm with EasyMike - put the original steel lines back on (provided you have the stock carb and fuel pump). If either are not stock, then you'll get better advice if you tell us what you do have (and maybe include a picture).

Here's Zip's fuel lines: http://www.zip-corvette.com/68-82-c3...p-to-carb.html
Old 02-06-2018, 10:17 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
Assuming its a stock fuel pump, you can buy the line that goes from the fuel pump to the (stock) carburetor. That will at least get you to the top of the engine. Then you just have to connect the line to the carburetor. In my case I installed an in line filter between the line from the pump and the line to the carb. Made it pretty easy to make the connection, as well as to change the filter.
Doc Rebuild has an extensive inventory of Original pump-to-carb fuel lines. I've purchased for my 1980 L48 (Qjet) and his lines were exact.

Here's a quick link to his 'fuel line' parts: https://shop.docrebuild.com/fuelline.aspx
Old 02-06-2018, 10:45 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by stock76
One of the things not upgraded is the fuel pump to carburetor lines. Whoever did it just used rubber fuel line from the pump up to a metal double line (my friend is no mechanic, he paid to have all the work done). The lines that go to the carb are chrome metal with a piece of the same rubber fuel line in the middle of them connecting the two.

The pump looks to be stock or a stock design. The carburetor is a Holley Street Avenger double pumper with two lines.

I'd like to replace what is there now with steel lines or something like one of those fuel line systems Holley or Russell make and either buy or fab the line from the pump up to the top to connect to the Russell or Holley Setup. The problem is I don't know what I need fitting wise etc. I have looked on the "net" but can't find any good how-to's.

If any of you have done this, please tell me what I'll need so I don't wind up buying three times the fittings, etc before I get it figured out. If I have to do any line bending or flaring its no problem, I can handle that ok.

Thanks
You can't buy one of the stock replacement fuel lines as some people are suggesting - the fact that you are running a Holley SA carb means that you will need to custom fabricate a line for your application. If you e-mail me a request, I'll send you a how-to paper on building a fuel line. This paper has part numbers and in-line filter part number suggestions so you can build a line.

Lars
V8FastCars@msn.com
The following users liked this post:
stock76 (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 11:12 AM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
You can't buy one of the stock replacement fuel lines as some people are suggesting
Oops, not sure how I missed the paragraph where he listed his carb - I'll blame it on the coffee machine being broken this morning.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:50 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,655 Likes on 2,917 Posts

You can contact any Holley authorized dealer and order the correct fuel line that splits your fuel feed and will connect directly to your Holley double pumper carb without any bending or tweaking.
As Lars suggested, you can build your own solid fuel line from your pump. The tubing is inexpensive and the bending/flaring tools can be purchased at most auto stores or Sears.
I've been building my own fuel, water, brake, and hydraulic lines for decades.
If you build your own line, don't forget to leave clearance for your air cleaner.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:52 AM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 774 Likes on 468 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

I bought steel tubes from a well known fuel line maker for my stock LT-1 and they leaked like a sieve. So for now I'm running fuel line hose from my Y block to the carb. I have since replaced the original carb with a Street Avenger and will have to make some lines eventually also.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:55 AM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bradleyb66
Oops, not sure how I missed the paragraph where he listed his carb - I'll blame it on the coffee machine being broken this morning.
Ha, Ha, you too?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:43 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by bradleyb66
Oops...I missed the paragraph where he listed his carb...
Misery loves company - I missed it too.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:06 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If you use rubber lines use the spring type clamps that way if the rubber shrinks it doesnt seep. Know todays rubber isnt as good but its not like youre going to leave it on and drive 100k mi.

Sure steel lines are best but its not like a couple psi is going to blow a rubber hose apart.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 823 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by croaker
Lars has a tutorial on making up a line on here somewhere
Here is a "Lars" line on my LT-1......

Old 02-06-2018, 07:29 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Barry's70LT1