C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coil over vs transverse mono spring

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 05:52 PM
gitanodelnorte
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default coil over vs transverse mono spring

I am continuing to transform my '64 into a pro-mod. 509 BB Chevy/ Dart, Tremec T600 and C-5, 4 wheel disc brakes, and 17 inch wheels installed. Next on the list is suspension. After much research i am leaning toward VBP transverse front suspension and adjustable rear mono spring (like the '84 C-4 had) over coil over's. Coil over is heavier, more prone to maintenance issues, etc. Also new C-7 Corvette still uses mono spring, as well as Corvette race cars I have seen.. Anyone want to chime in on this one? C-2 and C-3 owners only please or Corvette expert mechanics. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2018, 06:01 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Order and read this book from Amazon.com

Old 02-08-2018, 06:29 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

The transfers mono springs are a decent setup for a non-race car. They are limited to a certain spring rate, but they are relatively stiff for a street based car. However, they don't cure all the suspension issues with C3's. You need to pay attention to all the little details (setting ride height to optimize roll centers, reduce bumpsteer of both front and rear suspensions, dial in the camber curves, etc.)

I found Greenwoods VIP article to be a good resource for starters. Guildstrand and Herb Adams have some really good articles too on C3's. They don't always agree with each other, but those guys use to race these cars and the information is invaluable.

I have the adjustable mono leafs on mine. I didn't use VB&P's kit, and I've done quite a few other mods along with those springs. Using really good street tires (non R compounds), I have managed some decent performance on the track - over 1g in turns and during braking.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:33 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gitanodelnorte
I am continuing to transform my '64 into a pro-mod. 509 BB Chevy/ Dart, Tremec T600 and C-5, 4 wheel disc brakes, and 17 inch wheels installed. Next on the list is suspension. After much research i am leaning toward VBP transverse front suspension and adjustable rear mono spring (like the '84 C-4 had) over coil over's. Coil over is heavier, more prone to maintenance issues, etc. Also new C-7 Corvette still uses mono spring, as well as Corvette race cars I have seen.. Anyone want to chime in on this one? C-2 and C-3 owners only please or Corvette expert mechanics. Thanks!
I think this might be the article mentioned.

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/vip.pdf
Old 02-08-2018, 10:42 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Yep, that's the Greenwood article. Here are two other links that have useful info.

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/ChevyPower.pdf

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/guldstrand/

Can't find the Adams articles online at the moment.

Last edited by Jason Staley; 02-08-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:50 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

http://www.superchevy.com/news/1509-...retrospective/

https://www.corvette-mag.com/issues/...e#.Wn0bIWaZNbU

I like yourself am trying to learn suspension modifications ( for me just to step up the game if you will but not for racing ). I owned a 2001 C5 which for me handled very well, so as I rebuild my 70 Coupe from the bare frame up I thought I'd investigate suspensions, man o' man there's a lot to consider.
I was turned onto the book I listed and it seems in depth but readable, I'm slowly getting my head around it.

I hope you find success in your pursuit.

Last edited by caskiguy; 02-08-2018 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 02-09-2018, 11:34 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I'm not sure how you arrived at this opinion?

Coil over is heavier, more prone to maintenance issues, etc.

Add up the weight of the mono , mounting brackets, and shocks. As to maintenance, I've had "ZERO" Adjustability is everything when you get away from being a stock car. Like altered wheel diameters and widths. I have QA-1 dual adjustable front and rear. Speed direct sells the springs in 50# increments

I can change the ride height in minutes. the shocks have twin dials for lots of possibilities, something like 18 choices on each rebound or compression. Spring weight changes. I could probably have the shock in and out in under 15 minutes
Old 02-09-2018, 12:01 PM
gitanodelnorte
Intermediate

Default thanks

Originally Posted by Jason Staley
The transfers mono springs are a decent setup for a non-race car. They are limited to a certain spring rate, but they are relatively stiff for a street based car. However, they don't cure all the suspension issues with C3's. You need to pay attention to all the little details (setting ride height to optimize roll centers, reduce bumpsteer of both front and rear suspensions, dial in the camber curves, etc.)

I found Greenwoods VIP article to be a good resource for starters. Guildstrand and Herb Adams have some really good articles too on C3's. They don't always agree with each other, but those guys use to race these cars and the information is invaluable.

I have the adjustable mono leafs on mine. I didn't use VB&P's kit, and I've done quite a few other mods along with those springs. Using really good street tires (non R compounds), I have managed some decent performance on the track - over 1g in turns and during braking.
Thanks for the reply. You mention the mono springs are good for non race cars. The Corvette's that race at Sebring and Lemans use mono leaf springs as well as all new C-7s including Z06 and soon to be ZR1, so they must be OK for racing. Your C-3 has impressive handling. I would be quite happy if I could replicate what you have done in my '64 C-2.. Wonder which kit you used if not VBP?

Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Thanks for the reply. You mention the mono springs are good for non race cars. The Corvette's that race at Sebring and Lemans use mono leaf springs as well as all new C-7s including Z06 and soon to be ZR1, so they must be OK for racing. Your C-3 has impressive handling. I would be quite happy if I could replicate what you have done in my '64 C-2.. Wonder which kit you used if not VBP?

Thanks again!
Sorry I worded that poorly in my original post .. fighting the flu right now. I meant to say I didn't use their full kit that included shocks, sway bars, etc. The adjustable mono springs are VBP's though. I have used quite a bit of their products like their anti-bumpsteer blocks in the front, spreader bar, and smart strut bracket in the rear.

When I said they are good for a "non race car" is nothing against the design or concept, but more about the spring rates available in the standard kit. Mine is far from a race car, and I've maxed out the spring rate in the front. Coil-overs have the capability to go to even a higher spring rate, especially if you were using racing slicks like Hooisers or Goodyears.

I've had the leaf springs on my car for ~20 years so obviously I'm not dissatisfied with them at all; however, if I build a serious track only car next time (instead of a multi-purpose car) I'll be putting coil-overs on it with probably 3 way adjustables.
The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:33 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Thanks again!
I just watched the 24 hours of Daytona. When I go to the ALMS races I generally get pit passes and go right into the garages. The Corvette Race cars have very little other than looks from a distance in common with the street versions. In past years I took pictures when they had them apart in testing before race day. Front and rear they have. Short/long arm double wishbone, fabricated steel upper and lower control arms, coil over adjustable shock absorbers It has been that way for the past many years for the #3 and #4 cars

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/corvette-c7-r/
The following 2 users liked this post by gkull:
73racevette (03-15-2018), caskiguy (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:25 PM
gitanodelnorte
Intermediate

Default coil over vs mono springs

Thanks for the reply. Funny when I talk to guys that have done coil over's or transverse mono springs each c-2 or c-3 owner swears theirs is the best. It's almost a religious thing, i.e., which solution is superior Since mine is still the factory big block gymkata I have no skin in the game so to speak. The kits are almost the same price. In fact, the full VBP transverse kit front and back with all the other stuff, shocks, sway bars, bushings, A-arms, etc. is actually more money than coil overs like Shark Bite, etc.

I used to autocross and win in the 80's when I had an LS-6 454 in the car and existing "old style" suspension with street slicks. That was then and this is now. Will do some more research but one thing is for sure. I will not be going to the track other than nostalgic drag races where it doesn't matter anyway.

Will continue my quest for the Holy Grail up suspension upgrades. rainbows and unicorns.Good luck with your project!
caskiguy (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:47 PM
gkull
Team Owner

If I had it to over again I would not have started out with the Vb&p street and slalom kit with some substitutions

550 front 1.125 poly with spring end links. 500 rear custom steel 3/4 with spring ends smart struts koni adjustable shocks. I used that setup from the early 80s to help out my 79 with wider wheels and wheel diameter

the 4 and 6 link rears with front coil are far superior. Shark bite is a more show than go. I talked to them early on and it is not a road racing track setup because I went to 295 f and 345 rear RR slicks. 700# f 520# r. With qa1s
caskiguy (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 02:12 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I would second the Coilovers as well! I decided to make my C3 into a nice handling show car as I have a dedicated race car for the track. With that in mind I went with the Sharkbite Rear suspension and as gkull mentioned I'd agree a little more show...but good enough for the street and I wanted the bling! I added Van Steel trailing arms with the Johnny Joints which required having the Sharkbite brackets welded onto the ends. Up front I went with Global West upper and lower control arms and coilovers as well. Following research and cost effectiveness I liked the Van Steel trailing arms as they seemed the beefiest over the other brands and I liked the Johnny Joint with grease fittings. Likewise, I liked the Global West control arms as they as well were the beefiest with the "Del Aum" bushings. I just finished the front end like yesterday so I cannot really comment on the ride but can say that the entire car seems like a much more stable platform. I also love the fact that I can virtually change the ride height of any corner and stiffness of each Viking shock as needed. Again, I did not go with the lightest for unsprung weight or best for racing use... I wanted good handling with best durability. There are all kinds of products out there from Detroit Speeds front end to an entire new SRIII chassis. I believe it all depends on what you want and where you want to spend your hard earned money.

Just my 2 cents!

The following 4 users liked this post by BlackRocket:
caskiguy (02-10-2018), Diablo427 (01-06-2020), jim-81 (04-05-2022), MrNatural (03-06-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 09:27 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I am by no means an expert but for what it's worth Danny Popp runs coil overs on his C3 and has converted his C5 to coil overs. He's a consistent autocross winner so that might be somewhat telling and go towards supporting what gkull and BlackRocket are saying.

Last edited by 3JsVette; 02-10-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:51 PM
gitanodelnorte
Intermediate

Default coil over vs mono spring unsprung weight advantage

Originally Posted by gkull
I'm not sure how you arrived at this opinion?

Coil over is heavier, more prone to maintenance issues, etc.

Add up the weight of the mono , mounting brackets, and shocks. As to maintenance, I've had "ZERO" Adjustability is everything when you get away from being a stock car. Like altered wheel diameters and widths. I have QA-1 dual adjustable front and rear. Speed direct sells the springs in 50# increments

I can change the ride height in minutes. the shocks have twin dials for lots of possibilities, something like 18 choices on each rebound or compression. Spring weight changes. I could probably have the shock in and out in under 15 minutes
Hello- Here is an article that says transverse mono spring solution offers an unsprung weight reduction vs coil over. Also, SCCA cars are using transverse mono spring as well. At the extremes of racing, Lemans & Sebring, it does appear coil over is the only way to go. Since i only do occasional nostalgia drags it does not really matter. i don't do autocross any more. Just want upgrade. Either solution is a major improvement over my 1964 suspension I think. Thanks again for your input!

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2012...vers-vs-leafs/
Old 02-11-2018, 06:53 AM
Dennis Tapp
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out the full Global West system front and rear. Best bang for the buck. Lowered front a arms and a bearing used in rear arms. Cost just a little more than a complete rebuild of your original system and have a updated suspension.
caskiguy (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 09:56 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dennis Tapp
Check out the full Global West system front and rear. Best bang for the buck. Lowered front a arms and a bearing used in rear arms. Cost just a little more than a complete rebuild of your original system and have a updated suspension.
I'm looking at the Upper & Lower Control Arm non-coil over along with the rear Trailing Arm with the bearing pivot.
Is this what you're referring to ?

Get notified of new replies

To coil over vs transverse mono spring

Old 02-11-2018, 11:00 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Hello- Here is an article that says transverse mono spring solution offers an unsprung weight reduction vs coil over. Also, SCCA cars are using transverse mono spring as well. At the extremes of racing, Lemans & Sebring, it does appear coil over is the only way to go. Since i only do occasional nostalgia drags it does not really matter. i don't do autocross any more. Just want upgrade. Either solution is a major improvement over my 1964 suspension I think. Thanks again for your input!

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2012...vers-vs-leafs/
I'm a SCCA person and yes I know that the T1 class vettes run stock looking front and rear monos. I know that the c5 - c7 vettes have a multitude of aftermarket choices like in your posted article Pfadt Race Engineering

Our old vettes have a more limited choice of monos. I researched all the possibilities after I decided to replace my VB&P setup. I wanted to do it once for the lifetime on my 79

Maybe the spring rate choices have been improved over the years. I've seen the rear dual mount mono setups. The QA-1 single and dual adjust shocks would help tune the mono setups.
keep us informed on what you come up with
Old 02-11-2018, 11:36 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,933 Posts

I am in the process of doing a complete resto/mod on my 73 C3, 496 bb. I asked the same type questions on the forum last year. The advice you are receiving and people who are giving the advice in this thread are some of the highest qualified and respected on the C3 forum. Read the articles they have suggested, I did. I then called the experts who are manufacturing the suspension components for C2 to C7 Corvettes and told them my exact plans for my C3 and what my ultimate use will be. I picked one, Dan at Van Steel who made the same suggestions as those on the forum that made the most sense to me. I converted my complete suspension over to coil overs front to rear, mainly for the total and ease of adjustability of my suspension and ride height that best matched my intended use.
Keep in mind there is no wrong answer or advise given to you in this thread and everyone has different systems that has worked best for them.
This can be sometimes confusing as there are so many options available.
It all comes down to what will work the best for your intended use of your car and how you set it up.
Go to the track and you will find everyone is running something a little different there as well.
Good luck, do as much research as possible, purchase the best quality products and you will end up happy no matter which way you go.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 02-11-2018 at 11:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldCarBum:
caskiguy (02-11-2018), jim-81 (04-05-2022)
Old 02-11-2018, 12:03 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlackRocket
I would second the Coilovers as well! I decided to make my C3 into a nice handling show car as I have a dedicated race car for the track. With that in mind I went with the Sharkbite Rear suspension and as gkull mentioned I'd agree a little more show...but good enough for the street and I wanted the bling! I added Van Steel trailing arms with the Johnny Joints which required having the Sharkbite brackets welded onto the ends. Up front I went with Global West upper and lower control arms and coilovers as well. Following research and cost effectiveness I liked the Van Steel trailing arms as they seemed the beefiest over the other brands and I liked the Johnny Joint with grease fittings. Likewise, I liked the Global West control arms as they as well were the beefiest with the "Del Aum" bushings. I just finished the front end like yesterday so I cannot really comment on the ride but can say that the entire car seems like a much more stable platform. I also love the fact that I can virtually change the ride height of any corner and stiffness of each Viking shock as needed. Again, I did not go with the lightest for unsprung weight or best for racing use... I wanted good handling with best durability. There are all kinds of products out there from Detroit Speeds front end to an entire new SRIII chassis. I believe it all depends on what you want and where you want to spend your hard earned money.

Just my 2 cents!

Di you choose the "extended travel" for the lower A-arm ? Seems that it would cover all the bases, would it not ?

Quick Reply: coil over vs transverse mono spring