C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI Intake Plenum inlet air restricting bump- kill it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 07:55 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Not that this matters....but has anyone every tried this.

I have and it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QBc59YZYxA

I often times get customers that want to get that last little bit out of their engine for whatever the reason.

I will say that doing an intake for an engine with a carburetor is something I would not do if the car is street driven.

DUB
My rant on the cost aside, I do find it really interesting that the Extrude Honing evened out the air distribution between cylinders; that's a benefit I didn't consider and don't really understand.

Adam
Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
Here's the weird thing: I talked to Ken @ FIRST and he said that the intake's EGR passage is solid cast now; it's not drilled out, nor cast with an EGR passage way... I'm confused why yours had to be filled.

Did you ask to have the EGR passageway put in yours?
-I know he keeps slowly changing stuff with the FIRST overtime, but now I'm confused why yours broke through into an EGR passageway that supposedly doesn't exist on mine...
Adam
I bought mine about 4 years ago (Feb 2014) so I suspect he's made running some changes over time.
I mean, why machine or cast a passage that no one even uses?
I don't believe I've ever seen one of these with a functional EGR so all that stuff should really be cleaned up and removed from the molds altogether at this point but everything costs time and money-
No, I did not request EGR, it came that way.
Elm
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Not that this matters....but has anyone every tried this.

I have and it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QBc59YZYxA

I often times get customers that want to get that last little bit out of their engine for whatever the reason.

I will say that doing an intake for an engine with a carburetor is something I would not do if the car is street driven.

DUB
Awesome video!
Reminds me of an adult version of a play-doh fun factory.

I've never tried it but if I won the lotto....
Old 02-15-2018, 01:40 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Update: I removed the bump from the plenum entrance-killed 1 of my 3 new sandpaper flapper wheels finishing it up but it's done and to my liking. (Never broke through to an open cavity in the EGR tube.)

My throttle body just got finished getting the thermal barrier on it, so I pick it up tomorrow afternoon and I'm going to knock the bump off of it, but I'm going to wait for a set of dremel carbide bits to show up because it just take way too much time and $$$ using just sandpaper flapper wheels to remove this much material.

I'll post pictures when I'm done, but it's my throttle body and intake so I'm going to make this little change knowing that it'll still probably make zero difference. Just having that little air and velocity killing bump right in the middle of the air path just drives me nuts (short trip, I know).

Adam
Old 02-15-2018, 06:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I understand that the majority of people would not use the Extrude hone. But there are people out there that have to get every little bit out of their engine for whatever the reason is. Even though the 'extra' they are gaining ...they more than likely will never use when driving it on the street. But its their money..so who am I to tell them no. If they fell good about spending their money on something....I guess that is why they made the money to spend.

DUB
Old 02-15-2018, 06:39 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
I understand that the majority of people would not use the Extrude hone. But there are people out there that have to get every little bit out of their engine for whatever the reason is. Even though the 'extra' they are gaining ...they more than likely will never use when driving it on the street. But its their money..so who am I to tell them no. If they fell good about spending their money on something....I guess that is why they made the money to spend.

DUB
Yep, I understand, I lean towards that mentality sometimes. But I'm also a cheap-*** so I have to feel it's a good value and, IMHO, I don't think Extrude Honing comes remotely close to anything resembling a good value.

-The fact that someone modeled my combo in EA Pro and then remodeled it again with a 1.85" inside diameter instead of a 1.75" ID and found that I'd LOSE more torque than I'd gain in HP and that my car would actually be SLOWER also makes it a no-brainer for me. (If I had a bigger cubic inch motor like ezobens, that might see some positive benefit, I might be more tempted to burn the money on such a thing.)

Adam
Old 02-15-2018, 06:40 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

When I port matched my crossfire manifold, it was me and my trusty Dremel and a few carbide bits (only 2 maybe 3). You can really clean up rough spots with the carbide bits. Should have considered running some sort of sanding bit down each tube, but was too lazy at the time.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:40 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
Yep, I understand, I lean towards that mentality sometimes. But I'm also a cheap-*** so I have to feel it's a good value and, IMHO, I don't think Extrude Honing comes remotely close to anything resembling a good value.

-The fact that someone modeled my combo in EA Pro and then remodeled it again with a 1.85" inside diameter instead of a 1.75" ID and found that I'd LOSE more torque than I'd gain in HP and that my car would actually be SLOWER also makes it a no-brainer for me. (If I had a bigger cubic inch motor like ezobens, that might see some positive benefit, I might be more tempted to burn the money on such a thing.)

Adam
You have quite a nice build going but I get the impression you worry to much about details that may enhance your performance but at a great cost of money or labor. I will guess the mods your interested in won't make a noticable difference in how you feel the car as you drive it but only in the quarter mile or dyno would you see it.

My advice is just put the motor and car together letting the performance parts do what they are designed to do.

Good luck.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:30 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Update: The bump is dead!

Throttle body "after" photo:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9&l=a195d68891

Plenum entry "after" photo:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9&l=b2b4fceb4f

Even if it does essentially nothing, for 1 hour's labor, I'm happy to have it done the way I want it.

I didn't put any oil/grease on the carbide bit so it got clogged up pretty bad... Live and learn...

Adam
The following users liked this post:
Pegan2261 (10-24-2021)

Quick Reply: TPI Intake Plenum inlet air restricting bump- kill it?