C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing valve seals: How?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 10:52 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Installing valve seals: How?

So I successfully removed my valve stem seals and am ready to reinstall them.

I bought this tool based upon a recommendation on here: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

How do I correctly use the tool? Just figure out which tip is the closed match to the valve stem seals' inner diameter, screw it onto the handle, install the seal over the handle tip then slide onto the valve stem???

I managed to keep these things in good shape so far so I really don't want to mess them up.

Thanks!
Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 02-26-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:29 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
So I successfully removed my valve stem seals and am ready to reinstall them.

I bought this tool based upon a recommendation on here: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

How do I correctly use the tool? Just figure out which tip is the closed match to the valve stem seals' inner diameter, screw it onto the handle, install the seal over the handle tip then slide onto the valve stem???

I managed to keep these things in good shape so far so I really don't want to mess them up.

Thanks!
Adam
Yep, that's about right.

Find the center pin that fits best (it wont be super snug, doesn't need to be), lubricate the top of the valve guide and push the seal into place using the tool. You may also need to use a rubber mallet to gently tap the seal into place. They should be pretty snug.
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 02:07 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
Yep, that's about right.

Find the center pin that fits best (it wont be super snug, doesn't need to be), lubricate the top of the valve guide and push the seal into place using the tool. You may also need to use a rubber mallet to gently tap the seal into place. They should be pretty snug.
Thanks, I thought so, but I successfully removed them without screwing them up so I really want to avoid messing them up so I figured I should ask before I try it.

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To Installing valve seals: How?

Quick Reply: Installing valve seals: How?