C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration damper oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 12:56 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

No. You are correct. I have seen someone put a smaller washer on for unknown reasons though. Interesting photo too. Positive cable to ground and all?
Old 02-16-2018, 01:51 PM
corvetero
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
No. You are correct. I have seen someone put a smaller washer on for unknown reasons though. Interesting photo too. Positive cable to ground and all?
Somebody decided that red color was OK for ground cable between frame and block. Bubba thing I guess...
Old 02-16-2018, 06:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetero
Somebody decided that red color was OK for ground cable between frame and block. Bubba thing I guess...
YEP.."Necessity is the Mother of all invention"....or.....

I have seen ground cables bolted to that area of the engine block so many times.

I do not care about the color so much due to if a person knows what is going on...it is not that big of deal in my opinion...much like how it is not bolted to the engine in the correct location. Purely semantics.

Odd thing is that GM also has the positive battery cable sleeved in black...so go figure...it can make a person go

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 02-16-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:51 PM
corvetero
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Odd thing is that GM also has the positive battery cable sleeved in black...so go figure...it can make a person go

DUB
I was about to say the same thing...
Old 02-16-2018, 08:03 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetero
Maybe I am wrong, but is not the washer in direct contact with the pulley instead the damper per se?
You are correct. The washer seats against the pulley. On my car there are two pulleys. That means to seal the oil from leaking past the bolt, one would have to seal the inner pulley to the damper, the outer pulley to the inner, the washer to the pulley, and the bolt to the washer. I would much rather stop the oil from leaking past the damper by sealing the keyway.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:26 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Most crank pulleys I've seen have a small flange or lip around the center hole that fits into the hole in the balancer. The big washer on the main bolt is always against the pulley.

Quick Reply: Vibration damper oil leak