C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get a quadrajet

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:10 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

...After all the warnings, photos, and write-ups I've posted here about those specific commercially rebuilt carbs...
Old 02-21-2018, 04:18 PM
Saddlehorn
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Quadrajet replacements

Originally Posted by dntoearthman
Google SMI (Sean Murphy Induction)
My Qjet was crap (and not original) when I got my '73. Got a rebuilt Qjet from SMI, he's in CA, with an electric choke and am very happy with it. The carb was $375 plus shipping. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:59 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lars
Peter ("twinpack" in post above) is going to send me his carb for a test and checkout before he runs it on his new engine. It will be interesting to see if this commercial builder provides a good carb. We'll keep you posted with test results and a fair evaluation...

Lars
Just finished testing and repairing the rebuilt carb that Peter bought. I'll let him comment on the issues we found, if he'd like...

Lars
Old 03-01-2018, 07:55 AM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by twinpack
I bought mine from Monza Carburetor. I think they are in Missouri. They should come upon a Google search. I think I paid around$400 for mine.
Here's a quick update. Although I purchased what I thought would be a like new reconditioned unit, after reading all this I took the necessary steps and sent the carb to Lars for evaluation and needed adjustments if required. Well to my dismay the unit was not what I thought I purchased. So be very causish when pulling the trigger. Lars found a multitude of issues and was able to over come them. Thank you Lars. I am finishing up my L79 rebuild, picking up my heads tomorrow, and will be do start up, brake-in and fine tuning with this Q-jet. I will let you know how it all works out.

Last edited by twinpack; 03-01-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:32 PM
dyerk
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dyerk

Lars
thanks for all the advice and to help me find a good rebuilder. Now let’s see how it goes from here.
so here the end to my quadrajet story. I found a renuildable core with the free service from Lars. I was going to try a rebuild myself but after pricing all the parts, books, cleaning fluids and my time and inexperience abilities I decided to send my carb to Lars for slightly more. He rebuilt and returned the carb with detailed instructions on gasket and how to set it up for a quick start. The carb is perfect!! Started on 1st crank and I did not adjust anything. In addition I have set my timing per his paper and this vette has never run better! If you are on the fence on a rebuild then have Lars set you up!

Lars, thanks again for the great service and sharing your knowledge. It makes this hobby more enjoyable for all of us
Old 03-20-2018, 05:12 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice job on the installation and setup - glad to hear it's running well for you and that you're having some fun with the car! Good work!!

Lars

Quick Reply: Where to get a quadrajet