C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Corvette - Radio Does Not Work With Key in Accessory Position

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:34 PM
rdupler2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1972 Corvette - Radio Does Not Work With Key in Accessory Position

Folks:

My brother and I are continuing to troubleshoot electrical bugs after full body off restoration of the car.

Here is the next item on the list.... The radio does not work with the key in the Accessory position. When you turn the key to all the way to on position, the radio works. We've looked online, thru the Assembly Information Manual, Service manual, schematics, etc., and are unsure what to try first. Could the issue be with the ignition switch itself? According to the pictures I've seen online, the ignition switch has 9 copper terminals where it appears either individual wires or a wire plug is connected. Could the issue be with one of the terminal connections? Also, tracing the schematic (I don't have it available here to view at moment), it references a radio capacitor. We have been unable to locate that or find any reference to it online or in the online Corvette stores.

Any help in getting started troubleshooting this issue would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Regards,
Roger
Old 02-14-2018, 09:47 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm not an electrical guru by any means, but it sounds like your problem would be in the ignition switch itself. Forget about your mystery capacitor. As you stated, the radio does work, just not in the accessory position. My car is all put away for the winter so I can't go out and check but does anything else work in the accessory position? Off hand I don't recall what else should work. Maybe the accessory position is dead in your ignition switch.
Duane
Old 02-14-2018, 09:56 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

has BUBA been wiring your radio???
Old 02-14-2018, 10:07 PM
oldboat
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

try adjusting the ignition switch on top of the steering column. loosen the screws that hold it in place and slide it fore and aft to find a position that the radio comes on.
The following users liked this post:
rdupler2 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 10:12 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

In the acc position- the wipers should work as well.

If the wipers don't- then you more than likely have an ignition switch issue.

See the drawing below-

If the wipers work- more than likely the radio has been connected to a source that is not on during ACC- like the gauges power source.

The brown wire goes from the ignition switch to the fusebox- and powers both the wiper and radio fuses.

BTW- the capacitor does nothing but eliminate noise in the radio.

rdupler2 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,260 Likes on 3,905 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I would check the plug into the radio. See if it's plugged in correctly. Then turn the key to accessories and check for power at the plug, then at the fuse box.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:24 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

Old 02-15-2018, 10:24 PM
rdupler2
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldboat
try adjusting the ignition switch on top of the steering column. loosen the screws that hold it in place and slide it fore and aft to find a position that the radio comes on.
Thanks Oldboat.... Is the ignition switch hard to get to? What needs to be removed to gain access to it?

Regards,
Roger
Old 02-15-2018, 10:34 PM
rdupler2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Richard454
In the acc position- the wipers should work as well.

If the wipers don't- then you more than likely have an ignition switch issue.

See the drawing below-

If the wipers work- more than likely the radio has been connected to a source that is not on during ACC- like the gauges power source.

The brown wire goes from the ignition switch to the fusebox- and powers both the wiper and radio fuses.

BTW- the capacitor does nothing but eliminate noise in the radio.

Richard:

As I recall, the wipers did work in the Accessory position. Will double-check that this weekend. We're doing all the work in my brothers garage so all the schematics and other documentation is over there and I can't refer to it and compare with your diagram at moment. Did that come from the schematics in the Service Manual? As I mentioned, when you look at pictures of the ignition switch sold online, it shows 9 terminals. Your diagram appears to show 6? But maybe what you are showing is not the same thing?

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'll be getting back on this Saturday morning.

Regards,
Roger
Old 02-16-2018, 08:24 AM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by oldboat
that's exactly what i did to my switch. It wasn't completely engaging and had to adjust it just a very little to fully make contact.
rdupler2 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:55 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rdupler2
Richard:

As I recall, the wipers did work in the Accessory position. Will double-check that this weekend. We're doing all the work in my brothers garage so all the schematics and other documentation is over there and I can't refer to it and compare with your diagram at moment. Did that come from the schematics in the Service Manual? As I mentioned, when you look at pictures of the ignition switch sold online, it shows 9 terminals. Your diagram appears to show 6? But maybe what you are showing is not the same thing?

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'll be getting back on this Saturday morning.

Regards,
Roger
Hey Roger-

It's a little of both- I have a PDF wiring diagram and made that drawing from it.

Here's a downloadable wiring diagram for your 72-

http://www.keystonestatecorvetteclub...tte%201972.pdf

IF the wipers are working in ACC- then it is not your ignition switch.
HOWEVER- somebody could have changed something is the past 45 years!!!

To verify- put a test light- or a meter then measure voltage at the fuse (radio and wiper) with the ignition switch in ACC. No need to chase your tail.

IF you see power- somebody has changed the source for the radio's power. Yellow +12V (ACC/IGN but not during cranking)
Black is ground and gray is interior light.

Richard

A 72 radio-

Old 02-16-2018, 11:09 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rdupler2
Richard:

As I mentioned, when you look at pictures of the ignition switch sold online, it shows 9 terminals. Your diagram appears to show 6? But maybe what you are showing is not the same thing?

Regards,
Roger
Here's the ignition switch- 9 terminals but only 6 are used

rdupler2 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 11:45 PM
rdupler2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Richard454
Here's the ignition switch- 9 terminals but only 6 are used
Richard454

I want to thank you for taking the time and effort to post all the diagrams, schematics, and pictures. They were all helpful and great for future reference and I will be eternally grateful for your help!

In the end, the issue was fixed by adjusting the switch location as proposed by Oldboat and Redcruz.

Oldboat, Redcruz:
Thanks for the suggestion to adjust the switch location. That is what fixed my issue.

..and thanks again to everyone for jumping in to help It's because of folks like you all that makes this hobby possible and fun!!

Regards,
Roger

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 Corvette - Radio Does Not Work With Key in Accessory Position

Quick Reply: 1972 Corvette - Radio Does Not Work With Key in Accessory Position