C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 steering column vs 74 or 75 column

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 12:43 PM
70s Vette Guy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 69 steering column vs 74 or 75 column

I just purchased a 69 (first pre- 70 I have owed) and I was thinking of replacing the original non-tilt steering column with a 74 or 75 tilt column, I have both from other projects and I just don't know if they are different in any way.

Do I need to be concerned with any of the wiring issues or other in putting the new column in the 69?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 02-18-2018, 02:23 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

All 69-75 T & T columns are basically the same. They all mount the same way, use the same turn signal switch, ignition switch, and column coupler. The hub and wheel are different on the 76 T & T column, but from the turn signal switch down, it's the same as the 69-75 columns.
The following users liked this post:
70s Vette Guy (02-21-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 06:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
All 69-75 T & T columns are basically the same. They all mount the same way, use the same turn signal switch, ignition switch, and column coupler. The hub and wheel are different on the 76 T & T column, but from the turn signal switch down, it's the same as the 69-75 columns.
It should be an easy 'plug and play' modification/upgrade. No hacking, slicing or dicing involved.

Take a careful look at your steering coupling (rag joint) and you might want to replace it at this time.

Even if the steering coupling looks fine visually...do this test.

Raise the hood (obviously)...roll down your divers window. Turn the ignition key to make the column not be locked. Reach down and grab the steering coupling with your left hand very good. While holding it and making sure that it can not move easily....using your right hand...grab the steering wheel and turn it back and forth and see if you can feel any movement down in the steering coupling.

IF you do....THAT amount of movement is...in my opinion....the beginning of the end. And the steering coupling is beginning to have 'free-play' in it.

And for what this is worth...IF a new steering coupling is installed...it is wise that when the steering wheel is turned all the way and it makes contact with the stops ....that person do not keep applying force in the direction that made it hit the stop. What this does is begin to stretch out and wallow out the rubber disc.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
70s Vette Guy (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 01:11 PM
70s Vette Guy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for the comments, I will go ahead with the switch.

Get notified of new replies

To 69 steering column vs 74 or 75 column

Quick Reply: 69 steering column vs 74 or 75 column