C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the largest battery I purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 04:04 PM
Randy1964
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the largest battery I purchase?

I have a 1969 427 convertible with no battery tie down.This is a driver and I just care about dependability.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:09 PM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

Optima red top , if the original clamping plate are still there in the bottom of the box, the optima comes with the clamp that will work to hold the battery in place

Last edited by bfit; 02-26-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:13 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

A 1969 Corvette with a 427 uses a group 78 battery, below is a 700 CCA unit from interstate. You need a battery tie down to prevent damage to the battery and the battery compartment.
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mt-78
Old 02-27-2018, 06:11 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

After 20+ yrs of optimas went with a walmart 49 buck battery. Better than any optima seriously even with less cca. Ill never buy another expensive battery again! Delco batteries rarely last me more than 1 yr
If you dont have a draw why spend money you dont have to?

Last edited by cv67; 02-27-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:32 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,631 Posts

H-m-m-m-m. Good luck with that N-EverStart.

You have to keep a trickle charger on any battery through winter storage. A non-active automotive battery loses 1% of its charge per day. That may not sound like much but after 30 days it has lost 30%. Two months is now 60% loss. This is why "on the shelf" batteries at the store are seldom fully charged. Who charges those? Nobody.

I have my Optima on a Delran Battery Tender all winter. But instead of charging 24/7
I have a 24 hr timer from Walmart hooked up. (The timer is like the ones that turn on a light when you're not home). It only activates the charger about 3 hrs a day. Plenty. Saves some wear-n-tear on the Batt Tender, keeps the Optima perky.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:43 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Works great, 220 lbs spring, just under 12:1 cranks harder and longer than the optima, never woulda guessed. So I removed the label who cares? If it dies go get a replacement!

If you have a drain on the system the best battery wont help ya.
-Former battery snob

Last edited by cv67; 02-27-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:06 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 177 Posts

i'm using a "NorthStar NSB-AGM78 Pure Lead12V 64Ah/1050CCA AGM Battery"

being downunder there is not many side mount batteries readily available.
car came with an AC-Delco, that was on it's way out.
then bought 2 Federals, lasted just out of warranty each time.
then got put onto the Noprthstar's, great, i have a tender on a timer to keep it topped up when not cruising regularly.
vette sat in mechanics workshop for just over 3mths not hooked up, walked up, turned the key, didn't even hesitate, fired 1st time.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:38 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

HEADSUP used to think the same. I figured if this batery lasted me 2 weeks no big deal. Its proven its worht
My Delco is one yr old and under warranty about dead. Ill be putting a walmart battery in it.

Try replacing one in an older MB lol.
Labels mean squat these days. Warrantys rock. its not a piston just battery

Last edited by cv67; 02-27-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:20 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
H-m-m-m-m. Good luck with that N-EverStart.
I agree. My last everstart cost $39 & only lasted 11 years.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have the interstate gel battery, that thing could start a locomotive truly a great battery 4 year free replacement. I keep a battery tender on it it's always ready.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:38 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Stoge
I agree. My last everstart cost $39 & only lasted 11 years.
Ever buy Lottery Tickets?
Old 02-27-2018, 09:04 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,335 Posts

I've had good luck with Costco batteries. One died after 4 years. Instead of pro-rating it, they gave me a full refund. I think the limit is 42 months now, and Costco sells Interstate batteries now. FWIW.

I don't routinely use a tender, but I do use a charger with a tender function, when I think I'll need it.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:17 PM
wadenelson
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Oversize battery, etc.

Originally Posted by Randy1964
I have a 1969 427 convertible with no battery tie down.This is a driver and I just care about dependability.
Randy, I've dealt with batteries and charging systems for years. (new member here). I'm an EE, previously ASE, and worked electrical problems on an assembly /remanufacturing line.

What you want for your car is the prescribed size battery, properly tied down.

Along with any repairs, fixes to any parasitic draws, insufficient charging, any reason that would keep a "regular" battery from performing perfectly. Even if you only drive it once a month.

I've always selected Interstate batteries, but have had Wal-Mart batteries, topped up with water once a year, last 5-7 years just as well as Interstates.

If you absolutely must trickle/float charge your battery, could I suggest a $15 Harbor Freight solar charger? Put it outside the garage in the sun and run the wires under the door. Works great, never overcharges.

Assuming you don't have an excessive parasitic draw, etc. A 1969 really shouldn't, unless you've added alarms, aftermarket stereo, LoJack, etc.

I suggest you find a qualified auto electrician to measure your parasitic draw, test your charging system (under 1 hour labor for both) effect any repairs and go from there.

Throwing an oversize battery in is .... a big ugly band-aid, at best, unnecessary -- and expensive.

You could also install a knife-blade or screw quick battery terminal disconnect -- available at all the auto parts houses for $25.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
mikem350 (03-02-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 01:36 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Costco, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club...etc

These batteries are all made at the same factories and labeled differently. Quit throwing money down the toilet. Wal-Mart sells at reasonable price and has a good warranty with it. Get a battery that is the same size and configuration called for in your Owner's Manual.

The battery with a lot of cranking amps is good for low temperature starts. If your car is left out in upper Minnesota in the winter, you might need one. Otherwise, about any decent battery will start your engine.
marshal135 (03-02-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 04:57 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Make sure you keep your receipt for a Wal-mart battery. I bought a 5 year warranty battery from them for my 98 Camaro. I tried taking it back after it lasted about 1.5 years. I had a heck of a time trying to just exchange it because I didn't keep the receipt. Didn't think i needed to. First they wouldn't do it because I didn't have a receipt. Had to talk to a manager. He reluctantly let me exchange it. But they had to test it first to make sure it was bad. That test takes 1hr (probably just to get you to shop in the store). Finally after the 1hr test they determined it was bad and let me exchange it. Then they told me this was the last time I could exchange it under the warranty even if the battery died the next day. The battery was their brand, had a couple of Wal-mart labels on it and had the date label showing it was less than 3 years old. Why wasn't that enough to let me exchange it? It would have been at AutoZone or Advance.

I will not go back to Wal-mart just because of the way they treated me.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:06 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehardt
Make sure you keep your receipt for a Wal-mart battery. I bought a 5 year warranty battery from them for my 98 Camaro. I tried taking it back after it lasted about 1.5 years. I had a heck of a time trying to just exchange it because I didn't keep the receipt. Didn't think i needed to. First they wouldn't do it because I didn't have a receipt. Had to talk to a manager. He reluctantly let me exchange it. But they had to test it first to make sure it was bad. That test takes 1hr (probably just to get you to shop in the store). Finally after the 1hr test they determined it was bad and let me exchange it. Then they told me this was the last time I could exchange it under the warranty even if the battery died the next day. The battery was their brand, had a couple of Wal-mart labels on it and had the date label showing it was less than 3 years old. Why wasn't that enough to let me exchange it? It would have been at AutoZone or Advance.

I will not go back to Wal-mart just because of the way they treated me.
My experience almost exactly. Except when they told me it would take one hour to test a battery that was dead, recharged and died again, I went to Advance Auto. Yes, I paid more than a Walmart battery, they admitted to me that they were getting too many warranty replacements and are following stringent warranty procedures.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Optima batteries have had a high failure rate, you cant give those away here. lol I have an Exide /75-700. with 630 CCA and 800CA was $85 eight years ago. lol it owes me nothing, and has never let me down. I keep a battery tender on it all the time i am not driving the car. That is why i got the life out of it i did. otherwise average battery life is 5 years

Get notified of new replies

To What is the largest battery I purchase?

Old 03-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Costco, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club...etc

These batteries are all made at the same factories and labeled differently. Quit throwing money down the toilet. Wal-Mart sells at reasonable price and has a good warranty with it. Get a battery that is the same size and configuration called for in your Owner's Manual.

The battery with a lot of cranking amps is good for low temperature starts. If your car is left out in upper Minnesota in the winter, you might need one. Otherwise, about any decent battery will start your engine.
I worked in a battery factory for awhile doing electrical work. The batteries were all the same with different labels. Only the Sears Die Hard was different. I believe 3 factories make all the brands. Been 30 years though.
Grumpy 427 (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 10:39 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Grumpy,
Sure like to see some documentation, graphs, charts & reviews of your statement.
A quick Google search shows 82% of Optima customers were happy with their purchase. The other 18% were not happy with the return policy offered by mail-order companies whose name I will not mention. (Who wants to pay the return shipping anyway, right?) My past experience is to purchase a battery through a store and let them fight with the company about return shpg.
I have had very good luck with the Red Top. I keep a trickle charger on it all winter.

Most people do not know how to recharge any AGM batteries. You can bring them back from the dead. You have to trick the charger into charging, but that's another story.

Extreme Off Road web site fellas virtually beat the Optima to death. Hard jolts, bumps, lots of cranking and discharged it several times with headlights left on and could not kill it. But that was the Yellow Top.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 03-02-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:19 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

Buy the biggest, baddest, most cranking amps battery you can find. I have a 1000 amp battery and it has lasted at least 5 years.

yes if you buy a standard cheaper recommended size battery you will save money and yes it is correct for a new car with great connections that has no heat soak issues in the starter/solenoid, that the car is driven daily and has a fresh very good condition charging system with no major draws while it is sitting. forcing you to use a trickle charger.

a well buttoned up factory system that you drive daily should never need a trickle charger.

my car sits all winter, does have some heat soak issues in which it cranks slowly when hot, it has some extra battery draw while off in an aftermarket radio, then I only drive it every 2 weeks even in the summer.

the biggest battery you can find will resolve to a great degree all these issues and your car will be reliable.

a 500 amp battery will barely even crank your engine after 3 years because all batteries lose 10% power per year.

Quick Reply: What is the largest battery I purchase?