C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on how to repair hood edge

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Flye
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on how to repair hood edge

If I can find someone that knows Corvette fiberglass within a decent radius of Southeast Virginia, I'm still going to take this to have it fixed by a professional. But on the chance that I wind up tackling myself, are there any immediate "do's and don'ts" on how to correctly fix a corner on a C3 hood? I've done some fiberglass work but usually in a hidden patch or strength situation. This is going to be front and center. My main concern is the 'top surface' that will ultimately be painted. I don't want there to be an obvious patch there and I don't just want to wind up with bondo on it just to hide it initially with it showing up later. I also don't want to wind up grinding out half the hood because I over sand every time, etc.

There is also a crack in the support structure on the underside of the hood, but that isn't as big of an issue on final look. I think I can handle that one via the standard repair videos online and previous efforts that are closer to that type work. The edge and being on top surface is a bit more tricky for me.

Tips? Thanks,

Thanks for any help. OH, and I'm totally open to suggestions on good fiberglass repair in Virginia, northeastern NC or Eastern Shore. Thanks,
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Maybe this should be moved to the paint and body section so the pros can help out. Good luck.
Duane
Old 03-11-2018, 05:18 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

If I was down you way (I live in Warrenton, Va) I'd take it to Dan Shore at FantomWorks.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:14 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

That's an easy repair. The process if I was doing it would be:
  1. Grind at a shallow angle on top of the hood. The grind area needs to be 1" wide or a little more all the way around the damage.
  2. Double layer of masking tape around the ground area.
  3. Tape a plastic bondo spreader under the hood (fiberglass won't stick to bondo spreaders).
  4. Mix resin and use a cheap 1" brush cut down to make it stiffer. The cheaper the brush the better it works. I used the $0.79 ones from Home Depot/Lowes. Never brush resin,always dab.
  5. Keep adding resin and mat until it is higher than the top of the hood.
  6. Grind it down with an angle grinder with a 40 grit flap wheel. This is why you added the tape, it tells you when to stop grinding.
  7. Finish with a thin layer of bondo and block it down with 80 grit and it's ready for primer.

Some pictures showing the same repair on the front edge of a door.

The repair was done in 2008. Still looks fine 10 years later.

Last edited by zwede; 03-11-2018 at 06:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zwede:
caskiguy (03-11-2018), jim-81 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-11-2018, 08:18 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default I won't go there.

Originally Posted by theandies
If I was down you way (I live in Warrenton, Va) I'd take it to Dan Shore at FantomWorks.
The same Fantomworks that remove's dimples like this?

Old 03-11-2018, 11:46 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
The same Fantomworks that remove's dimples like this?

Looks pretty good to me:

Yes, the same shop that made a custom split window hardtop FROM SCRATCH. I think they know what they are doing.

Just because YOU may not approve of the way his shop repairs some things doesn't make it wrong. My guess is if there are any problems with the above repair Dan would make it right.

There are more that one way to skin a cat as the saying goes.

Last edited by theandies; 03-11-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Flye
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry that I just totally missed paint and body. yes, agreed, that would have been far better place to post this initially. Thanks again for all.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions on how to repair hood edge

Quick Reply: Suggestions on how to repair hood edge