C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing thermostat & goose neck

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 12:45 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Much of the need for sealant these days is the sh!++y quality of gaskets you get. Most are just cheap paper with little or nothing impregnated in the paper to allow it to seal. Also, these chrome housings have mating surface that is TOO smooth for it to seal. You need to rough them up a bit for the gasket to get a 'bite'.

At least, that's been my experience...
Old 03-16-2018, 11:12 AM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
If the aluminum is in good shape on the intake.....then no sealant is needed if it is FLAT.

Take the water neck and put a piece of 80 grit on a flat plate or granite stone to check and make the surface flat. Do this to the intake also if it is off the engine of course.

And that is exactly what I did with my OEM GM neck......I also heli-coiled the intake and used ARP bolts......I'll never have a problem.

Jebby
Jebby, what is that gauge in the bottom picture?
Old 03-16-2018, 11:50 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,563 Posts

Originally Posted by jim-81
Jebby, what is that gauge in the bottom picture?
Lol....I have had a couple people ask since I posted the pic.....it is a small water temp gauge.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-108LK...item2cbc2667c9

It is a great little unit.....within a few degrees of my Infrared.....and great to compare against the stock crap gauge.....
I also have an oil pressure and fuel pressure under the hood....I guess I spent too many years around a
dyno

Jebby

Jebby
Old 03-16-2018, 01:12 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
Thanks everyone; I had to go with an adjustable gooseneck to ensure it would clear all the throttle assembly bits so just assembled it a few weeks back to make sure everything would clear. It’s actually an oring design so I guess I’m good as-is except for adding some anti seize to the bolts.

Adam
Make sure your t-stat bolts don't bottom out. It happened to me as well as others. The bolts will sometimes bottom out with a new t-stat housing. You can keep tightening the bolts until something gives but the leaking won't stop.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:23 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Also put a bit of gasket sealer on the last few threads of each of those bolts. Machining the threads in the intake manifold can open up porosity that connects to the water passage.

Quick Reply: Installing thermostat & goose neck