C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dieseling at shut off

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 12:22 AM
ddtully
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dieseling at shut off

I have a big block 427 motor on a 66' corvette and I can't seem to get the dieseling to stop after turning off ignition. This forum has been very helpful with some suggestions but I am now desperate for a more definitive solution. I have spend so much time in the garage trying to correct this issue.

So much appreciated,

David
Old 03-13-2018, 03:23 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Idle too high or timing too far advanced?
The following users liked this post:
ddtully (03-30-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:35 AM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Throttle plate open too far. This usually happens when not enough base timing or vac advance not used or not connected to manifold vac.

Tom
Old 03-13-2018, 08:35 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 445 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Greg is right on.
If I start my 68 427 briefly with out allowing it to warm up it will run on at shut off.
A properly warmed 427 and properly timed should not run on.
A 4speed car should have a warmed idle of 750 rpms and initial timing should be 16-18*
Marshal
Old 03-13-2018, 10:34 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ddtully
I have a big block 427 motor on a 66' corvette and I can't seem to get the dieseling to stop after turning off ignition. This forum has been very helpful with some suggestions but I am now desperate for a more definitive solution. I have spend so much time in the garage trying to correct this issue.

So much appreciated,

David
My '69 350 did that. Idle was just a bit high.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:45 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
Throttle plate open too far. This usually happens when not enough base timing or vac advance not used or not connected to manifold vac.

Tom
This is your problem.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:02 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

No one will like this, but my 425 has the factory timing and idle speed.
It will diesel every time I skimp on octane. I can get it to stop when using 91 octane and retarding the timing, but loose mega HP.

Dom
Old 03-13-2018, 01:05 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by domenic tallarita
No one will like this, but my 425 has the factory timing and idle speed.
It will diesel every time I skimp on octane. I can get it to stop when using 91 octane and retarding the timing, but loose mega HP.

Dom
The throttle plates are open too far. Do whatever you have to too close them up a bit.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:32 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft
The throttle plates are open too far. Do whatever you have to too close them up a bit.
I respect that good advice, but it runs soooo good with the right octane and stock settings. I guess being a old Chevy mechanic I wanted a engine
just the way it was and ran back then with all the same parts that GM built them with.
It did it with the stock Holley also. I adapted a Q-jet to it and upped the power and fuel economy, but it still wants good gas.
I did get some advice here on the forum about changing the vac can and distributor springs, and that might be what I need to close them a bit.

Dom
Old 03-13-2018, 10:01 PM
ddtully
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Greg
Thank you Greg as I have not yet considered to check my timing or idle and will give that a try.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:02 PM
ddtully
Intermediate

Originally Posted by marshal135
Greg is right on.
If I start my 68 427 briefly with out allowing it to warm up it will run on at shut off.
A properly warmed 427 and properly timed should not run on.
A 4speed car should have a warmed idle of 750 rpms and initial timing should be 16-18*
Marshal
I am going to check this today
Old 03-13-2018, 10:03 PM
ddtully
Intermediate

Thank you Greg. Others have been suggestion this too and will be giving this a try to see if I can get the right amount of idle/mixture to prevent the run on.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:01 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

I don't disagree that timing could be too advanced leading to detonation leading to hot spots in the combustion chamber, however I would suspect too low of initial timing first.

When the initial timing is set too low it leads to very hot exhaust and combustion chamber and forces you to open the throttle blades farther to get it to idle making dieseling more likely. Too much heat in the combustion chamber and a throttle opening seems to be the cause for run-on or dieseling from what I'm seeing with guys here.

If there is a lot of carbon built up in the combustion chamber this can be a contributing factor as well. Do you plugs look pretty sooty or black when you pull them? If so then the chamber is likely in a similar condition if it has run for any length of time like that.

Water poured slowly into the carb while holding the RPM up to maybe 3000 or so on a fully warmed up engine can clean carbon out.

I can't get mine to run-on even if I hold the throttle at 2500 RPM and turn the key off. But I'm running aluminum heads (less heat in chamber) and have the timing set to 19* BTDC for the cam I'm running which allows me to close the throttle blades for idle.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:34 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Usually the issue is excessively opened throttle blades (regardless of idle speed) due to the timing being too retarded from optimum.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:57 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
I don't disagree that timing could be too advanced leading to detonation leading to hot spots in the combustion chamber, however I would suspect too low of initial timing first.

When the initial timing is set too low it leads to very hot exhaust and combustion chamber and forces you to open the throttle blades farther to get it to idle making dieseling more likely. Too much heat in the combustion chamber and a throttle opening seems to be the cause for run-on or dieseling from what I'm seeing with guys here.

If there is a lot of carbon built up in the combustion chamber this can be a contributing factor as well. Do you plugs look pretty sooty or black when you pull them? If so then the chamber is likely in a similar condition if it has run for any length of time like that.

Water poured slowly into the carb while holding the RPM up to maybe 3000 or so on a fully warmed up engine can clean carbon out.

I can't get mine to run-on even if I hold the throttle at 2500 RPM and turn the key off. But I'm running aluminum heads (less heat in chamber) and have the timing set to 19* BTDC for the cam I'm running which allows me to close the throttle blades for idle.
you got it as you need heat to fire the gasoline that that is sucked into the camber. closing down the butterflies will stop the fuel and air but you still have something hot enought in there to light the fire

Last edited by PAmotorman; 03-14-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:14 PM
ddtully
Intermediate

Default BTC recommended setting?

Can you recommend the optimal BTC setting?
Old 04-01-2018, 11:58 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,922 Likes on 1,929 Posts

E-mail me for my papers on that subject.

Lars
V8FastCars@msn.com

Get notified of new replies

To Dieseling at shut off

Quick Reply: Dieseling at shut off