C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Decision Time: Help Me Spend more $$

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 12:21 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Update: KMJ Performance is more of a gamble than I thought. They refused to reply to my question about their warrantee or return policy in writing and caveated every statement over the phone with "usually" and vague generalities.

Even if I just test fit the valve covers and they don't fit, they'll apply a 15% restocking fee, I pay shipping on the return. I understand paying the return shipping but a restock fee is pretty unacceptable.

Even on an EXCHANGE for another set of valve covers that may fit better, it's up to the individual person your working with to decide to wave the restock fee.

If your purchase items indirectly from them through other websites, the restocking fee policy changes to reflect the site you purchased from. If you can find an Amazon Prime seller, I can see this being a safe option, but beyond that buyer beware.

My fitament challenges with the raised rail heads, requirement for a thick gasket for good sealing with fabricated valve covers, and the weird FIRST intake's runners overhanging the valve covers, I think means I need to buy from someone who doesn't have a restock fee... and is less of a gamble...

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 03-16-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:21 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
That sure is a look.

The alternator bracket is the stock steek bracket with a carbon fiber-inspired wrap?

Those coils are MASSIVE; never seen any coils that large; Pantera EFI IGN-1A or???...

Adam
The coils are part of the Holly Sequential multi port system I chose over a carb for my SBC 427

I hydro dipped brackets water pump fuel rails and valve covers.. It is unique to say the least lol
Old 03-16-2018, 12:48 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by diehrd
The coils are part of the Holly Sequential multi port system I chose over a carb for my SBC 427

I hydro dipped brackets water pump fuel rails and valve covers.. It is unique to say the least lol
The Holley "Smart Coils"? -I think those actually ARE rebranded IGN-1As. [Edit] LS1Tech agrees that the Holley Smart Coils ARE the IGN-1as. I think I saw a post by the PanteraEFI guy confirming that the Holley coils are the IGN-1As rebranded but I can't find it at the moment. I think you have the best ignition coils in the business. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...556-112-a.html

More info on "the king of coils": https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ign-1a-race-coil/ 103mj and can support a spark duration of 2.9ms -a lightning bolt generator!
[Edit2] Found where Lance @ PanteraEFI confirmed that the Holley coils are his and are required for NHRA Prostock events now. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post19165436
Awesome.

I also went with the Holley Sequential Multiport system, but for my lowly 350 and just old LS coil truck takeoffs.

-You seem to have good taste in everything except valve covers; what happened?! lol!

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 03-16-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:49 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Update to my Update:

Found an Amazon Prime seller selling the KMJ Anodized valve covers for $72.11 with free Prime Shipping and free Prime returns if they don't fit. woot!

Amazon Amazon
[Edit] For anyone finding this in the future; the Top Street Perf Amazon site doesn't sell gaskets, breathers, or breather grommets via the Amazon store so you have to either order them directly from their proper website, or the KJM website or get them from somewhere else of your choosing. -Either way, I don't think you can find TIG welded tall anodized aluminum valve covers cheaper than this. (I've got the Honey Chrome plug-in installed and it confirms that it's the cheapest price found by the Honey app.)

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 03-16-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:59 PM
Fredtoo
Pro

Received 293 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Vett
another option is full custom made valve covers, these were CNC cut from Billet Aluminum Block.
these are small block Valve covers, custom made.
engrave, anodize, or powder coat, you chose what you want.

Where is the oil filler on these smooth top valve covers?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:20 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fredtoo
The CNC can just mill the oil filler holes in for an extra $300...

Adam
Old 03-16-2018, 06:24 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
The Holley "Smart Coils"? -I think those actually ARE rebranded IGN-1As. [Edit] LS1Tech agrees that the Holley Smart Coils ARE the IGN-1as. I think I saw a post by the PanteraEFI guy confirming that the Holley coils are the IGN-1As rebranded but I can't find it at the moment. I think you have the best ignition coils in the business. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...556-112-a.html

More info on "the king of coils": https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ign-1a-race-coil/ 103mj and can support a spark duration of 2.9ms -a lightning bolt generator!
[Edit2] Found where Lance @ PanteraEFI confirmed that the Holley coils are his and are required for NHRA Prostock events now. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post19165436
Awesome.

I also went with the Holley Sequential Multiport system, but for my lowly 350 and just old LS coil truck takeoffs.

-You seem to have good taste in everything except valve covers; what happened?! lol!

Adam

I love the skulls it so NOT Corvette .. So is the rear Fab 9 4 link out back ..
Old 03-19-2018, 04:53 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Fredtoo
PVC is vented on back side, near top of valve covers.
I pull one of the covers to add oil.
this engine is not in a corvette, it is in a Camaro !

Last edited by 69Vett; 03-19-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:16 AM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by diehrd
Skip White stuff. Valve covers I hydro dipped
If I may ask what pulley is that you have on the steering pump?
Does it fit with short water pump?

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Decision Time: Help Me Spend more $$