C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIll these wheels fit?

Old 03-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Be careful using backspacing numbers when comparing wheels of different widths. A 4.5" backspace with a 8" wide wheel puts the wheel in a different location than a 4.5" backspacing on a 9" wide wheel. The 8" wheel would be centered over the hub face but the 9" wheel would be offset towards the outside of the hub face by 0.5". Offset is the better way to compare wheels of different widths.
help me understand how offset tells me how much clearance I have for the wheel before it hits the tie rod for example. Because far as I can tell you have to take the offset subtract it from the width then go measure from the offset to the tie rod to make sure you have enough clearance. Which sounds to me like you are still measuring the backspacing.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:13 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
help me understand how offset tells me how much clearance I have for the wheel before it hits the tie rod for example. Because far as I can tell you have to take the offset subtract it from the width then go measure from the offset to the tie rod to make sure you have enough clearance. Which sounds to me like you are still measuring the backspacing.

Use whatever works for you.

You could happen to compare an existing wheel and find there is a little over 1/2" of clearance on the inside and outside which means buy a wheel 1" wider with the same offset.

Last time I picked a set of wheels I found they'd work best centered to the flange or with 0mm offset. I started by looking at the available sizes of 0mm offset wheels to narrow it down to styles with the widths and diameters I might want. In this case, I would be have been OK with 8" for the front and 8" or 9" for the rear in 17" or 18" or a 17"/18" combination.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:55 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
Some of you have done this, it would be nice if people would post their tire size also when saying I put 18x10 on the front of my car. A 10in wide tire that is only 25 in tall is not going to rub on the same things as a tire that is 27in tall. My stock 255/60r15s rubbed the frame on stock wheels at full lock for example.
For the OP and others contemplating 18" wheels, this thread should be helpful.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ly-thread.html
Old 03-21-2018, 10:10 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Use whatever works for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WIll these wheels fit?