C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temperature gauge reading low?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:15 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by drwet
I was hoping you would chime in on this one. I agree your adjustable resistor is by far the best solution. It would appear that GM used this as a means of adjusting the operational range of the gauge. Unfortunately I don't think I can spare the time to install it for this driving season, and I'm considering the parallel resistor as an interim fix. I just need to know how much current the resistor needs to be able to withstand. (It would also be helpful to know what resistance value I am aiming for , but again, trial and error will get me there if necessary.)
It won't work...

For one, a gauge reading low... adding resistance on the input wire will only make it read lower...

I've posted what we deem as the required inputs for the 1979 gauge below... but if you look the lower the ohms reading the higher the gauge reading. so adding ohms input on the input wire will only lower the reading further. (and you can see by the required inputs that the gauge is non leaner).

Taking the center cluster out of a 1977-1982 isn't really all that hard... but if you add resistance to the input you're just going to make the gauge read higher.. you can't take resistance out of the the wire...

This is exactly why we made the gauge resistor.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 03-18-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:31 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Originally Posted by drwet
So I did some diagnostics. The gauge reads zero with the sender disconnected and it pegs full field when I ground the sender lead. That tells me the gauge is working, more or less.

I took my IR temperature gun and ohmmeter and read the resistance across the sender at various temperatures as the car was warming up. (I read the temperature at the sender.) Here are some of the values I got.

53 deg. F 4500 ohms
120 deg. F 1400 ohms
160 deg. F 800 ohms
180 deg. F 540 ohms
188 deg. F 440 ohms

At 188 deg. F my gauge in the car reads about 120 which is about 440 ohms.

The only information I could find on what my readings should be was for 68-74. Does anyone know what the resistance values should be for a good sender on a '79?
Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
It won't work...

For one, a gauge reading low... adding resistance on the input wire will only make it read lower...

I've posted what we deem as the required inputs for the 1979 gauge below... but if you look the lower the ohms reading the higher the gauge reading. so adding ohms input on the input wire will only lower the reading further. (and you can see by the required inputs that the gauge is non leaner).

Taking the center cluster out of a 1977-1982 isn't really all that hard... but if you add resistance to the input you're just going to make the gauge read higher.. you can't take resistance out of the the wire...

there be a clue
Old 03-19-2018, 12:03 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I think your issue is the Teflon tape you put on the sender threads. The joint between sender and engine block is the 'ground' connection to that temp system.

You can "test" this theory by rigging a simple 'bypass' wire which connects the sender body to a ground point anywhere on the engine block. If you install that [temporary] jumper wire and the gauge then starts reading correctly, Teflon tape on the threads is your problem.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 03-19-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:05 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

I think your issue is the Teflon tape you put on the sender threads. The joint between sender and engine block is the 'ground' connection to that temp system.

You can "test" this theory by rigging a simple 'bypass' wire which connects the sender body to a ground point anywhere on the engine block. If you install that [temporary] wire and the gauge then starts reading correctly, Teflon tape on the threads is your problem.

With a 'helper', you can take the sender out of the head, quickly plug the hole with your thumb (or other finger...or your 'helper's' finger ), put some plumber's pipe dope on the threads and reinstall it in the head. No need to drain any antifreeze.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:20 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
It won't work...

Thank you for that. You're partially correct. Adding a resistor will certainly work - its just a matter of how well. You have to put the resistor in parallel with the sender to reduce the resistance, not series. However, now that I know what the resistance at the sender should be I can calculate what resistor would be required to get the correct reading at 180 degrees. Unfortunately with such a low value resistor (125 ohms) my reading will be way off at both ends of the scale. In fact the gauge will hardly move from 180. It would look good, but its hardly useful. Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and order up your adjustable resistor. I realize pulling the gauge cluster is not hard, I've done it so many times I feel like I should have put it in with Dzus fasteners. Its just one of those jobs I despise.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:33 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7T1vette

You can "test" this theory by rigging a simple 'bypass' wire which connects the sender body to a ground point anywhere on the engine block. If you install that [temporary] wire and the gauge then starts reading correctly, Teflon tape on the threads is your problem.

With a 'helper', you can take the sender out of the head, quickly plug the hole with your thumb (or other finger...or your 'helper's' finger ), put some plumber's pipe dope on the threads and reinstall it in the head. No need to drain any antifreeze.
Thanks but that was about the first thing I checked. And I didn't use Teflon tape. That's a bad idea on anything with moving parts where the little pieces of tape can break of and get caught in things. In fact its not permitted to be used on airplanes and I wouldn't use it on a car either. I use Teflon thread sealer. Its a paste, in a tube. Much safer than tape.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:17 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

As long as it didn't cure before you installed it, you should be fine.

A little piece of wire will validate that....
Old 03-25-2018, 02:31 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

So I finally got around to checking out the temperature of my new engine. Pulled out an old mechanical temperature gauge I have had since the late '70's. Put it in a pot of water and brought it to a boil. A little to my surprise it reads perfectly. Installed it on the car this morning and ran it up and down the street for about 10 minutes. Temperature stabilized at 180 degrees. Clearly my temperature issue is a problem with the sender. I've already ordered the adjustable resistor from Willcox.

The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (06-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Temperature gauge reading low?