C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on the 3 S's

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Darinm
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Serpentine conversion question i dont see answered

I think i've read all the posts regarding a serpentine conversion and just wanted to see if i'm understanding this correctly.

I'm looking into a Serpentine conversion and have the stock steering setup currently.

Most of the kits I see have the GM type 2 power steering pump. Currently my setup is the Saginaw.

My question is this. I think i understand that if i use the Type 2 pump, it will not work with my stock steering components and would require a Steeroids conversion ?

Or if i stick with a serpentine setup that will use the Saginaw pump, then all is good.

Please help me if i misunderstood since it would be nice to keep the Type 2 pump due to the layout it can use.

Thanks

Last edited by Darinm; 03-19-2018 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Clarifying title
Old 03-20-2018, 06:32 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Darinm
I think i've read all the posts regarding a serpentine conversion and just wanted to see if i'm understanding this correctly.

I'm looking into a Serpentine conversion and have the stock steering setup currently.

Most of the kits I see have the GM type 2 power steering pump. Currently my setup is the Saginaw.

My question is this. I think i understand that if i use the Type 2 pump, it will not work with my stock steering components and would require a Steeroids conversion ?

Or if i stick with a serpentine setup that will use the Saginaw pump, then all is good.

Please help me if i misunderstood since it would be nice to keep the Type 2 pump due to the layout it can use.

Thanks
I did this not too long ago, the March set up has a Billet Saginaw Keyway Canister included with it but it reveresses the spin of the water pump so you have to use theirs. I found the costs seem to be about the same in the end. i went with the Steeroids kit.m. The Steeroids setup (it was like $1500.00) made a NIGHT AND DAY difference in my steering system even though I had a rebuilt setup to begin with.

To me that even outweighed the benefit of the serpentine. Just something to ponder....

Last edited by Ragtop_Rob; 03-20-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:31 AM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

I have steeroids and the GM setup used on the early 90s camaro/firebird. However, the Saginaw-style pump is the one used with this kit, and it also does not necessitate the conversion to a rack and pinion.

The steering pump used on those cars is essentially the same Saginaw pump we use with a few adjustments. You can also add the serpentine pulley to your original Saginaw pump.

I found this to a less costly serpentine conversion, although some additional work is required to make the system match up with our cars (water pump, alternator and AC pump have to be newer units, and depending on how you source those, those items can add cost quickly).

In addition, you also have to be willing to change radiator hose routing and possibly some minor wiring for the alternator/Ac (basically pigtails that can be made or purchased). I can post details on what I did if interested.

Last edited by cooper9811; 03-20-2018 at 07:32 AM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
Darinm (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:07 AM
Darinm
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop_Rob
I did this not too long ago, the March set up has a Billet Saginaw Keyway Canister included with it but it reveresses the spin of the water pump so you have to use theirs. I found the costs seem to be about the same in the end. i went with the Steeroids kit.m. The Steeroids setup (it was like $1500.00) made a NIGHT AND DAY difference in my steering system even though I had a rebuilt setup to begin with.

To me that even outweighed the benefit of the serpentine. Just something to ponder....
Hmmm... yes definitely pondering... That might be a great change and it sounds like an easy one in the step by step upgrades. i.e. not one that requires the other to do. And my steering could definitely use some improvement. I'll take a closer look.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on the 3 S's

Quick Reply: Question on the 3 S's