C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Critique My Front Splitter/Cool Air Intake

Old 03-27-2018, 09:26 AM
DIY-79
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Critique My Front Splitter/Cool Air Intake

That’s a 3” drop and it’s 5 1/2” off the ground. I know it’s producing drag but I had a 50° drop in engine temps from this. The car did not have a lower valance or the stick spoiler so take that into consideration. This is the first rendition. Already planning the second.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:21 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

with a 50 degree drop I would suspect something else is going on.
Do you have all the seals in place around the radiator to shroud and shroud to hood?
Is your fan clutch working, no leaks no excessive slippage?
No internal blockage in radiator core?
Lower radiator hose isnt collapsing?
Old 03-27-2018, 10:26 AM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like it would do a lot of damage if it ever hit anything, like a speed bump, or parking space bumper.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:27 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I like it What material is it made of?
Old 03-27-2018, 10:28 AM
DIY-79
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

New 2 row aluminum radiator with 1” tubes. Seals around radiator just put in place with no affect on temp. Car cools at idle but creeps up to 240° after 45 min of driving. New water pump on order. Has not arrived. The engine is not the original as I’ve run the numbers so it could be past 30 over and just a hot running engine. Also, the heads have different casting numbers so the temperature sending unit may not be the appropriate for unit for the gauge. The gauge is 37 years old. Lots of variables to still address.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:34 AM
DIY-79
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by imariver
Looks like it would do a lot of damage if it ever hit anything, like a speed bump, or parking space bumper.
Its 1/4” plywood covered with truck bed liner. It’s higher of the ground than the oil pan and the transmission cross member. However, I’m considering going to 2 1/2” to 2” of drop for that reason. I’m hopeful if it did make contact the 1/4” plywood would rip away. After Googling, 5 1/2” from the ground is higher than some car manufacturers.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:36 AM
DIY-79
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by The Punisher
I like it What material is it made of?
1/4” plywood. Coated with truck bed liner.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:24 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Default Other causes for running hot

Originally Posted by DIY-79
New 2 row aluminum radiator with 1” tubes. Seals around radiator just put in place with no affect on temp. Car cools at idle but creeps up to 240° after 45 min of driving. New water pump on order. Has not arrived. The engine is not the original as I’ve run the numbers so it could be past 30 over and just a hot running engine. Also, the heads have different casting numbers so the temperature sending unit may not be the appropriate for unit for the gauge. The gauge is 37 years old. Lots of variables to still address.
It is hitting 245 with what air temperature?
Have you looked at the distributor advance curve?
Is the engine running lean?
You pressure tested the cooling system along with the radiator cap?
Old 03-27-2018, 01:28 PM
DIY-79
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MelWff
It is hitting 245 with what air temperature?
Have you looked at the distributor advance curve?
Is the engine running lean?
You pressure tested the cooling system along with the radiator cap?
Pulled plugs and it’s not running lean. Have not checked timing yet. Timing light is in storage and I have to get it. I’m in South Texas and it hit 240° on a 88° day. Probably should have tried the stock spoiler with the valance before going to this. Who knows, it may have dropped temps 20°. It’s not losing water and the oil is fine. Bottom radiator hose is new and not sucking shut. It has a restrictor plate in it so it’s not a stuck thermostat. It ran cooler with no restrictor plate so it not the restrictor plate. I made sure Air was not in the system even though I don’t really believe in theory it can get trapped. That’s my way of saying I’m trying everything even when I don’t think it’s the problem. So timing, water pump, and pressure test are what’s left. The electric fan and shroud cool it fine at idle. It sits at a tad over 160° idling in the same weather it heats up in. With no spoiler or valance I figured Air was blowing under the car and not making its way to the radiator. A stock spoiler is $40. I need to buy one to fill the void between the valance and core support so I can pull this off and try the stock spoiler to see if it alone will work. Keep the suggestions coming. I’m listening.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:46 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

A repro pace car spoiler made a significant difference on my temps, probably 20-30 degrees difference over just the standard spoiler. I have all the seals intact, a lower hose with a spring in it, a stock replacement water pump and the stock 4 row copper radiator.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:48 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Get rid of the restrictor plate and install a 180 thermostat
Old 03-27-2018, 06:11 PM
DIY-79
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by diehrd
I’ll try it, but like I stated above, it ran cooler with no plate at all. It didn’t have one per previous owner. It never went above 220° without one. I installed one via multiple forums saying some kind of restrictor must be in place to slow the coolant and keep it in the radiator longer. Correct me if I’m wrong but the thermostat opens because of the hot side, so once temp is past 180° It will remain open indefinitely and be no different than a restrictor plate. The thermostat just allows the engine to reach operating temperature faster.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:22 PM
DIY-79
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
A repro pace car spoiler made a significant difference on my temps, probably 20-30 degrees difference over just the standard spoiler. I have all the seals intact, a lower hose with a spring in it, a stock replacement water pump and the stock 4 row copper radiator.
That’s somewhat consistent with what I’m experiencing. There was no spoiler and no valance. The stock spoiler at least diverts air upwards through the radiator. The idea to try this was based on people like you stating how much the pace car spoiler improved cooling over the stock spoiler. I’m not sure I want to go this look with the car. I like the way the car was initially designed.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:26 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

A constant transfer of heat from the water the radiator is more efficient at dissipating heat then holding it anywhere ..

Thats why it opens over 180 . it wants to constantly push water past the cooling surface to dissipate heat.

What fans do you have on the radiator ? If ya have a weak fan or fans you will also run hot under load and not so much at idle or light loads.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:42 PM
DIY-79
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

A constant transfer of heat from the water the radiator is more efficient at dissipating heat then holding it anywhere ..

Thats why it opens over 180 . it wants to constantly push water past the cooling surface to dissipate heat.

What fans do you have on the radiator ? If ya have a weak fan or fans you will also run hot under load and not so much at idle or light loads.
One fan attached to a shroud. It pulls 2800+ cfm. With this set up it’s not heating up. Drove it for over an hour yesterday and it never went past 190°. It was after dark and it was cool out, so the next 90° day will be the real test.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:44 PM
DIY-79
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Here’s the set up. No a/c condenser either.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:53 PM
DIY-79
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I’m going to try out the thermostat theory. I’m going with the explanation that as the thermostat is closed and the water in the block is heating, the water in the radiator is cooling. After 180° the thermostat opens and they trade places until the thermostat closes again. I’m going with the theory that the radiator cools the water faster than the engine heats it. That has to be the case in order for it to work, otherwise, once the all the water gets over 180° it will never close again and I’m in the same situation I’m in now with the restrictor. It’s a $3 part and a couple minutes to change.

Get notified of new replies

To Critique My Front Splitter/Cool Air Intake

Old 03-27-2018, 08:57 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

In my experience, if your shroud is too close to the radiator, it will restrict air flow. The air will flow well right in front of the fan, which is only about 1/3 of the surface. The air coming through the rest of the radiator has a hard time turning sharp enough to make it to the fan. The shroud is good for low speed to make the fan pull air, but at speed, the air flow should exceed what the fan will pull. If your electric fan is right up against the radiator with no shroud, it will work better than one with the shroud too close. A flat shroud like yours would work better if it had flaps that would open when the air flow exceeded what the fan could flow, like at road speeds. Sounds like your splitter will deliver good air flow.
The following users liked this post:
Aerovette (03-28-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 09:25 PM
DIY-79
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by '75
In my experience, if your shroud is too close to the radiator, it will restrict air flow. The air will flow well right in front of the fan, which is only about 1/3 of the surface. The air coming through the rest of the radiator has a hard time turning sharp enough to make it to the fan. The shroud is good for low speed to make the fan pull air, but at speed, the air flow should exceed what the fan will pull. If your electric fan is right up against the radiator with no shroud, it will work better than one with the shroud too close. A flat shroud like yours would work better if it had flaps that would open when the air flow exceeded what the fan could flow, like at road speeds. Sounds like your splitter will deliver good air flow.
I was considering this. The shroud has 3/4” of space and I’ve wondered if it should be spaced out more. It does have slits/vents in the upper corners. And yes, the splitter (which is hardly fulfilling the purpose of what a splitter is suppose to do) has solved the problem, however, I don’t think there should have been a problem. I think that’s why this thread has gone the direction it has.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:28 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by DIY-79
I installed one via multiple forums saying some kind of restrictor must be in place to slow the coolant and keep it in the radiator longer.
Well, you listed to people who have no clue what they are talking about. That explanation is one of those "car expert" fallacies that refuses to die.

The more coolant flow the better it will cool, period. You already proved this by seeing it runs cooler without a thermostat. The fact it won't run cool enough for you means there is a different problem. Some possibilities are the pump isn't producing enough flow, not enough radiator surface area, a coolant restriction in the engine, a restriction to air flow or bad tuning putting excessive heat into the engine.

Since you found more airflow helps, I'd say airflow is the most likely suspect. I would agree with the previous response that your flat shroud restricts airflow at speed. It's likely the increased pressure from your new splitter is increasing the air pressure enough it's both forcing air through the rest of the rad and increasing the airflow hence the efficiency of the airflow through the fan hole.

On a similar note, if you have that fan on all the time it could be restricting the airflow.

Have you tried pulling the shroud and seeing how it does on the highway?

If anyone tells you they did something to restrict the coolant and their car ran cooler then They DID NOT have a flow problem. Something else was the problem. There is a point where you can have too much flow, but for practical purposes you can't reach it with the GM water pump design.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 03-27-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Critique My Front Splitter/Cool Air Intake