C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L82 4-speed with blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:35 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

If it's a problem with the bottom end then buy a short block and put all the other original parts back on to comply with smog requirements.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:21 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Replace with a crate engine and box up the old engine and store it.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:53 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by carriljc

There is nothing special about a 1979 Corvette Small Block Chevy.
To me the 4 bolt mains, forged crank and pistons are special.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:36 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I agree....unless something really bad destroyed the block...it's a small block and parts are easy to come by. Shortblocks are everywhere or you could do the 350/290 from GM or one of the 383 versions.

JIM
Old 04-01-2018, 02:04 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

When did overhauling a SBC get so difficult and expensive? Tear down, inspect, refurbish, reinstall. Easy to say if you have another car to drive while you do it I suppose. Nobody wants to just fix it?
Old 04-01-2018, 02:06 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by stingr69
When did overhauling a SBC get so difficult and expensive? Tear down, inspect, refurbish, reinstall. Easy to say if you have another car to drive while you do it I suppose. Nobody wants to just fix it?
Seems its often more expensive to take your worn out motor to a machine shop and rebuild it than it is to buy a crate engine.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:38 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by stingr69
It’s not that they are hard..but you are at the mercy of your machine shop, hoping they do quality work...and not taking you to the cleaners..

As Len Woodruff mentioned above, he spent $5500 to rebuild his original engine and the whole ordeal has been a complete disaster for him.

PhysicsTeacher, for your son’s intended use, I would go straight to GM and buy a crate motor, brand new, with a warranty, put it in and forget it. A ZZ4 (350/355hp)would be a nice mild upgrade and very reliable....I’ve owned one and they are great engines for something mild and getting a lot of use. Bag up the original engine and keep it with the car, maybe look into rebuilding it down the road for value sake.

Good luck.

Last edited by ajrothm; 04-02-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:27 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
It’s not that they are hard..but you are at the mercy of your machine shop, hoping they do quality work...and not taking you to the cleaners..

As Len Woodruff mentioned above, he spent $5500 to rebuild his original engine and the whole ordeal has been a complete disaster for him.

PhysicsTeacher, for your son’s intended use, I would go straight to GM and buy a crate motor, brand new, with a warranty, put it in and forget it. A ZZ4 (350/355hp)would be a nice mild upgrade and very reliable....I’ve owned one and they are great engines for something mild and getting a lot of use. Bag up the original engine and keep it with the car, maybe look into rebuilding it down the road for value sake.

Good luck.
I agree !!!!

Unless you somewhat know what you are doing and also know a quality builder/machine shop, I would not rebuild the OEM L-82 now. I rebuilt/upgraded my 65K OEM L-82 in 2014 myself with a builder's additional help for the machine work and assembly of the bottom end. I pulled the motor, partial disassembly, bought the AFR heads, Howards roller cam kit and pushrods, reassembled the top end, reinstalled the motor etc using many of the OEM L-82 parts. The builder did the machine work, JE Forged racing pistons, reconditioned the L-82 forged crank, reconditioned the L-82 rods, bored and painted the block .030, assembled the bottom end, bought the clutch and balanced with the resurfaced OEM flywheel etc. All in using many of the OEM or existing parts on the L-82, it cost me $5k BUT I also have a 450 Gross HP engine now which is very different from a ZZ4.

A crate ZZ4 has 355 Gross HP which as installed in your L-82 C3 will probably make around 275 NET HP which is a nice 50 Net hp gain over the OEM L-82.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 04-02-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:53 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

I was figuring on Original Poster looking at overhaul (and maybe EFI) so I would count on a .030 overbore, overhaul kit with hyper pistons, valve job, pushrods and stamped rockers.

Upgrades are limitless.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:57 AM
PhysicsTeacher
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally have a diagnosis. It threw two rods. Anyone have a lead on a good shop in the San Diego area to install a new short block for a fair price? The selling dealer is offering to install a used short block for $3500. It's from a complete Corvette engine that blew a head gasket. I'm not keen on a used block, and the price seems awfully high considering that they are already in possession of the used engine block, but I'm not really knowledgeable on the price of a short block install in San Diego.

Last edited by PhysicsTeacher; 04-10-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:34 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Do you have a garage or carport or access to one where you can pull the pull the motor and of course put the replacement back in? It's just not that hard especially with the know how in here to guide you through the process. Save the labour cost and buy tools which are pretty basic to get the job done. Just something to consider.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:48 PM
PhysicsTeacher
Cruising

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Do you have a garage or carport or access to one where you can pull the pull the motor and of course put the replacement back in? It's just not that hard especially with the know how in here to guide you through the process. Save the labour cost and buy tools which are pretty basic to get the job done. Just something to consider.
My son lives in an apartment with no garage available. He works about 60 hours/week, and has no experience working on cars. He's going to need to hire it out.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:58 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Ok. Anyway, $3500 for a used sb and install is highway robbery, imo. Source a new sb from Summit or similar retailer and have a reputable shop do the deed.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:03 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

be aware that the heads are going to need
work.
that means
disassembly
clean
check for cracks
valve guide measurement
valve measurement
spring checking
seals
seat grind
assembly
add cost for each guide replace
valve replace
spring replace

i have no idea who is in san diego
you will probably have to deal with 2 shops
one that can remove and replace the whole engine
one that can do engine machine work and assembly.

2 thrown rods?
did block get cracked?
Old 04-11-2018, 02:51 AM
PhysicsTeacher
Cruising

Default CARB approved long blocks from GM Goodwrench?

The whole CARB deal is new to this Floridian. I'm aware that it has to pass inspection, and that you can only make approved modifications.

We're leaning toward putting in a new GM Goodwrench long block. Will this conform with CARB regulations?

When choosing a long block, I assume that it must be a "Gen I" small block in order to mate with the existing intake and exhaust systems and the transmission. Here are a couple of GM Goodwrench offerings:

p/n 12681429, described as
GM Goodwrench 350ci Crate Engine 195 HP (Can produce up to 260 HP)
This engine is available from many sources for as little as $1800. On the Summit Racing website, they specifically state,
When installed in the following vehicles, these engines carry a 36-month or 100,000-mile warranty: 1973-80 Chevy Corvette.
p/n 19355658, described as
GM 350ci/290 SBC V8 Base Crate Engine 300 HP @ 5100 RPM
This engine is also widely available for around $2400. I'm guessing that the primary differences are greater compression and a hotter cam, and I can find no application list of vehicles for which it is suited.

Again, I have zero experience dealing with California regulations, so please be gentle. Let me know if I'm on the right track, or if we need to go a different direction.

I am very grateful for all of the assistance!

Bob
Old 04-11-2018, 11:49 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PhysicsTeacher
The whole CARB deal is new to this Floridian. I'm aware that it has to pass inspection, and that you can only make approved modifications.

We're leaning toward putting in a new GM Goodwrench long block. Will this conform with CARB regulations?

When choosing a long block, I assume that it must be a "Gen I" small block in order to mate with the existing intake and exhaust systems and the transmission. Here are a couple of GM Goodwrench offerings:

p/n 12681429, described as This engine is available from many sources for as little as $1800. On the Summit Racing website, they specifically state,

p/n 19355658, described as This engine is also widely available for around $2400. I'm guessing that the primary differences are greater compression and a hotter cam, and I can find no application list of vehicles for which it is suited.

Again, I have zero experience dealing with California regulations, so please be gentle. Let me know if I'm on the right track, or if we need to go a different direction.

I am very grateful for all of the assistance!

Bob
Your son needs to talk to the shop that will be doing the work. They may want to purchase the engine from one of their suppliers so they can mark up the price. The good thing about this is they should then honor any warranty. If your son buys the engine and the shop just installs it, they will then have no responsibility to honor any warranty.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:52 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

look at GM crate/goodwrench engines,,,$1500-2500,with a warrenty

and maybe call a few ''gm/chevy'' dealers,or buick/caddy/gmc dealers too

Last edited by dmaxx3500; 04-11-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To L82 4-speed with blown engine

Old 04-11-2018, 12:25 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,691 Likes on 2,934 Posts

You are on the right track going with the long block or to make the swap even simpler, purchase one of the GM turn key create motors making the engine swap as simple as remove and replace, which could save you money and headaches in the long run.
Your son would have a new carb, ignition, and all the other bolt on goodies.
I would go through Summit Racing, stick with the GM engine line and Summit will probably have it to your son within a couple of days.
If Summit doesn't show the exact engine you want listed on their website, simply search with the correct part number and it should pop up or call their customer services line.
If the local Corvette shop has a good reputation, and if they can, let them do the swap.
I know there are a couple of forum members in San Diego and you might want to post a separate thread asking about the shops reputation and see what type of response you get.
It should not take them more than a couple days to do the swap and your son could be in and out with a CARB legal car he can run trouble free with a good GM backed warranty.
Good luck, send us photos and let us know how things works out.
As with others, this is just my opinion and the direction I would go considering your circumstances.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 04-11-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:52 PM
PhysicsTeacher
Cruising

Let me update this thread. We bought a GM 350/290 crate motor from JEGS. It was drop shipped to Woods Automotive, who performed the installation. Mario of Woods also installed a complete MSD Atomic EFI setup, including MSD ignition, so both timing and fuel mixture are now computer controlled. I highly recommend Mario.

Many thanks to those of you who participated in this thread!

Last edited by PhysicsTeacher; 07-09-2018 at 11:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
resdoggie (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 10:49 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,691 Likes on 2,934 Posts

Originally Posted by PhysicsTeacher
Let me update this thread. We bought a GM 350/290 crate motor from JEGS. It was drop shipped to Woods Automotive, who performed the installation. Mario of Woods also installed a complete MSD Atomic EFI setup, including MSD ignition, so both timing and fuel mixture are now computer controlled. I highly recommend Mario.

Many thanks to those of you who participated in this thread!
Thanks for the update.
Photos are always nice.

Quick Reply: L82 4-speed with blown engine