C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L82 4-speed with blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 11:06 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Yep. Pictures would be nice.

Did you get the CARB approved MSD EFI? and all the stickers are in the engine compartment? Check to make sure you have it easy for smog check time.

And some pictures would be nice ture
Old 07-11-2018, 01:57 PM
PhysicsTeacher
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Photos are always nice.
I've asked my son to take some photos, so I will post those as soon as I receive them.

Did you get the CARB approved MSD EFI?
Yes, this is the CARB-approved MSD EFI setup.

and all the stickers are in the engine compartment? Check to make sure you have it easy for smog check time.
We'll find out when I get the photos. We'll make sure that they are in place.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:16 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,694 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Sounds like you did your research and have a nice running car for your son to enjoy.
Nice project.
Looking forward to seeing the photos.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:25 AM
PhysicsTeacher
Cruising

Default MSD installation photos

Old 07-23-2018, 11:34 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,694 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Check your manufactures instructions on the MSD coil or call their customer service tech's.
I could be wrong, but the MSD coil you are using is liquid filled and needs to be mounted in an upright position.
Looks like a nice job.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 07-23-2018 at 11:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PhysicsTeacher (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 01:41 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

I am using the same ignition system on a 1968 C3 with it's 427. The instructions I got from MSD was to mount the coil vertically as well, their mounting bracket holds it a few degrees off perpendicular to the engine to clear the carburetor. I have mine bolted to the intake manifold which is where the original coil was installed on the 1968.

This thread has been very interesting, on my 1968 Corvette I bought a used 350 for $500 to install while rebuilding the 427. I spent probably 9-10 months building the engine and nothing was done in a hurry. My entire rebuilding cost of a 1968 427 was less than $5k and installed by a professional shop was another 2k.

I learned that not being in any kind of a hurry you can save a bunch of money. I made a few trips hauling parts around shops but in the end it was worth it. There used to be a Speed Shop near by where the owner (who built Porsche engines in the late 1960's for the CAN AM races) and I made a plan. He and I would together assemble the parts and build my engine, this way I had somebody watching over my shoulder why I helped rebuild the first 427 I ever had worked on. The catch was I had to buy the parts I needed for the engine from him. That man went to great lengths building with me an awesome 500+ hp 427 running 12.25-1 compression ratio. He was meticulous in his approach to prepping the block. In the end, I learned a lot and my buddy sold a lot of engines to be built like he did with me. It was truly a win-win solution for both of us and I learned a whole new bag of tricks from him.

"PhysicsTeacher" one thing you might consider is getting an engine stand and dissecting or even rebuilding the original L82 with your son (IF the block is okay). Even tearing down the old engine together would be a great experience as you and your son will see with your own eyes what happened inside the engine. It might help your son understand why it happened or what caused it. Being a teacher you should be able to make a great lesson out of this experience.

I was blessed with a Daughter who is studying Aerospace Engineering and happens to be a "virtual sponge" when it comes to cars. She and I work together on our Corvettes, we have the 1968 L71 4 speed convertible and a 1988 automatic, L98. She wants to drive the 1988 Corvette so she has been earning the right by helping Dad work on it. She has installed many parts under my supervision and is becoming fairly car savvy.

It looks like your Son is set now with that long block from Jegs! I hope that your Son gets many "Miles of Smiles" out of that beautiful Corvette! Now you need to get the Factory Service Manuals for that particular year, don't settle for a Chiltons or Haynes books, they are nowhere near as complete as the GM manuals. If available for that year I have found the Assembly manual is a nice thing to have as well.

Best regards!
Old 07-23-2018, 01:57 PM
Backstop
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That might be a tough project, as he lives in Florida and his son lives in San Diego.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:30 PM
PhysicsTeacher
Cruising

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Check your manufactures instructions on the MSD coil or call their customer service tech's.
I could be wrong, but the MSD coil you are using is liquid filled and needs to be mounted in an upright position.
Looks like a nice job.
Good catch! You are correct. MSD makes a potted coil (p/n 8222) that can be mounted in any position, but this one needs to be vertical. We'll get that rectified. This forum is such a great resource!
Old 07-23-2018, 02:34 PM
PhysicsTeacher
Cruising

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
It looks like your Son is set now with that long block from Jegs! I hope that your Son gets many "Miles of Smiles" out of that beautiful Corvette! Now you need to get the Factory Service Manuals for that particular year, don't settle for a Chiltons or Haynes books, they are nowhere near as complete as the GM manuals. If available for that year I have found the Assembly manual is a nice thing to have as well.
Trust me, purchasing the manuals was one of the first steps. He's got the shop manual and assembly manual, along with a small library of other related publications. I don't know if he's looked at them, but he's got them!

Quick Reply: L82 4-speed with blown engine