C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cork gaskets don't fit finned alu. v. covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 06:29 AM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Cork gaskets don't fit finned alu. v. covers

Hi everyone

I bought a pair of fel-pro 'blue stripe' VS12869 gaskets yesterday, but it seems that they don’t fit so good. One side fits good but the other side doesn’t.
A second problem is the ‘double holes’ on one side of the gaskets. One hole lines up good with the cover. But then there is a second hole that is of no use to me, and makes it impossible to fit the gaskets flat against the cover.

What is the best way to trim the cork gasket so I don’t ruin them.

See pictures below:

Last edited by Novusuhu; 07-21-2018 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:04 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,632 Posts

You must be too young to know what the extra hole is for. I find it ironic that gasket companies still make that extra hole gasket for an engine that hasn't been around in decades; the 265. Anyway, those are great gaskets and seal really well. I too had a set that seemed a little oversized but perhaps the valvecover itself is the issue.
If you want to trim one of them, an exacto knife or razor blade will work.
I have had 99% success using Permatex Gray on the valvecover side only. That way I can easily remove the cover for checking valvelash, etc. If applied liberally to the cover, then center the gasket, then flip it right side up, put some weight on it overnite. If you put bolts thru the holes as it dries they will line up perfectly later.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 07-21-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:54 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
You must be too young to know what the extra hole is for. I find it ironic that gasket companies still make that extra hole gasket for an engine that hasn't been around in decades; the 265. Anyway, those are great gaskets and seal really well. I too had a set that seemed a little oversized but perhaps the valvecover itself is the issue.
If you want to trim one of them, an exacto knife or razor blade will work.
I have had 99% success using Permatex Gray on the valvecover side only. That way I can easily remove the cover for checking valvelash, etc. If applied liberally to the cover, then center the gasket, then flip it right side up, put some weight on it overnite. If you put bolts thru the holes as it dries they will line up perfectly later.
Ok, thank you!
Does it matter on which side the blue silicone/rubber lines go? Towards the valve cover, or the heads?
Old 07-22-2018, 04:11 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Got me there. Never gave it any thought. I would believe the blue stripe means something ONLY to the manufacturer and marketing lingo.
I believe its meaningless for actual sealing because oil is on both sides of the gasket. Its not like some gaskets that are "labeled" or clearly marked:, one side air-one is for side gasoline or this side up, or this side towards block, etc.

You have chose wisely on your valvecovers. They have four things going for them that cheap ones do not.
Stronger "Cast" aluminum instead of stamped.
Rails to hold the gasket in place.
Rockerarm "drippers"
And a closed off baffled / oil fill port.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 07-22-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Got me there. Never gave it any thought. I would believe the blue stripe means something ONLY to the manufacturer and marketing lingo.
I believe its meaningless for actual sealing because oil is on both sides of the gasket. Its not like some gaskets that are "labeled" or clearly marked:, one side air-one is for side gasoline or this side up, or this side towards block, etc.

You have chose wisely on your valvecovers. They have four things going for them that cheap ones do not.
Stronger "Cast" aluminum instead of stamped.
Rails to hold the gasket in place.
Rockerarm "drippers"
And a closed off baffled / oil fill port.
OK, thanks for the info.
I think my valve covers are good. It are the aluminum finned ones with the crossed flags logo. I think it was originaly from an LT1.
Is this thea sealant used between the valve cover and the gasket?
https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...asket-maker-2/

I've heared 'the right stuff' by Permatex is also good...? Or are all these products just the same?

Old 07-23-2018, 02:36 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

No, there're not all the same. Each color has a specific purpose. They even make one for waterpump / thermo housing. Its glycol proof.

But YES! on the link to the gray stuff, exactly. I have had really good luck with that on valvecovers, but use The Right Stuff elsewhere. And yes that's basically the famous Permatex Black. But in aerosol instead of a squeeze tube.

If you think you will never need to check the valvetrain or valvelash, by all means coat both sides of the gasket. Otherwise just "glue" the cover side.
Re-snug your bolts after a couple days then again later. You should be leak-free..

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 07-23-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cork gaskets don't fit finned alu. v. covers

Quick Reply: Cork gaskets don't fit finned alu. v. covers