C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980-82 Rear Ride Height question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 08:19 AM
mysticpete
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1980-82 Rear Ride Height question

Hi All

I'm trying to find out what the ride height should be in relation to the half shafts and sway bar, my shafts sit at about a 20-30 degree angle down as does the sway bar, this does not seem right to me, if its not can someone tell me how to correct it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mysticpete; 04-01-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:28 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi mp,
Typically the half-shafts should be close to parallel with the ground.
And, the spring should be just about flat.

When you measure from the ground surface to the center of the wheel are the dimension should be about 28". The tires you're using Weill affect this dimension.

Does your car have a replacement spring on it?
They can sometimes cause ride height questions.

Regards,
Alan
Old 04-01-2018, 09:52 AM
mysticpete
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi mp,
Typically the half-shafts should be close to parallel with the ground.
And, the spring should be just about flat.

When you measure from the ground surface to the center of the wheel are the dimension should be about 28". The tires you're using Weill affect this dimension.

Does your car have a replacement spring on it?
They can sometimes cause ride height questions.

Regards,
Alan
Hi Allen, half shafts are nowhere near parallel! I also have a composite spring on it from purchase, funny thing is the ride height was fine when I first had it, and ever since I completely rebuilt it the rear sits high, apparently there is a certain way in which the rear end needs to be assembled to stop this from happening, but I'm not able to find the procedure?
Attached Images     

Last edited by mysticpete; 04-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: added photos
Old 04-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi mp,
I'm sorry but I'm not nearly familiar enough with 80-82 rear resuspension to offer even any basic suggestions.
I'm certain someone will be able to give you some guidance.

Have you checked the dimension from the ground to the rear wheel arch?
That will give you some idea of what's going on.
Regards,
Alan

I notice the aftermarket sway bar....and do you know the specs of the spring you're using?

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-01-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:53 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

What did you change when you "rebuilt" it?
Have you driven it since then?
Some photos of the spring ends and end bolts might help us.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:07 AM
mysticpete
Instructor

Originally Posted by revitup
What did you change when you "rebuilt" it?
Have you driven it since then?
Some photos of the spring ends and end bolts might help us.
I drive it every day actually for the last 2 years, rebuild was full body off 2 years prior with no changes except new parts and the sway bar added. I'm just reading up on Drive Shaft Harmonics to get some better understanding. I have read that there should not be more than an inch in height between the lower half shaft and the upper diff end of the shaft. Will get some more photos tomorrow.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi,
It appears that from the info on the 80 AIM Rear Suspension Alignment Sheet that the intent was for the half-shaft to be parallel with the ground.
Again, if I were you I'd be looking at the aftermarket sway bar and the spring.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-01-2018 at 12:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mysticpete (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 01:59 AM
mysticpete
Instructor

Here are some more photos but from your AIM description there def seems something amiss, I, will have to look at this closer. The spring bolts are the stock length, I have a set of 8" but don't want to use them unless absolutely necessary, really want to solve this first.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:28 AM
Blue Juice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Not knowing what the driveshaft angle was before doesn't help.
One thing I did notice was where the spring mounts to diff cover.
If this has been re-assembled in the wrong order then it will lift the car.

The plates above and below the spring are arranged just now in a way that will lift the car (the larger unpainted plate and the black plate both above, with the thinner unpainted plate below).

That being said, it looks like the manufacturers assembly tape is still there, so maybe that the way it was.

Changing the plate order and using longer drop bolts and the spring ends will get you where you need to be.
But only addresses the symptoms.

Can you check the composite spring manufacturer and part number, to confirm it is the right application for your car?
Send the manufacturer an email with these photos and see what they say.
Or contact a manufacturer of your choice and cough up for a new spring.

The only other thing I can think of is that during your re-build, all those new bushings will have returned things to their normal height after having sagged over the years.
mysticpete (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:38 AM
mysticpete
Instructor

Hey Blue, the spring packing is as removed (all taped up from manufacture) but I see your point here, I did think about the spring, it does have a part number, will check it out. I checked the sway bar again today, the bolts are actually both bent now because of the non regular height so there is def. something wrong, I will need to replace them once I can get it all figured out.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:32 AM
Blue Juice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

The sway bar isn't going to alter the ride height.
Not unless it's binding up on something and not rotating fully through it's mounting bushes.
The bent drop bolts on the sway bar ends are due to the unusual ride height.

If in doubt take 10 minutes and pull the sway bar off. I don't think it will make an ounce of difference to the height problem.

Good luck...

Last edited by Blue Juice; 04-03-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:34 AM
mysticpete
Instructor

Agreed Blue, it was actually fitted after the assembly and the car was already at its current ride height.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:50 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

The longer bolts will lower your ride height. Cant say how you ended up higher after assembly but there were quite a few fiberglass rear springs made that end up riding too high after install. The longer bolts was the fix.
mysticpete (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 02:21 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

As suggested get a tape measure and measure from a flat surfaced ground the distance to the middle of the rear and front wheel arch. Members are trying to help you here but you have to do a little work.

Also what are the wheel and tire sizes front and rear.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:48 PM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mysticpete
Hi All

I'm trying to find out what the ride height should be in relation to the half shafts and sway bar, my shafts sit at about a 20-30 degree angle down as does the sway bar, this does not seem right to me, if its not can someone tell me how to correct it?

Thanks in advance.
I'll give you an oddball starting point - at the top of your rear fender arch hold your hand vertical with with your thumb up and slide it under the top of the fender arch until it hits the the top of the tire. I first did this on my 80 sometime in the late '80's after I heard a bang and felt the rear end shimmy at about 60 mph, looked in my rear view mirror and saw some parts bouncing down the interstate. At home a few miles later I thought one side looked low so I did what I described above and found my hand was a pretty well ride height calibrated gage. I could almost get all 4 fingers between the top of the tire and and the top of the fender arch on one side but only two on the other. Shop found a bolt missing which I assume was holding one end of the leaf spring.

Four fingers on my hand measures right at 3 inches. So I'd say if running a wheel and tire combo with a 27 inch diameter, as would be for the stock 255/60R15, ground to fender lip ought to be about 30 inches - maybe a half inch less since I think my pinky was usually the tread.. I'd go out and check mine but it's on blocks with all rear suspension removed. Obviously not precise, reasonably close I would think. As some say - "advice worth price charged"
mysticpete (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 06:07 PM
mysticpete
Instructor

Originally Posted by MotorHead
As suggested get a tape measure and measure from a flat surfaced ground the distance to the middle of the rear and front wheel arch. Members are trying to help you here but you have to do a little work.

Also what are the wheel and tire sizes front and rear.
225/60/R15 front
235/60/R15 Rear
Old 04-10-2018, 12:17 PM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

225/60/R15 front
235/60/R15 Rear
Don't know where you ended on this, but for what it's worth - I received my rebuilt rear end from Bair's yesterday. In the box it had a specific instruction that the maximum installed height (extended length) of the shocks should not exceed 14.25". Longer than this will create too much angle between the half shaft and the rear end side shaft you potentially causing it to bind. That at least gives you a way of determining maximum height. On the low side, if you hear your tire's scuffing the fenders, then I'd say raise it up or get stiffer shocks.

Get notified of new replies

To 1980-82 Rear Ride Height question

Old 04-10-2018, 12:38 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

What brand rear spring? You'll find that most all of the composite rear springs that aren't VB&P raise the ride height and this is a very common complaint.

Do a search for "TRW fiberglass spring ride height" or "TRW rear spring too high" and you'll stay busy for quite some time.

Call VB&P & order the 10" bolts or sell your spring and by a new VB&P. -If you're going to buy new ask for a spring that's 1" shorter on both ends to make more clearance for wider rear tires. Even if you keep the 15" wheels, I think with just relocating the parking brake to the top of the frame and the shorter spring you can accommodate 275 width tires.

Adam
Old 04-10-2018, 12:42 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Looking @ the taper in the spring, it sure LOOKS like the tapered TRW spring...

Adam
Old 04-11-2018, 01:14 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stingr69
The longer bolts will lower your ride height. Cant say how you ended up higher after assembly but there were quite a few fiberglass rear springs made that end up riding too high after install. The longer bolts was the fix.
This was what i did after rebuild. sounds crazy but longer bolts at the end of the leaf spring will lower the car... I have fiber spring.

Quick Reply: 1980-82 Rear Ride Height question