C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 L48 starts but stalls when I remove my foot from pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:59 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Originally Posted by r16678
Going to check the vacuum lines. I am not sure if I am reading the timing tab correctly, please see attached image. Which marker represents 12 degrees before top dead center. I do not know how to read the increments and there are no numbers on the tab.

deepest v is 0.
at this point doesn't matter, timing may be way off from 12 but
that won't usually cause misfires and rough running.
idle, yes. timing off will affect idle.

a vacuum leak. unless extreme won't make it rough running in a no load situation.
good luck, i know how frustrating this can be.
The following users liked this post:
r16678 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 12:05 AM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

thinking , trouble for me , extreme retarded timing
could misfire from air/fuel mix if the mix is off.

i could be running down the rabbit hole
because a bad ign cont module acts like that.
coil, mag pickup
r16678 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 08:36 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by r16678
Need some guidance I have a 1979 L48, I cleaned up my engine put a new timing chain on, new oil pump, new water pump, changed spark plug wires, rebuilt the carb. It will start but stalls as soon as I take my foot off the gas pedal. When it is running it will run a bit rough, any guidance will be greatly appreciated. I did verify on the distributor the rotor is pointing to #1 spark plug at top dead center. Thanks in advance for the guidance.
Absolutely the first thing you must do before you chase any other issues is set the base timing. Your method only gets it close enough to start, now you need to use a timing gun and set it correctly. Disconnect the vacuum advance, have a buddy help you keep it running and see where the timing mark is at around 800 RPM. Adjust to what the emission tag under the hood recommends and then it should run pretty well if all is correct with the rest of the car. Start trouble shooting issues after that is done.
r16678 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 08:48 AM
av81
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

thats close to 12 , timing being off at the distributor is not going to make it skip or run ruff at all rpms , the reason I mentioned run it with the vacuum gauge to see if its steady is to see an indication of a bad cylinder , if a valve is hanging open the needle will bounce a bit. Since you changed the chain and gears is it at all possible there were three dots on the crank gear ? and you used the wrong one? I have seen that gear before were they put three marks on it in case you want to advance or retard the timing, there might be a triangle for 0 on it. Any time I have ever had a bad running engine I always did a compression test I know its a pain but sometimes it can save a lot of unnecessary work if you have a bad cylinder.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:17 AM
r16678
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by av81
thats close to 12 , timing being off at the distributor is not going to make it skip or run ruff at all rpms , the reason I mentioned run it with the vacuum gauge to see if its steady is to see an indication of a bad cylinder , if a valve is hanging open the needle will bounce a bit. Since you changed the chain and gears is it at all possible there were three dots on the crank gear ? and you used the wrong one? I have seen that gear before were they put three marks on it in case you want to advance or retard the timing, there might be a triangle for 0 on it. Any time I have ever had a bad running engine I always did a compression test I know its a pain but sometimes it can save a lot of unnecessary work if you have a bad cylinder.
Thanks I had taken a picture of the timing chain after I installed it, I went back and found the images I took of the timing chain , fortunately I found a good one that I took and it looks to be installed correctly. see image

Last edited by r16678; 04-10-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:31 AM
r16678
Racer

Just out of curiosity I pulled the coil. See image below connection looks corroded. Also did check on primary and secondary connections.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:23 PM
hotrodnick
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm puzzled my 79 has HEI if that is the case the module could be bad. I replaced mine with a Pertronix up grade kit, adjustable advance and curve.

Last edited by hotrodnick; 04-13-2018 at 07:23 PM.
r16678 (04-14-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 08:11 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Nice Klein multimeter. A clamp that does DC current is usually really expensive. I didn't know that even existed.

I'd suggest this timing light:
https://amzn.to/2IRWzpR
INNOVA 5568, if you don't already have one that does advance. This will do up to 90 degrees of advance. So, for example, when you are running at 3000 RPM, you can confirm that your mechanical advance is "all in" at whatever you want it to be (perhaps 36 degrees, depending on your engine setup).

My "fix" for dodgy timing (due to a worn distributor), was to get a new HEI distributor (a take-off from a ZZ4 crate motor) and a set of shims to close the endplay gap. It came with all new parts, including a coil.

Here's a quick video to get you started (please excuse me if you already know this stuff, I'm just learning as I go, too).

Hopefully this is helpful in some way.

Last edited by Bikespace; 04-13-2018 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Added Freiburger with a Mullet!
Old 04-14-2018, 12:26 AM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Nice Klein multimeter. A clamp that does DC current is usually really expensive. I didn't know that even existed.

I'd suggest this timing light:
https://amzn.to/2IRWzpR
INNOVA 5568, if you don't already have one that does advance. This will do up to 90 degrees of advance. So, for example, when you are running at 3000 RPM, you can confirm that your mechanical advance is "all in" at whatever you want it to be (perhaps 36 degrees, depending on your engine setup).

My "fix" for dodgy timing (due to a worn distributor), was to get a new HEI distributor (a take-off from a ZZ4 crate motor) and a set of shims to close the endplay gap. It came with all new parts, including a coil.

Here's a quick video to get you started (please excuse me if you already know this stuff, I'm just learning as I go, too).

Hopefully this is helpful in some way.
Thank you I will check out the video, I bought a new coil and the HEI module I had in there came with a lifetime warranty so I replaced that also. Will see how it turns out.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:44 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

av81 post is correct about the manufactures marks on the crank gear sprocket. But, just because your dots line up, does not mean you chose the correct slot or keyway. One is called straight-up, one is usually 4* retarded and one keyway is 4* advanced.

If your instructions were like mine it was tough to read. My timing chain set came from a top of the line company but the instructions looked like somebody dipped them in a bucket of bleach. I knew I wanted straight-up which was the "O" mark on the sprocket.
Also, that photo of your dots matching I believe is for number 6 cyl, not #1.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 04-15-2018 at 12:34 PM.
r16678 (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 11:13 AM
r16678
Racer

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
av81 post is correct about the manufactures marks on the crank gear sprocket. But, just because your dots line up, does not mean you chose the correct slot or keyway. One is called straight-up, one is usually 4* retarded and one keyway is 4* advanced.

If your instructions were like mine it was tough to read. My timing chain set came from a top of the line company but the instructions looked like somebody dipped them in a bucket of bleach. I knew I wanted straight-up which was the "O" mark on the sprocket.
Also, that photo of your dots matching I believe is for number 6 cyl, not #1.
Thank you, I went back and found the instructions see image below, I installed the stock way (second method in diagram) exactly how I installed it. The keway I used was the same on that you used on your engine. Thanks for reminding me to check it out.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:39 PM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Try this for timing tab/balancer info.
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Timing_tabs_and_damper_TDC_lines_SBC
r16678 (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 02:43 PM
r16678
Racer

OK guys I thought I would post my latest, it has a hard time starting but when starts it can rev up. However will stall out if I take my foot off the gas. Thinking maybe I screwed up the carb rebuild, might take it and have it professionally gone through. see video
https://cl.ly/qtVF
Old 04-15-2018, 03:09 PM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Yes you are at 12 BTDC. The big opening pointing in is 0 and then 4 degrees / outfacing arrows
r16678 (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 04:13 PM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Choke hooked up? Did you set the float(s)? Set the air/idle screws? Have you tried turning the curb idle up to keep it running long enough to try some adjustments?
Carbs are tricky things.
Good luck!
r16678 (04-15-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 09:15 AM
r16678
Racer

Sorry guys been busy with other family stuff now back on the car. OK so I had the carb professionally rebuilt by Rod's Carburetor in Phoenix. They tested it on an engine they have in their shop. I put the carb and this time I capped off the vacuum lines that go from the carb to charcoal canister and the direct vacuum outlet at rear of intake manifold that I believe goes to operate the lights and other stuff. I started the car and it ran a little rough then I loosened the distributor and advanced it to about 30 degrees and the car ran pretty good. So now I am a bit baffled how it idles rough at 12 degrees TDC but good at 30 degrees TDC. I guess at this point I should just be happy it is running decent.

I found a write up of someone running into the same issue, seems he just ended up leaving it alone.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-great.649643/
Old 05-27-2018, 10:50 AM
r16678
Racer

I took my distributor to the carb shop they also do distributors, they put in on the dial cleaned it and checked it out all out. I also brought them the carburetor they rebuilt for me, they have a SBC 350 on engine running stand and they attached my carb which fired right up on their engine. The owner came over and checked it also, he was nice enough to look it over and told me stock set up was a bit lean so he richen the jets free of charge, put it back on the shop's motor and it fired right up again. I put the carb back on my car started it up and it will still only run with high advance, the carb shop owner told me that what he was doing would not address the high timing issue.

So I went to bed last night with a major frustration head ache, then I got to remembering that I installed new valve stem seals when I had the engine out last year. I went by all of the published write ups to set the valve lash. I got up early this morning popped off the valve covers and moved the engine to TDC #1 adjusted rocker bolts back for valves that shop manual state should be set at TDC #1, basically gave the push rods just enough play so I could just twist them. Then turned motor over to TDC #6 and did the same procedure for the valves shop manual recommends in that range. I turned the motor over to 12 degrees before TDC #1, made sure I had the rotor pointed to the #1 distributor tower.

And to my absolute delight, the engine fired right up, my wife heard me yelling with joy in the garage. Thank you all for your help and encouragement. Will need to post this to other discussions I jumped on. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 1979 L48 starts but stalls when I remove my foot from pedal