Help Emergency how much 🐎can a my C3 take - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Emergency how much 🐎can a my C3 take

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #41  
Opie the Animal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Opie the Animal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: San Pedro California
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you all for your help I really appreciate it I'm 38 and barely got my dream car so I want to hook it up right driver forever and get buried with her C3 is the coolest car I've ever seen personally I don't think any other year Corvette cant even compare to this year and any car on Earth the shape is so insane
Opie the Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #42  
C3 Stroker
CF Senior Member
 
C3 Stroker's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Youngstown Ohio
Posts: 2,600
Thanked 60 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie the Animal View Post
I just screenshot it everything you said right here and I'm going to get it done to my car so you said I could run about 500 horsies 🐎🐎🐎🐎🐎🐎
.....I'm still looking for the horsie key on my keyboard......
C3 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C3 Stroker For This Useful Post:
73racevette (04-19-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #43  
ajrothm
CF Senior Member
 
ajrothm's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: League City Tx
Posts: 8,718
Thanked 492 Times in 374 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie the Animal View Post
Thank you all for your help I really appreciate it I'm 38 and barely got my dream car so I want to hook it up right driver forever and get buried with her C3 is the coolest car I've ever seen personally I don't think any other year Corvette cant even compare to this year and any car on Earth the shape is so insane


If you put good halfshafts in it, the stock stuff will hold up for a little while.... I went 10.90s on a bone stock, 140k mile rear end/trailing arms etc etc. I wouldn't recommend it but....it didn't break.

If you are planning to dead hook 700hp and stay together, at a minimum you are gonna need to build a "super 10 bolt", do the 31 spline outer axles, good half shafts and drive shaft.... You're about $6k or so for that rear end/shaft setup. And even that may not last too long if your converter is real loose and hits hard... The posi unit will be the weak link then.

I don't think I'd push a Super 10 bolt faster then 1.4x 60's honestly.


I would go ahead and put the 700hp motor in now, just don't drag race it too much until you can afford to do the rest of the stuff.

The T400 will only need a basic rebuild and a shift kit to hold that power.

My engine made 657hp on an engine dyno, probably around 600hp in the car (smaller headers, no air turbine, and spinning accessories) but my Super 10 bolt has held it for about 100 passes on the track and COUNTLESS runs on the street... and my car is heavy...
ajrothm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:35 AM   #44  
suprspooky
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2016
Location: Blaine MN
Posts: 333
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrothm View Post
If you put good halfshafts in it, the stock stuff will hold up for a little while.... I went 10.90s on a bone stock, 140k mile rear end/trailing arms etc etc. I wouldn't recommend it but....it didn't break.

If you are planning to dead hook 700hp and stay together, at a minimum you are gonna need to build a "super 10 bolt", do the 31 spline outer axles, good half shafts and drive shaft.... You're about $6k or so for that rear end/shaft setup. And even that may not last too long if your converter is real loose and hits hard... The posi unit will be the weak link then.

I don't think I'd push a Super 10 bolt faster then 1.4x 60's honestly.


I would go ahead and put the 700hp motor in now, just don't drag race it too much until you can afford to do the rest of the stuff.

The T400 will only need a basic rebuild and a shift kit to hold that power.

My engine made 657hp on an engine dyno, probably around 600hp in the car (smaller headers, no air turbine, and spinning accessories) but my Super 10 bolt has held it for about 100 passes on the track and COUNTLESS runs on the street... and my car is heavy...

I've got 460 BBC 560hp peak/Avg 480 Tq in a 68 4spd 4.11, stock rear/trans/shafts. What tires to run and 60ft to expect?
suprspooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:44 AM   #45  
ajrothm
CF Senior Member
 
ajrothm's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: League City Tx
Posts: 8,718
Thanked 492 Times in 374 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprspooky View Post
I've got 460 BBC 560hp peak/Avg 480 Tq in a 68 4spd 4.11, stock rear/trans/shafts. What tires to run and 60ft to expect?

MT ET Street radials.... or ET Street bias plies since its a stick car.....The car is probably capable of 1.6-1.7 60's...... but odds are, it will break everything from the fly wheel back first.... Reality is, you'll probably go 1.8 60' on the first trip out... I recommend slipping the clutch and feeding it throttle.... Don't "pop" or "dump" the clutch or you'll need a ride home.
ajrothm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #46  
Chicago Bob
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Location: Durham NC
Posts: 282
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3 Stroker View Post
.....I'm still looking for the horsie key on my keyboard......
I I I I I I don't think they make one.
Chicago Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #47  
lionelhutz
CF Senior Member
 
lionelhutz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: South Western Ontario
Posts: 8,842
Thanked 293 Times in 271 Posts
Default

I still haven't come up with one good reason why the decision to spend $15k on a new engine is an emergency....
lionelhutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #48  
roscobbc
CF Senior Member
 
roscobbc's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: East London/SW Essex UK
Posts: 1,124
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Tax reasons? - that time of year when one perhaps needs to be a little bit 'inventive' with business receipts and invoices - like his van needs a new engine.................
roscobbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #49  
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
caskiguy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Sherman Oaks California
Posts: 943
Thanked 140 Times in 131 Posts
Default

caskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Help Emergency how much 🐎can a my C3 take
  •  
     
    Reply


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 AM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: