C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Tslayer66
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
That looks really nice, well done. I bet it will sound good as well.
Sounds really good! You led me in the right direction. You can hear and feel it rumble at idle but not over the top at all. At WOT it sounds awesome. I am very amazed at the increase in power. I may run it this weekend at the track Tune & Test night to see where its at before i start making more mods. I want to track my progress.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2018, 12:47 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

3000 miles that car is a virgin.before I did the headers I would open the cat .that is the biggest restriction on the exhaust.I would dyno the car and see what a low mile crossfire has at the beginning[Factory says 200] then start doing all the changes you want and document the improvments.A great test car
The following users liked this post:
AGENTCOZ (08-02-2018)
Old 10-23-2023, 02:28 PM
joseer1
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header and exhausts system

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Congrats on your CF purchase and hope you have a blast with it. You have several choices in headers, I have used Hedman ceramic coated for decades now which helps to keep the heat down and they are relatively painless and go in from the bottom except when it come to the header tube for the power steering cylinder. You will have to ding it in a little, but that ding will not affect the flow in any way. There are others that you can use as well like Doug Thorney Tri-Y's which are a good choice as well.

If you remove the CAT, go with a X-pipe which will work out well. I also went with the G-Force cross-member (note: the Gforce part will say its only good up to year 81 corvette, it will bolt directly in your 82 as long as you have true duel exhaust like mine with no issues) which makes going to true duels a lot easier to make the exhaust from header to mufflers. I also used Hooker Max Flows 2.5". They are fairly quiet at idle, but at WOT, they sound great.

Here are a couple pics of my exhaust on my 82. Good luck with your choices.

Where can I get a system like that one for my 1982 corvette
Old 10-23-2023, 02:46 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

You have to have it custom made......and you would need the aftermarket crossmember to make it work too.

Jebby
Old 10-23-2023, 04:56 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

WOW! This is kind of an old thread. BUT, like Jebby said, I had this done by my friends shop local. All SS tube and made sure that the tubes gave me enough room to drop my trans pan without taking the exhaust off. You will also have to replace the crossmember with the G-Force member. Which the ad says, only up to 1980 or1981 corvette. However, if you do a true duel exhaust like mine, it bolts in perfectly and lets you to be able to tuck the pipes neatly up in there. You can not use that crossmember with a stock 82 exhaust. Also, mine is all one piece which makes it easy for me to remove or install the entire exhaust by myself in about 15-20 minutes. Hardest part is removing the six bolts on the collectors. GL

Quick Reply: 82 Headers and Exhaust