C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fi-tech and the right distributor

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 04:55 PM
01TheMan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fi-tech and the right distributor

Alright, I have an 86 GMC sierra classic with a 350 in it. I'm converting over to a fi-tech system and need the right distributor. I know it has to be a magnetic pickup and locked out, but I'm not getting one of those stupid expensive MSD brand distributors. Any part numbers out there that aren't over $150?
Thanks
Old 04-18-2018, 08:53 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

this is your first post and you are not asking a question about a Corvette and you are asking in a forum that deals with Corvettes 82 and older. Interesting approach.

Try www.summitracing.com
Old 04-18-2018, 10:13 PM
01TheMan
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MelWff
this is your first post and you are not asking a question about a Corvette and you are asking in a forum that deals with Corvettes 82 and older. Interesting approach.

Try www.summitracing.com
Haha, yeah, I'm just in a rush and was hoping some of you guys might have an idea of some cheap distributors that'd work with the Fi-Tech units. I've looked through summit's selection and they have the right kind, but its upwards of $200 and I really don't want to pay that much when you can find the replacement distributors for $80. So yeah, any other ideas ;D Thanks
Old 04-18-2018, 11:42 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Unfortunately for you I had an old MSD dizzy, so I used that with my Fitech. Not sure what other options might work.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:18 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Whats wrong with putting a Pertronix kit in the existing distributor and locking it out?
I locked mine on full advance by removing the advance weights and the vac can (you could leave the can in place and just disconnect it). I then put some plastic sandwich wrap over the gap between the weights and the centre shaft of the dist. into this gap I moulded some two pack filler putty and let it set. The idea was that if I ever wanted to restore it I could easily remove the filler. The rotor holds the filler in place. Sounds bubberish but it was cheap and easy, you can't go down to the store and pick up parts like distributors where I live so adapting stuff is the norm.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:47 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Whats wrong with putting a Pertronix kit in the existing distributor and locking it out?
I locked mine on full advance by removing the advance weights and the vac can (you could leave the can in place and just disconnect it). I then put some plastic sandwich wrap over the gap between the weights and the centre shaft of the dist. into this gap I moulded some two pack filler putty and let it set. The idea was that if I ever wanted to restore it I could easily remove the filler. The rotor holds the filler in place. Sounds bubberish but it was cheap and easy, you can't go down to the store and pick up parts like distributors where I live so adapting stuff is the norm.
Any pictures?
Old 04-21-2018, 01:32 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Sorry I have no pic. You can alternatively use springs to hold the weights in the fully open position or even rubber O rings.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:03 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Sorry I have no pic. You can alternatively use springs to hold the weights in the fully open position or even rubber O rings.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:01 AM
tejasak
Advanced

You can run your stock distributor unless you want to run the FiTech timing control. If you want to run the timing control then you need a 2 wire dizzy that you can lockout.

Jegs 555-40060 + you need a coil.

My guess is on your application your running the 400hp FiTech which does not do timing control.

Get notified of new replies

To Fi-tech and the right distributor

Quick Reply: Fi-tech and the right distributor