C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which poly bushings are my best bet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:31 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Which poly bushings are my best bet?

Hey guys, which poly bushings are the best to go for for the C3? My original rubber bushings and body mounts are all rotted out.

Car is a 79 with 18" wheels, Bilstein sport shocks all around, VB&P 550 lb front springs, 360 lb. composite rear spring.

I hear good things about Energy Suspension, but they seem to be the most expensive. Curious whether the cheaper brands are just as good.

Also, standard Red ES bushings? Or the Graphite impregnated black bushings?
Old 04-23-2018, 12:59 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

There have been some recent discussions, on this Forum, stating that there are issues with polyurethane bushings deteriorating. My interpretation of this, is that one, or more, of the "private label" suppliers are getting 2nd rate parts, possibly from "offshore" suppliers.

I rebuilt the suspension of a 1979 Corvette, back in the mid 90s. It was my wife's car, a car she had owned since new. I used the "private label" polyurethane bushings, because I was also buying some other parts from this supplier, and it was easier to create one large order. During the 3-4 years after the installation, the time that we owned the car, everything was still OK.

On the other side of the coin, in a number of other cars that I've owned/worked on, I used Energy Suspension bushings. I was always pleased with their performance. With regard to color, it's just a SWAG (scientific wild assed guess) on my part, but I thought the formulation of the red bushings was a tad more compliant than the black ones. Therefore, I used the red bushings for my street cars.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:00 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
There have been some recent discussions, on this Forum, stating that there are issues with polyurethane bushings deteriorating. My interpretation of this, is that one, or more, of the "private label" suppliers are getting 2nd rate parts, possibly from "offshore" suppliers.

I rebuilt the suspension of a 1979 Corvette, back in the mid 90s. It was my wife's car, a car she had owned since new. I used the "private label" polyurethane bushings, because I was also buying some other parts from this supplier, and it was easier to create one large order. During the 3-4 years after the installation, the time that we owned the car, everything was still OK.

On the other side of the coin, in a number of other cars that I've owned/worked on, I used Energy Suspension bushings. I was always pleased with their performance. With regard to color, it's just a SWAG (scientific wild assed guess) on my part, but I thought the formulation of the red bushings was a tad more compliant than the black ones. Therefore, I used the red bushings for my street cars.
So I've heard a few of those horror stories as well. Never about Energy Suspension, so maybe that answers my question :spend the extra $60 or so and get ES.

Thanks for the input!

I believe "red" is the standard poly, and "black" is the graphite impregnated (supposedly helps reduce squeaks that Poly bushings are known for)
Old 04-23-2018, 04:52 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I have the Energy Suspension poly's. Pleased with them so far.

There are also horror stories out there with cheapo rubber bushings so lets not harp on the poor quality of poly bushings.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:33 PM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie

There are also horror stories out there with cheapo rubber bushings so lets not harp on the poor quality of poly bushings.
I also used Energy Suspension poly's 3.5 years ago on the 75, no issues.
Much improved handling with 550 springs & new shocks
Old 04-23-2018, 09:04 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by mobird
Or the Graphite impregnated black bushings?
Graphite impregnated black if you want to reduce squeaks.

I have "prothane brand" bushings everywhere. Same VB&P Street & Slalom suspension, car is used for track days. (1978)

5 years and all are still in great condition.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...2-bl/overview/

Last edited by cagotzmann; 04-23-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:14 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobrachuck
I also used Energy Suspension poly's 3.5 years ago on the 75, no issues.
Much improved handling with 550 springs & new shocks

For those of you with the ES bushings, did you go with the standard Red, or the graphite impregnated black?

If you went Red, do you have any squeaking? How often do you lube them?
Old 04-24-2018, 08:46 AM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

For those of you with the ES bushings, did you go with the standard Red, or the graphite impregnated black?

I went with ES black bushings all around. I only have about 1K miles since the A-arms and everything else was rebushed, but it's definitely not squeaky. When I installed them they were lubed going in. They will not be re-lubed.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:18 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

The only bushings that are relatively easy to "re-lube", would be the sway bar bushings. All of the others, are pretty much inaccessible, after assembly. I haven't bought at poly bushing kits lately, but in the past, ES included a small packet of their lube.

I refer to this lube as "elephant snot", as it's rather slimy, and sticks to everything. It is, however, an excellent lubricant, and it's VERY sticky, so it won't wash off. However, the little bit that they include, isn't really enough, to slather all the surfaces, bushings, sleeves, and mounting bolt shanks, with a good coating of it. Therefore, I strongly suggest that you purchase an additional container of the lube.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

Energy Suspension poly's since 2001, no issues.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:39 PM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry's70LT1
Energy Suspension poly's since 2001, no issues.
I went with red
Good luck
Old 04-25-2018, 01:05 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Poly

Whatever you do, DO NOT use poly in the trailing arm bushings. I have replaced both sides in my 68 and 66. They turned to glass and fell out. A few of my friends had the same bad luck. I purchased mine from two different vendors. Also, DO NOT replace the rear end mounting bushings with poly either. They are too thin. The poly mount made the drive shaft universal in the back hit the floor of the tunnel when I had a passenger in the car. I used poly motor and transmission mounts in my 70 SS Chevelle and the engine fan hit the shroud. I replaced them with factory rubber and all is well. Do a search of poly here and in the C-2 forum for more info. PM me if you want to buy the motor/transmission/rear mounts. Mine are almost new. Jerry
Old 04-25-2018, 02:04 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Whatever you do, DO NOT use poly in the trailing arm bushings. I have replaced both sides in my 68 and 66. They turned to glass and fell out. A few of my friends had the same bad luck. I purchased mine from two different vendors. Also, DO NOT replace the rear end mounting bushings with poly either. They are too thin. The poly mount made the drive shaft universal in the back hit the floor of the tunnel when I had a passenger in the car. I used poly motor and transmission mounts in my 70 SS Chevelle and the engine fan hit the shroud. I replaced them with factory rubber and all is well. Do a search of poly here and in the C-2 forum for more info. PM me if you want to buy the motor/transmission/rear mounts. Mine are almost new. Jerry
Ok so I've seen reference to this from a couple peopple, is it a specific brand of Poly bushings that just have inferior quality? Or all Poly bushings? I feel like if the Energy Suspension bushings had this obvious of an inherent flaw EVERYONE would talk about it.

So for those of you with ES bushings in your rear end and trailing arms, have you had this problem?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:12 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Weird. I see people yell about whatever you do dont use poly in trailing arms it will do this or that, then some racer will pop in and say he uses them in trailing arms and has auto crossed it 10 plus years with zero issues,

The bottom line is some poly bushing are trash and some are great, and its short sighted tosay all are trash just because....

Btw im going Johnny joint in my trailing arms
Old 04-25-2018, 07:53 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Upper and Lower front control arm bushings-Black Energy suspension bushings-Been on the car 12 years...look brand new and NO squeaks..............
The following users liked this post:
mobird (04-26-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 08:16 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

So, I have been told by the experts on here to not use poly for the rear strut rod bushings.
Either use rubber or heim joints.

Just passing that on.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:33 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

So for those of you with ES bushings in your rear end and trailing arms, have you had this problem?
Nope.
mobird (04-26-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Which poly bushings are my best bet?

Old 04-25-2018, 08:34 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by F4Gary
So, I have been told by the experts on here to not use poly for the rear strut rod bushings.

Just passing that on.
Lol, what experts? Care to name any?
Old 04-25-2018, 08:52 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

have had poly front and rear since
early to mid 90's.
black with graphite impreg.
bought from vpg.
still look new.
mobird (04-26-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:42 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary

Just passing that on.

Lol, what experts? Care to name any?
I know 2 maybe 3 guys on here i consider "experts" they seldom post but i cannot count how many pound there chests and list in about every post they make why they are experts at least in their own minds,

Last edited by The13Bats; 04-25-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Which poly bushings are my best bet?