C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS from a 2001

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 01:31 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Default LS from a 2001

I may be purchasing a LS1 from a 01 corvette. This engine is running and presently in the car. Besides the engine, what other items should I negotiate for. Items that will help with installing it in my 78?

Thanks for you advice, Bill
Old 04-27-2018, 03:05 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkohlmn
I may be purchasing a LS1 from a 01 corvette. This engine is running and presently in the car. Besides the engine, what other items should I negotiate for. Items that will help with installing it in my 78?

Be sure and get the pcm and harness!!!
Old 04-27-2018, 04:44 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Originally Posted by Patro46
Be sure and get the pcm and harness!!!
I was thinking that also, but I suspect I will not be able to get those items. The guy I will purchase it from is doing an engine swap, he putting in a higher HP engine. I would guess he will need those items. Any advise if I cannot get those items?
Old 04-27-2018, 04:50 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

I was thinking that also, but I suspect I will not be able to get those items. The guy I will purchase it from is doing an engine swap, he putting in a higher HP engine. I would guess he will need those items. Any advise if I cannot get those items?
if you don't find wiring, sensors, pcm then you would have a problem.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:02 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Go find a wrecking yard and get a harness/PCM out of a wrecked '01. Shouldn't be that hard to find is my guess.
Zip has PCM's for $200
Old 04-27-2018, 07:33 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

yup
junkyard, gm performance, ebay
i suggest you go to c5 tech and read.
find the right pcm, that can be tuned.
the right year and model car to find the pcm.
the software to tune the pcm.
a whole bunch of things to read about.
do it right.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:15 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 840 Likes on 656 Posts

Just curious, What are you gaining with swapping a LS1 345/350 HP & 360 torque and all the other things one has to do to make all work ? Versus say a new 350 or 383 crate engine.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:38 AM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Originally Posted by caskiguy
Just curious, What are you gaining with swapping a LS1 345/350 HP & 360 torque and all the other things one has to do to make all work ? Versus say a new 350 or 383 crate engine.
Good question Cask,
  1. My wife and I plan to drive the car in all the 48 lower states and as may provinces as possible. We want a reliable driver, not a show car.
  2. More HP, nothing crazy, but would like more.
  3. Want fuel injection.
  4. Cost, from what I've seen a new crate engine is going to cost me more then a used LS1. than add in the other costs to build up the engine. EFI is $1,000 Plus.
  5. Better fuel economy, yes I know I will never recoup cost based on the savings, but we'd like to do better than 15mpg, and that was on a really good day. Was on a road tour in 2015 with a bunch of C6's, Every time we stopped, I went to the gas station, not to pee, but to top off. They did not.
  6. We're building this car to be ours. I could probably buy one already done and save in the long term, but I would always be saying to myself "what did the previous owner do".
I am sure there will be folks that will shoot holes in everyone of my reasons, but to me it seems like the right way to, especially since I clearly am not concerned about originally.

Thanks Bill
Old 04-28-2018, 11:09 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 840 Likes on 656 Posts

Good question Cask,
  1. My wife and I plan to drive the car in all the 48 lower states and as may provinces as possible. We want a reliable driver, not a show car.
  2. More HP, nothing crazy, but would like more.
  3. Want fuel injection.
  4. Cost, from what I've seen a new crate engine is going to cost me more then a used LS1. than add in the other costs to build up the engine. EFI is $1,000 Plus.
  5. Better fuel economy, yes I know I will never recoup cost based on the savings, but we'd like to do better than 15mpg, and that was on a really good day. Was on a road tour in 2015 with a bunch of C6's, Every time we stopped, I went to the gas station, not to pee, but to top off. They did not.
  6. We're building this car to be ours. I could probably buy one already done and save in the long term, but I would always be saying to myself "what did the previous owner do".
I am sure there will be folks that will shoot holes in everyone of my reasons, but to me it seems like the right way to, especially since I clearly am not concerned about originally.

Thanks Bill
I think you and your wife will have a blast, wish mine could sit in a car longer than 30 minutes. Best of luck on your adventures, America has so much beauty and the people aren't to bad either.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:58 PM
71 Vert LS1
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 295 Posts

I put a LS1/4L60E in my 71.

I would try to get all the engine accessories, power steering pump, alternator and AC pump. Mass air sensor. Throttle body. Intake.

If I understand correctly the batwing oil pan will work if you do a Borgesen steering box conversion. Otherwise a Fbody oil pan will work.

PCM? If it's included that's great but I wouldn't pay much extra for it. I wouldn't pay anything the wiring harness unless you plan on reworking it. I like buying the PCM and the wiring harness together. I've used mostly Howell Fuel Injection in the past with very good results.

Not to rain on your project but that LS1 is 17 years old. If it's been rebuilt I would ask for receipts. Keep in mind LS1 blocks can only be honed about .005 due to the thin cylinder liners. I would pull the front cover and check for timing chain slop. While you are in there put in a new oil pump.

Just my .02.

Having said that I wouldn't build anything other than a LS motor.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:28 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Originally Posted by 71 Vert LS1
I put a LS1/4L60E in my 71.

I would try to get all the engine accessories, power steering pump, alternator and AC pump. Mass air sensor. Throttle body. Intake.

If I understand correctly the batwing oil pan will work if you do a Borgesen steering box conversion. Otherwise a Fbody oil pan will work.

PCM? If it's included that's great but I wouldn't pay much extra for it. I wouldn't pay anything the wiring harness unless you plan on reworking it. I like buying the PCM and the wiring harness together. I've used mostly Howell Fuel Injection in the past with very good results.

Not to rain on your project but that LS1 is 17 years old. If it's been rebuilt I would ask for receipts. Keep in mind LS1 blocks can only be honed about .005 due to the thin cylinder liners. I would pull the front cover and check for timing chain slop. While you are in there put in a new oil pump.

Just my .02.

Having said that I wouldn't build anything other than a LS motor.
Thanks, exactly the information I was looking for.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:42 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 on getting everything attached you possibly can. There are aftermarket companies who make harnesses if need be.

Its the little stuff that can really nickel and dime you. You may get a little better mileage but dont expect to get 30mpg its still a V8.

How many miles does this have?
Have you checked into Scoggin Dickey, GMPP for their crates? They are pretty nice, they sell the harnesses etc for older retro fits, another option. Controllers for trans, etc so everything works right.
You pay more up front but its worth it.

Have a 5.3 with 180k thats never had the valve covers off. Stil runs good but its getting tired, just a matter of time.

Keep us posted.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:39 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't forget the TAC and pedal.
The 02 batwing pan will fit. I'm running one in my 68 (no power steering). But it restricts what exhaust manifolds you can use, so might as well get those.

Last edited by Garys 68; 04-28-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:19 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
x2 on getting everything attached you possibly can. There are aftermarket companies who make harnesses if need be.

Its the little stuff that can really nickel and dime you. You may get a little better mileage but dont expect to get 30mpg its still a V8.

How many miles does this have?
Have you checked into Scoggin Dickey, GMPP for their crates? They are pretty nice, they sell the harnesses etc for older retro fits, another option. Controllers for trans, etc so everything works right.
You pay more up front but its worth it.

Have a 5.3 with 180k thats never had the valve covers off. Stil runs good but its getting tired, just a matter of time.

Keep us posted.
Believe it has 60-65k. I'll see the car next weekend.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:21 PM
71 Vert LS1
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 295 Posts

If it's a 2001 it's a 24 tooth reluctor crank wheel. You need one PCM for the engine and 4L60E. Corvettes are different from Camaros. Corvette throttle bodies were drive by wire. Camaros were cable driven throttle body's.

I've used both. As long as you have the correct harness they work well.

In regards to crate engines I purchased the last LS1 crate from Pace 2 years ago. As I understand GM has to build replacement engines for 10 years per the model year.

Oh and by the way my L92/TKO600 swap into a 73 Camaro did 26 MPG on the Hot Rod Power tour.

Get notified of new replies

To LS from a 2001

Quick Reply: LS from a 2001