C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to setup a cheap boost retard with your stock HEI distributor!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 06:08 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Default How to setup a cheap boost retard with your stock HEI distributor!

I wrote this for a member and put it on his thread, but decided some other budget minded (I know!) boost fans here might be able to use this.

I am going to give you an idea on how to setup a cheap ignition boost retard system using your stock HEI distributor.

First you get the get the 5 pin HEI module used in some stock boosted applications. I found one cheap here on ebay below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pin-HEI-I...lazuLC&vxp=mtr

Next you get yourself a adjustable pressure switch like the one below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Fuel-Pr...RaAda1&vxp=mtr

The 5 pin module retards the ignition timing 10 degrees when the pin with the black arrow in the photo below is grounded.

To hook it all up you just plug the 4 wires in the HEI to the 4 other pins on the module like they are on the stock 4 pin module. You then run a wire from the pin with the arrow to one side of the pressure switch. The other side of the switch, run a wire to ground. Hook the switch to a manifold vacuum/pressure source. That's all there is to it.

Of course you still have some adjustments to make. Start the pressure switch out at 1 to 2 psi.

I would limit the the distributor to 20 degrees advance. You can find how to limit the advance with a search here or google. I would put a limiter on the vacuum advance so you can adjust that also. This can be found in a search too.

I would set the timing to 36 degrees total all in at 2800 to 3000 rpm, which would give you 16 degrees at idle. Hook the vacuum advance to ported vacuum source. As terrys6t8roadster has stated, there will be little no no vacuum in the manifold to use, so ported is the only way to go.

You'll have to just play with what manifold pressure (boost) to retard at and the maximum timing it will run best. You'll also have to experiment with the vacuum advance limiter to get the best off idle response and cruise smoothness and gas mileage.

Mike

Last edited by v2racing; 04-26-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:02 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Brilliant solution.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:32 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,004 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by v2racing
I wrote this for a member and put it on his thread, but decided some other budget minded (I know!) boost fans here might be able to use this.

I am going to give you an idea on how to setup a cheap ignition boost retard system using your stock HEI distributor.

First you get the get the 5 pin HEI module used in some stock boosted applications. I found one cheap here on ebay below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pin-HEI-I...lazuLC&vxp=mtr

Next you get yourself a adjustable pressure switch like the one below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Fuel-Pr...RaAda1&vxp=mtr

The 5 pin module retards the ignition timing 10 degrees when the pin with the black arrow in the photo below is grounded.

To hook it all up you just plug the 4 wires in the HEI to the 4 other pins on the module like they are on the stock 4 pin module. You then run a wire from the pin with the arrow to one side of the pressure switch. The other side of the switch, run a wire to ground. Hook the switch to a manifold vacuum/pressure source. That's all there is to it.

Of course you still have some adjustments to make. Start the pressure switch out at 1 to 2 psi.

I would limit the the distributor to 20 degrees advance. You can find how to limit the advance with a search here or google. I would put a limiter on the vacuum advance so you can adjust that also. This can be found in a search too.

I would set the timing to 36 degrees total all in at 2800 to 3000 rpm, which would give you 16 degrees at idle. Hook the vacuum advance to ported vacuum source. As terrys6t8roadster has stated, there will be little no no vacuum in the manifold to use, so ported is the only way to go.

You'll have to just play with what manifold pressure (boost) to retard at and the maximum timing it will run best. You'll also have to experiment with the vacuum advance limiter to get the best off idle response and cruise smoothness and gas mileage.

Mike
This sounds like a great idea, but the links take me to something different than what you described. The links do not seem to be going to the correct item.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:37 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

I don't get what happened to the links. Weird!

Try again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pin-HEI-I....c100039.m2059

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Fuel-Pr....c100039.m2059

Mike
Old 04-27-2018, 09:19 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

Very good idea
Old 04-27-2018, 09:33 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Could this work as a timing retard for engine startup when there is a high initial advance?

Last edited by resdoggie; 04-27-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:51 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Could this work as a timing retard for engine startup when there is a high initial advance?
Sure, you'd just have to put a relay wired from the solenoid resistor bypass terminal to close to ground for the 5th pin on the module during startup.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
resdoggie (04-27-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To How to setup a cheap boost retard with your stock HEI distributor!

Quick Reply: How to setup a cheap boost retard with your stock HEI distributor!