C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 VETTE 454 engine block wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 11:27 AM
RAE72Vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 VETTE 454 engine block wiring

Folks, looking for a little help, please, for a newbie. just started to install replacement engine compartment wiring, have wiring diagram, but lacks some detail.
1) wiring to Solenoid starter. yellow to R and purple to S ? see picture. second part of this question; there is a stud with nut & washer on the starter itself (see picture), does anything go to this?
2) on the replacement engine compartment harness, there is a black wiring coming off the harness along with the grouping of wires dropping down to starter, likely a ground wire? does it go to a bell housing bolt OR?

3) on the wiper motor (see picture) driver side is yellow and passenger side blue?

4) the ground wire coming through the firewall (see picture), my wiring diagram says it connects to some terminal on the passenger side of the wiper motor???
5) finally, the blue wire in the picture, where does this connect too? please its comes off the engine compartment wiring harness, on the passenger side.

I did take pictures as I was taking the old harness off, but there was some much patch work and splices, noting was really worth saving.

After the engine compartment, its off to the dash harness, ....sweet dreams

thanks for your help in advance.
Attached Images       
Old 05-17-2018, 03:38 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

1. the starter support bracket goes to the stud on the starter.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

2. Yes it is s ground wire....find a good spot and bolt it up.

3. It does not matter in order to make it work...to the best of my knowledge...because IF it did..the terminals would NOT be the same. OR...if you are worried about judging..I do not think they worry about that.

4. Cannot help you out there do to you have too many photos...and trying to find the specific one and see what you are talking about. I think I see the photo but cannot see what it.

5. Did you look at the wiring diagram...because the tape you have on it is masking the connector..so I can not help you out here also. Is that wire in your old harness???

DUB
Old 05-17-2018, 09:30 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,135 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Ignore the rest of the weirdness in the picture but here's the brace MelWff is talking about

2, as DUB says is the ground, on mine it went on the same bellhousing bolt as the metal cable holder for the battery cable

4, Again as DUB says, not sure which wire but as far as I recall there's no connection on the passenger side of the wiper motor. There is a spade lug on the lower driver side does double duty as the wiper motor ground and goes over to the blower motor as well (it's a weird double plug that you show in one of your images that one wire plugs to the motor and the other one plugs into that plug)

You can see it here near the bottom of the image

5, I don't recognize that blue wire but it might be for A/C or something I don't have???

M

Last edited by Mooser; 05-17-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:10 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

For what it is worth. I have recently seen on a 1969 all of the grounds meeting in this huge series of connectors.

Alarm system ground and what not are all connected into these connectors...and if I was not mistaken plugged into the right side of the wiper motor at the top.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 72 VETTE 454 engine block wiring

Quick Reply: 72 VETTE 454 engine block wiring