C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for mufflers on ‘77 L48

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Stevelovescars
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recommendations for mufflers on ‘77 L48

I recently bought a 23k-mile 1977 L-48 (4-speed) that is completely original including the entire exhaust system including manifolds, cat, mufflers, etc. Other than a bit of surface corrosion it all operates fine and leak-free. I just think it’s too quiet! It has no real rumble at all.

I am looking for feedback on aftermarket options. My goals:

- be able to return the car to original easily
- louder, better sound, but not too loud. I once had a car with aftermarket exhaust and the booming/resonance at constant speed made it unbearable for freeway driving.
- honestly, horsepower isn’t my biggest concern.
- I am willing to pay for quality, but Staying under $500 would be ideal.

Are there any mufflers you all can recommend that can be put on with the stock pipes and cat that meet my sound level requirements? Cat-back options? Am I better off with a full system from the headers back?

Old 05-21-2018, 01:38 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,611 Posts

separating a muffler from a pipe on an original exhaust system could be challenging or impossible. You may want to look at some aftermarket solutions and if not required in your state to have a cat, switch to a true complete dual exhaust system.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:32 PM
Matth624
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stevelovescars
I recently bought a 23k-mile 1977 L-48 (4-speed) that is completely original including the entire exhaust system including manifolds, cat, mufflers, etc. Other than a bit of surface corrosion it all operates fine and leak-free. I just think it’s too quiet! It has no real rumble at all.

I am looking for feedback on aftermarket options. My goals:

- be able to return the car to original easily
- louder, better sound, but not too loud. I once had a car with aftermarket exhaust and the booming/resonance at constant speed made it unbearable for freeway driving.
- honestly, horsepower isn’t my biggest concern.
- I am willing to pay for quality, but Staying under $500 would be ideal.

Are there any mufflers you all can recommend that can be put on with the stock pipes and cat that meet my sound level requirements? Cat-back options? Am I better off with a full system from the headers back?

I also have a ‘77 L-48. I purchased a true dual, aluminized manifold back system with Magnaflow mufflers from Corvette Central. It fit great and price was reasonable. Fairly quiet with a deep throaty rumble. Has good sound when you step on the loud pedal.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:29 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Steve, it sounds like our Street catback system may check all the boxes for you:

1) It's a simple bolt-on installation that can be done in the driveway without any cutting/welding etc.

2) Our Street systems are designed with daily drivers in mind. They are a step or 2 louder than the stock system while idling and cruising so you aren't dealing with cabin drone and angry neighbors. :P

3) There is an improvement in HP and torque throughout the powerband, but usually not enough to tell on the butt dyno.

4) Our systems are some of the best quality on the market. All kits are made 100% in the USA and come backed by a lifetime warranty against any defects. The pricing is also right around your budget.

You can find this system on our website below. If there are any questions we can answer about it, please let us know!

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=16710

Last edited by Magna_Flow; 05-22-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations for mufflers on ‘77 L48

Quick Reply: Recommendations for mufflers on ‘77 L48