C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monster Transmission & Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 04:37 PM
_CJ
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Transmission & Performance?

I have LS swapped my 68 and supercharged it. Im currently pushing about 715hp and need a new transmission because my last one was only rated for 500 and I broke it.

So I've been using TCI for most of my builds and have been fairly happy only a few minor hitches with them.
My thing now is I wan't to seriously customize this transmission and Monster Transmission & Performance is looking like my best option. Being that many unpaid celebrities use them, the military has used them, and they offer the most options i've seen so far.
They also have many tech videos on YouTube that i've actually watched not realizing its them. So I'm probably going to go with them.

Now yes I've read the Mixed reviews (there were more good than bad thankfully) and as a business owner myself I know how reviews go. I'm actually surprised that they have so many good ones as usually you only get reviews from unhappy people. For the most part a lot that i read were mostly installer error; stacking the pump or not flushing their cooling lines seemed like the two biggest possibilities. Anytime it was actually their fault they owned up to it and took care of it which I respect.

I was wondering if anyone has used them before for this type of setup and how it went for them? Thank you guys!
Old 05-22-2018, 05:40 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

What transmission are you looking at/using now? What are your goals/uses with the car? Are you a Turbo 350, Turbo 400, Muncie, 700R4, T56, etc. If you are looking for LS related stuff I would suggest RPM transmissions. They are the one of the best used in the LS world. My Z06 has parts from them in the M12 it has.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:47 PM
gotgame
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was considering Monster for a bit however I did not like there warranty or return policy. I decided on using bowtie overdrive as it was only about an hour north of me with a good warranty.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:14 PM
71 Vert LS1
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 295 Posts

I used FLT 4L60E trans with a Yank converter on my 427 LS 67 nova project. Still running strong after 6 years.

Never user Monster.

LS1 Tech has a good transmission forum.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:42 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

After reading about issues people have had and things they have done like running a fake review site to deflect from the bad "press" I wouldn't deal with them.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:51 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If you can find someone local, mail order can be so risky, words dont mean much if they dont honor it.

Say you were given a choice, Rossler would be my pick way before the one you mentioned.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:29 PM
97C5
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

If looking for a 4l80, check out Jake's Performance. Rated to 1500hp+ and stand behind their stuff.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:19 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by 97C5
If looking for a 4l80, check out Jake's Performance. Rated to 1500hp+ and stand behind their stuff.
Over 700HP I'd be looking at a 4L80e before bothering with a 4L60e. Way more likely to survive long term and it would handle any future power additions you made better.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:03 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,654 Likes on 2,916 Posts

Look at SST, Silver Sport Transmission, they sell autos and manuals, and have an excellent following on this and most other forums. I've never read a single post or review from an unhappy customer.
I've been concerned with the hp/tq my motor will produce after my build so I'm swapping to either a TKO600 or T56 six speed.
By the time I invest in a good od trans and torque converter, I'm looking at close to the same cost of swapping out my TH400 for the manual.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:09 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

I agree with the reference to the LS1 Tech forum.
Great place when it comes to transmission info and feedback.

DO NOT use Monster.......they still have people chasing them from their last move.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:08 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Another vote for Rossler.....had my trans done by them over 10 years ago. Very reputable and can build anything you need.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:26 PM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

I've run a Monster 700r4 behind a 383 for 3 years with zero trans problems. I did replace a leaking converter but it was from Summit. My Bowtie 700r4 crapped out after 1st year.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:50 PM
Cautrell05
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

My experience with them this week.
700r4
Hard debris in the tall housing.
Back of the trans where the tall housing bolts on
More debris on the pan next to the magnet. I mean where the magnet is supposed to be.

It took two and a half days before they would return a phone call and then proceeded to say that much debris is normal for break in on a performance transmission. Either it failed on the dyno test or they didn't clean it out before assembly. First experience with them will be the last. It got put back in the crate and sent back.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:41 AM
_CJ
7th Gear

Thank you all for your help everyone! I hope you all had a great Memorial day weekend!

I think I will be going with a 4l80e now after reading the replies and doing some research.

I will still be going with Monster, I will also keep you guys posted to let you know if I went with the right company!
Old 05-29-2018, 08:47 AM
_CJ
7th Gear

Originally Posted by gotgame
I was considering Monster for a bit however I did not like there warranty or return policy. I decided on using bowtie overdrive as it was only about an hour north of me with a good warranty.
Not sure what warranties you were reading as bowtie only has a 1 year unlimited mile and Monster has a 3yr unlimited mile?
Also I just read warranties and bowtie you have to take back to the facility and Monster has a network of shops that can repair it for you.

Sounds like you're just trying to plug bowtie...no thank you.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:50 AM
_CJ
7th Gear

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
After reading about issues people have had and things they have done like running a fake review site to deflect from the bad "press" I wouldn't deal with them.
I wasn't able to find the site in google, could you send me the link?

I only found this testimonial page on their site
Old 05-29-2018, 09:57 AM
Cautrell05
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Shop carefully. My parts manager just got off the phone with them about the one we have here. He said that the metal in the transmission is normal and refused to give us a refund, full or partial. With that kind of customer service I would not recomend them to anyone. Good luck either way.
Nick

Get notified of new replies

To Monster Transmission & Performance?

Old 05-29-2018, 10:17 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by _CJ
I wasn't able to find the site in google, could you send me the link?

I only found this testimonial page on their site

Go over to LS1Tech and search for Monster Transmission threads.

It sounds like you've decided and will use them no matter what anyone posts so good luck, you'll need it.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Go over to LS1Tech and search for Monster Transmission threads.

It sounds like you've decided and will use them no matter what anyone posts so good luck, you'll need it.
Most of the folks over on tech like RPM. A few years back FLP was a big deal as well, but I have seen some of their stuff fail as well.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:45 PM
gotgame
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by _CJ
Not sure what warranties you were reading as bowtie only has a 1 year unlimited mile and Monster has a 3yr unlimited mile?
Also I just read warranties and bowtie you have to take back to the facility and Monster has a network of shops that can repair it for you.

Sounds like you're just trying to plug bowtie...no thank you.
Plug bowtie? Seriously? U mean give my opinion of the company a dealt with for no reason then to try to help someone else..

I was not about to spend all the money to send it back to monster in Fl. As i have said in other posts i live near bowtie.. I had a very good experience with them, they inspected the transmission I installed and have been prompt with any phone calls or emails I sent them. When i was discussing buying a transmission from monster it would be days before they replied and when I discussed warranty with them they kept telling me oh dont worry we will take care of you if you need anything. On the link below there is a huge list of things not covered and fees associated with returning. No thank you.

There are hundreds of formal complaints being processed against Monster that you can see on official records, not only forums

Below is a list of the conditions of the monster warranty many of which were not what i expected from a company that stands behind their products
http://www.monstertransmission.com/T..._ep_116-1.html

A " plug" is often by someone associated with a company or someone offering a biased response in order to sway someones opinion/action. What i offered is my opinion based on what I was looking for in a warranty and a company.

Quick Reply: Monster Transmission & Performance?