C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with an interior lighting question on my 71

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 01:39 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Help me with an interior lighting question on my 71

I recently bought a 1971 so my 76 would have some company in the garage.

All the "big" stuff was done to it by the previous owner so I am trying to sort out some of the small stuff left to fix.

When I got it the door ajar light didn't work, nor the under dash courtesy lights, nor did the key warning buzzer.

I replaced the door ajar switches and now that works fine. All the dash lights and clock worked fine from day one and lights dim as they should when adjusting the light switch **** and stay on as they should when clicking it all the way over.

The brackets for the under dash courtesy lights are there but I can't find any sockets for them tucked anywhere.

I replaced the #90 bulb in the rear storage courtesy light but it only comes on when I turn the light switch all the way to the left. It does not come on when the doors are opened. I pulled the kick panels on both sides and the switches appear fine and make contact like they should. It looks like they are still connected to the wiring harness as near as I could tell,

The rear glove box compartment light switch was missing. The storage compartment frame and doors had been replaced and looks like whoever did it unplugged it and tossed it. The leads are still there and I checked them with a test light and there is still power there so it looks like all I'll have to do there is replace the switch.

I'd appreciate any guesses or suggestions how to, or what to, possibly check for the under dash and rear compartment courtesy light. I don't care about the key warning buzzer it can stay gone.

Thanks for any help you can give. Automotive electrical (or any electrical for that matter) is definitely not my area of expertise.
The following users liked this post:
Milan454 (06-01-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Do you have a wiring diagram??

You will need to either take your dash apart to find the ORANGE and WHITE wire that are for your under dash lights for the floor boards.

AS for the rear light. You might need to check the wiring harness connector where your rear wiring is connected by the left kick plate and see if there is pweor on the ORANGE wire.

DUB
Old 05-25-2018, 09:29 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
Do you have a wiring diagram??

You will need to either take your dash apart to find the ORANGE and WHITE wire that are for your under dash lights for the floor boards.

AS for the rear light. You might need to check the wiring harness connector where your rear wiring is connected by the left kick plate and see if there is pweor on the ORANGE wire.

DUB
I found an Orange wire and a white wire that looked as if both had been cut. The orange wire has power to it. In the picture the orange wire looks yellow. both are approximately in the center of the photo.

The LH courtesy switch has a black and white wire running to a harness that appears to be the one that runs to the back of the car. I can't see well enough but the white wire may actually be running up to the light switch. The orange "cut" wire is coming from the that harness for sure and is hot.

The RH (passenger side) courtesy switch only has one white wire attached to it. nothing else. That appears to be correct per the AIM.

Thanks for your help Dub. If this is too difficult to diagnose over the internet I understand. I do have the rear courtesy light I can turn on when needed and can live without the rest. It would just be nice to have everything working!

Thanks again. The forum is lucky you're here.

I have a 1971 AIM with the wiring diagrams

There is also another white wire with a factory connector attached to it but I can't see any other wire it could connect to. It is shown on the bottom left of the photo.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:50 AM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Just finished working on it.

Good news was that the rear storage courtesy light wasn't coming on because the driver side door switch wasn't making ground. The problem was at the switch thankfully. The light still doesn't come on when the passenger door is opened so it must be contacts. I'll check it tomorrow.

the white and orange wires left must be for something else, maybe the under dash lights. Both wires are hot when checked with a trouble light
Old 05-26-2018, 09:29 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by stock76

I found an Orange wire and a white wire that looked as if both had been cut. The orange wire has power to it. In the picture the orange wire looks yellow. both are approximately in the center of the photo.

YES. Those are the wires that would have gone to a light socket for your left footwell interior light.

The LH courtesy switch has a black and white wire running to a harness that appears to be the one that runs to the back of the car. I can't see well enough but the white wire may actually be running up to the light switch. The orange "cut" wire is coming from the that harness for sure and is hot.

The white wire is the white wire that is CUT that you have found...and this white wire also goes to the REAR light.

The RH (passenger side) courtesy switch only has one white wire attached to it. nothing else. That appears to be correct per the AIM.

This is also correct and it is joined to the WHITE wire in your LEFT door jamb switch and is what will provide ground to make the interior light work when the doors are opened.

Thanks for your help Dub. If this is too difficult to diagnose over the internet I understand. I do have the rear courtesy light I can turn on when needed and can live without the rest. It would just be nice to have everything working!

Thanks again. The forum is lucky you're here.

I have a 1971 AIM with the wiring diagrams

There is also another white wire with a factory connector attached to it but I can't see any other wire it could connect to. It is shown on the bottom left of the photo.
You wrote in the next post:

the white and orange wires left must be for something else, maybe the under dash lights. Both wires are hot when checked with a trouble light

They are going to do that due to you having bulbs in the lighting circuit and POWER is flowing through the filaments in the bulb.

The ORANGE and WHITE cut wires IS for your left interior foot well light. SO yes...they are for the under dash lights which is what we are dealing with.

As for the loose WHITE wire with the connector. I need to look at the wiring diagram.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Help me with an interior lighting question on my 71

Quick Reply: Help me with an interior lighting question on my 71