C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dragging a 4 foot long hose :(

Old 05-26-2018, 11:16 PM
C3InPA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragging a 4 foot long hose :(

I gave my 76 C3 a full tune up yesterday and have been driving it around quite a bit this weekend. I took the girlfriend to get ice cream, and a kind fellow told me that I was dragging something. I got underneath the car to find 3-4ft of 1/2" or so diameter heating hose flopping on the ground, originating from (where i think) is the front passenger side of the engine. It also had the indentation of a hose clamp on it. I'm not sure if I knocked it off during the tune-up, or what. Didn't really look like it had any fluid it in it any time recently. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was routed to, but laying under the car on the gravel parking lot, i didn't look for too long. I zip tied it to the frame and drove home carefully, about 5 miles.

I only have 2 thoughts on what it could be, and I haven't had time to fully trace it back to the engine:

1. My coolant return tank had been deleted at some point. Not sure why - maybe it has some sort of aftermarket AC? Could this be a line just dumping any overflow on the ground?
2. Through various searches I have read up on the power steering return house. Power steering did seem to be acting up, but would it really be 3-4 feet long?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by C3InPA; 05-26-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:22 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,033 Likes on 852 Posts

If you have A/C could it be your condenser drain hose?
Old 05-26-2018, 11:39 PM
C3InPA
Intermediate

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
If you have A/C could it be your condenser drain hose?
Any idea where that would be routed? The shear length of it is what threw me off. I'm not losing any coolant, and 3-4 feet seems way too long to go to the heater core lol.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:42 PM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Could you post a picture of where the hose terminates? Does your heater core have a manual shut off valve?
Old 05-26-2018, 11:50 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C3InPA
Any idea where that would be routed? The shear length of it is what threw me off. I'm not losing any coolant, and 3-4 feet seems way too long to go to the heater core lol.
No I’m not sure without crawling under mine to see where it goes. Never have had occasion to even look for it.
If it’s a thin walled hose it’s likely some kind of drain and not especially critical at least as far as engine cooling or operation is concerned.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 05-26-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:49 AM
C3InPA
Intermediate

I’m pretty sure it’s legit thick walled heater hose. It says something like that on the hose itself.

It it looks like it terminated at some sort of air valve near the AC and then there was another hose coming out of that air valve that was cut off. I can’t tell for sure that it was going to that valve but it sure looked like it. I tried pulling it up from the engine bay by the valve but couldn’t. Could mean that it’s not connected there, or could mean it’s just secured somewhere down below. The exaust manifold was as hot as ***** so I was limited in what I could do.

I’ll check again in the morning. The shear length of the hose is what threw me off. If extended towards the rear of the car, it almost goes to say - the passenger door handle.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:29 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Do any heater hoses come off your water pump or intake. My guess is that your heater coil has been bypassed in which case the hose isn’t used anymore.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:21 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

From what you describe it sounds like it runs between the hearer core and the core shut off valve that is vacuum actuated.
it that valve is closed then no water would escape, which is what it sounds like in your case.
the other end should connect to the core under the car near the front edge of the passenger door.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:49 AM
C3InPA
Intermediate

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
From what you describe it sounds like it runs between the hearer core and the core shut off valve that is vacuum actuated.
it that valve is closed then no water would escape, which is what it sounds like in your case.
the other end should connect to the core under the car near the front edge of the passenger door.
Hey, So I got under the card today, and this is actually the hose going from the core to the engine (I'm assuming its the core - it is connected right at the passenger door, behind the front wheel). It's connected at the Core, I just don't know where it goes to. I can't for the life of me figure out where it's supposed to connect to. My car has AC. I noticed that there's a similar hose that has been cut and zip tied to a vacuum actuator near the rear passenger side of the engine.,

I'm thinking maybe the core was bad at some point and the line going to the core was cut off and this is the return? I need to explore further. I checked my coolant level and I'm good, so I'm assuming if that line was active, I would have lost a lot of coolant during the 20 mile trip home last week with the hose disconnected.

Does anyone have a diagram, or can you tell me where the hose goes to in the engine bay?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-02-2018, 08:01 AM
C3InPA
Intermediate

Just looked again. I have a hose routed directly from the water pump to the block near the thermostat. I’m assuming this means the heater core has been rerouted.

Im assuming the normal routing is water pump to core, then core to engine block?
Old 06-02-2018, 08:06 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Does anyone have a diagram, or can you tell me where the hose goes to in the engine bay?...
The AIM helps.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:54 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Just looked again. I have a hose routed directly from the water pump to the block near the thermostat. I’m assuming this means the heater core has been rerouted.

Im assuming the normal routing is water pump to core, then core to engine block?
Someone probably disconnected the heater core because it was leaking. Replacing the core is a bit of a job from what I understand. So unless you want a heater leaving it disconnected may be a good idea.
You could hook it up and see, but if you have a leak you will then have a mess as well.
You are correct in you routing . Water pump then to the core then to a vacuum actuated shutoff and to a connection on the intake manifold.

Get notified of new replies

To Dragging a 4 foot long hose :(

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dragging a 4 foot long hose :(