C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handbrake slide seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 07:08 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Default Handbrake slide seal

Hi, the slide seal was missing from my '70 when I bought it. My question is, when you fit one is it supposed to mount in such a way that there is no gap showing in front of the brake handle when the brake is applied? If this is the case I can't see where the seal is supposed to "disappear" to when the handbrake is off and in the horizontal position.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:53 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Yes, no gap when it's applied
The excess "filler strip" goes up under the shifter console when the brake is off.
If there is a gap, you'll need to adjust the cable underneath until is goes away, and it should just go away but leave enough to still guide it under the shifter console.

Any chance you're missing the filler piece at the end of the console gap?
M

Last edited by Mooser; 05-27-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:54 PM
Mooser
Race Director

It actually gets slipped to the back of the shifter console but I was using it to set the gap in these pics
M

Last edited by Mooser; 05-27-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:47 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mooser
Yes, no gap when it's applied
The excess "filler strip" goes up under the shifter console when the brake is off.
If there is a gap, you'll need to adjust the cable underneath until is goes away, and it should just go away but leave enough to still guide it under the shifter console.

Any chance you're missing the filler piece at the end of the console gap?
M
Hi, I have the filler piece but when the brake is applied I ended up with a gap between it and the bottom of the handbrake, I will see if I can get a pic of this.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:03 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Hi, I have the filler piece but when the brake is applied I ended up with a gap between it and the bottom of the handbrake, I will see if I can get a pic of this.

Handbrake position when applied normally

Handbrake off with end piece removed

Gap left in filler strip if end piece was in place and handbrake applied.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:16 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Is your strip new? It appears to me to be missing the end of the strip like some of it has broken off.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:56 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by theandies
Is your strip new? It appears to me to be missing the end of the strip like some of it has broken off.
It has been cut short but the original length would not fit, thats the thing, where is the front end supposed to go when the handbrake is off if its the original length?
Old 05-28-2018, 06:22 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

If I remember correctly I think there is a channel that the cover runs along on the underside of the center bezel clip. It's been so long since I replace my slider so I can't say for sure.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:49 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Definitely cut short.
The piece literally just runs up under the rear of the shifter console where there's nothing really in the way
M
Old 05-28-2018, 07:23 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I ran some GAFF tape from my brake console/shifter housing forward so that the excess wouldnt bind as I moved the hand brake. The new seals are more brittle than the orginals
The following users liked this post:
Haggisbash (05-29-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 07:34 PM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
I ran some GAFF tape from my brake console/shifter housing forward so that the excess wouldnt bind as I moved the hand brake. The new seals are more brittle than the orginals
I also broke a new seal in the same spot before I did something similar to the above. I used a piece of broken seal and some 100mph tape to create a nice ramp/slide so the second new seal could easily slide up under the shifter console.
The following users liked this post:
Haggisbash (05-29-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 03:22 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Figured out that the brake console is not fitting back far enough to allow the slider seal to drop under the shifter console. Turns out that hidden under the covering on the "waterfall" is a movement sensor that's part of the alarm system. I will relocate this to get that necessary extra room to move the brake console back.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:22 AM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

It actually gets slipped to the back of the shifter console but I was using it to set the gap in these pics
M
I'm sorry. Mooser, what are you doing here? I have to replace my slide seal and am wondering what this is about. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Sorry, I was just trying to show that filler piece and where it ends up. It is actually clipped onto the back of the shifter console and sort of lines up with / slides into the e-brake console during assy.

In the picture I was heating up the repro e-brake console attempting to get it to fit better so I had the filler clamped in place to hold it.
Ended up not working well so I make a metal strap the fit onto the p/w switch studs underneath to help hold it together better. real PIA to install then let me tell you...
M
Old 06-08-2018, 02:29 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Sorry, I was just trying to show that filler piece and where it ends up. It is actually clipped onto the back of the shifter console and sort of lines up with / slides into the e-brake console during assy.

In the picture I was heating up the repro e-brake console attempting to get it to fit better so I had the filler clamped in place to hold it.
Ended up not working well so I make a metal strap the fit onto the p/w switch studs underneath to help hold it together better. real PIA to install then let me tell you...
M
Hi M, I may have to do something similar to hold mine together properly, have to wait until new slider seal arrives though.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:16 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Having the metal strip in place and loose (one side slotted) and then sliding it onto the p-brake handle and tightening it up was a real PIA but do-able. The repro console wasn't even close to the right shape so it was open a lot at the front.

My Handbrake handle now comes off so the cover with the metal strap installed can be slid over the arm and then the handle re-installed so more work but easier....
M

Get notified of new replies

To Handbrake slide seal

Quick Reply: Handbrake slide seal