C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Steering Wheel Repair/Cleaning

Old 07-20-2015, 06:45 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 1969 Steering Wheel Repair/Cleaning

I acquired a steering wheel from a 1969 C3 several decades ago, and I thought I'd put it on my 1965 coupe (this would have been in the late 70s). There was a minor but significant design difference between the C2 and C3 (I guess, since I never used it).

I hung it on the wall of my dad's garage - an unheated, uncooled, pretty open garage sitting on his property in Southeast Georgia (the land of high temperatures and humidity). So there it sat from about 1978 until recently, when I discovered it, and brought it home.

What I've got problems with is the plastic rim of the wheel - it's deteriorated to the point where if you touch it, it leaves a very unpleasant and sticky residue on your hand. Even after you release it, there's something on your skin.

I've tried dishwashing soap as well as general purpose cleaner, but neither one seems to make any difference. Even if it feels OK after you clean it, it soon returns to that sticky state.

All I really want to do is get it looking good enough to hang from the wall in my garage (which isn't quite as humid or hot as my dad's).

Does anyone have any experience or advice for me on how to get this wheel somewhat presentable?

Thanks,
Steven
Old 07-21-2015, 12:15 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

if you google "sticky steering wheel" you will find this is a common issue for many cars with all sorts of solutions. Hand cleaner, lacquer thinner, brake clean spray to name a few.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:41 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

install a real leather cover and stitch/ sew it on,
most covers are made for a larger diameter/ thickness wheel than early the C3.
I buy a standard 15 leather wrap, then cut app. 1" off the total width,
to correct for the c3 small wheel width. and sew it up !
looks like factory when done. good luck. ... lots of them $10 on epay

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Steering Wheel Repair/Cleaning

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1969 Steering Wheel Repair/Cleaning