C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley HP EFI w/coil packs

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Irocz2173
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Holley HP EFI w/coil packs

i have been working on this car for years now but my latest upgrade has been the Holley EFI terminator. While I upgraded to fuel injection I decided to modify the harness for LS coil packs. To accomplish this I removed the entire MSD setup (6al, coil and distributor) and installed a dual sync cam/crank sensor with LS3 coil packs.
My goal is to gain driveability on this setup which is a 427 dart small block with a t56 6 speed and toms differential. It’s by no means a show car but I’m happy with how it turned out. What do you think of my mounting location:

Old 06-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Willforce71
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

That's a really cool project you have going there. I am currently restoring may LS% and am considering going with EFI. Any chance you could post more pictures of your engine and the EFI components? Looks like you are running side exhaust too? How did you do your Ox sensor?

Old 06-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

That's where I went- except I put all them all on the pass side (12 of them!). I'm running Vintage Air so I have plenty of room.

I have a fiberglass cover that will hide/protect them.

Wiring was nice and short as the ECU is right inside the passenger compartment.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:30 PM
CA_WxMan
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Maybe it's the angle of the first picture, but the exhaust looks pretty close.
You might want to consider some type of heat shield for the coils.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:50 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Picture is a little fuzzy....but I mounted my Holley coils inside the car behind the dash and used MSD "passthroughs" to connect things. Short set of wires to passthrough from the coils and then another set from the engine compartment side to the plugs. Like you, I was able to run wires from underneath and avoid heat of headers and generally clean things up.

JIM
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2018, 09:25 PM
Irocz2173
Racer

I like seeing everyone else’s solution for coil pack location. To answer one question above, there is at least 9 inches between the headers and the coil packs.
i took a few more picture of my current status but remember it is still a work in progress.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Irocz2173
Racer

I posted a pic of my wideband location on the Sidepipe. It is as high as I can get it although not ideal. I also know that my heater core is leaking as you can see by the coolant drips in that same picture.
The following users liked this post:
Willforce71 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 02:04 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Nice! Thanks, I really appreciate you posting the pictures.

I also went with a Holley HP EFI and then LS3 generation truck takeoff coils. I haven't figured out how to mount the coils yet as I've got a lot of engine work ahead of me first, but I really like getting to see this solution.

I assume you made custom length spark plug wires to do this, right? (roughly how long is the longest wire?) -Did you make those coil brackets yourself, too?

-I've got the TCI EZ-TCU transmission controller computer in my glove box already, but I need to see if I can fit the Holley HP ECU in there, too.

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 06-11-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:36 PM
Irocz2173
Racer

I did make my own custom length wires. I just cut down my old distributor wires and used the Taylor coil ends.
I made my own brackets for the coils but I would recommend just buying the Ebay kit that looks similar for $46 shipped. I had that into my setup plus the time.
Im very interested in seeing what you come up with. I modified my HP harness to accept some of the sensors that aren’t normally pinned including oil pressure. Then with the inputs and outputs I added vehicle speed, fuel level, oil temperature, fan control, reverse lockout and a/c control.
Why didn’t you opt to use the Holley dominator with trans control? I know it’s more expensive but one module does both for you, not to mention the increased number of inputs and outputs.

Matt
Old 06-11-2018, 02:51 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Irocz2173
I did make my own custom length wires. I just cut down my old distributor wires and used the Taylor coil ends.
I made my own brackets for the coils but I would recommend just buying the Ebay kit that looks similar for $46 shipped. I had that into my setup plus the time.
Im very interested in seeing what you come up with. I modified my HP harness to accept some of the sensors that aren’t normally pinned including oil pressure. Then with the inputs and outputs I added vehicle speed, fuel level, oil temperature, fan control, reverse lockout and a/c control.
Why didn’t you opt to use the Holley dominator with trans control? I know it’s more expensive but one module does both for you, not to mention the increased number of inputs and outputs.

Matt
Good tip on buying the Ebay kit. My coils came with the stock heavy steel truck brackets; I'll probably just use them, but any time I can save weight...

I went with the Holley Stealth Ram / TPI harness, then bought the Coil-On-Plug sub-harness. I also bought the 60-2 crank trigger kit and a vortec 1x cam sensor. I'm using a TPI-style intake from "First Fuel Injection" so I'm doing sequential multi port injection, so the Holley HP was required.

I did the 4L60e trans swap BEFORE the EFI and wanted to do it in stages; I picked up the trans controlled for a good price off of ebay NIB. I thought that the Holley Dominator was a very race-focused product and wasn't self-tuning, but either way the Dominator seemed like a big jump in price for a feature I wasn't going to use because I already had the trans computer installed and ready-to-go.

Adam

P.S. I like seeing your painted frame; someone's been treating that car of yours nicely. (I spent 7 of the last 8 weekends getting my frame to look like that, and I only did behind the front wheels and back.

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 06-11-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Holley smart coils mounted to valve covers. Holley Dominator EFI with cam sync distributor and 60-2 hall effect crank pickup. Fits under stock GM L-88 hood.

NewbVetteGuy (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 03:59 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bullshark
Holley smart coils mounted to valve covers. Holley Dominator EFI with cam sync distributor and 60-2 hall effect crank pickup. Fits under stock GM L-88 hood.

The best coils in the business (rebranded Pantera EFI IGN-1), but @#$@# they're HUGE lightning bolt generators!

I'm going to ask a dumb question now: You're running a non-return fuel system config? (Otherwise, I can't make sense of what I'm seeing...)

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 06-11-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:52 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy

I'm going to ask a dumb question now: You're running a non-return fuel system config? (Otherwise, I can't make sense of what I'm seeing...)

Adam
That was an early picture before I plumbed the fuel lines.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Irocz2173
Racer

I got the car fired up last weekend. Couldn't do any tuning due to a bad header gasket but i am amazed at how stable the timing is with the coils.
NewbVetteGuy (07-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Holley HP EFI w/coil packs

Quick Reply: Holley HP EFI w/coil packs