C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing throttle cable parts? Or just another bent linkage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 12:06 AM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Missing throttle cable parts? Or just another bent linkage?

My 75 has a new ZZ6 crate. It comes with a Holley. I’ve got it all hooked up and barely get 1/2 throttle using the gas pedal.

Irritating!

Do I just have another bent linkage? Is there some sort of aftermarket throttle linkage that solves this issue for real?

Last edited by Kie; 06-14-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:14 AM
Kie
Pro

Look at this free play. The cable doesn’t start to move until the pedal is 1/2 way through its range of motion.
I got the bracket Holley recommended. Everything seems hooked up correctly to me.
Am I possibly missing this white gizmo?
Old 06-14-2018, 07:27 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,256 Likes on 3,903 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

i would bend the arm/linkage to fill the gap.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:29 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks to me like the connection on the carb throttle arm is too low down causing the ratio to be off and the cable end not to be near the pedal arm under the dash. Didn't you get an adapter to fill in the large hole in the throttle arm to attached the cable there?

Last edited by DaveL82; 06-14-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:36 AM
Tim69L46
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like your cable is humped between the mounting bracket and the throttle linkage indicating you have too much cable between the carb and the stop. Disconnect the cable from the carb and move the throttle linkage to full throttle and hold it there and push the cable towards the firewall until it hits the stop and see where the mounting stud and cable socket align. I suspect you will find the cable will hit the stop too soon. Look at the throttle linkage and see if there is a threaded hole that aligns with the socket end of the cable. Move the stud to that hole if there is one. Depending on how much you miss by you may need an adjustable cable or an OEM if yours is an after market.I've found the new cables are longer than the originals and need tweaking to work correctly. I don't think you will find your problem is at the pedal. Tim
Old 06-14-2018, 08:49 AM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveL82
Looks to me like the connection on the carb throttle arm is too low down causing the ratio to be off and the cable end not to be near the pedal arm under the dash. Didn't you get an adapter to fill in the large hole in the throttle arm to attached the cable there?

Old 06-14-2018, 10:02 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Is the plastic cable retainer missing from the end of the rod (hidden by kick down switch)? If so, yes the retainer is critical to cable length. 75-81 the retainer was part of the cable assembly.
Just use care when pressing the cable retainer back into the rod.
The assembly manual is a great source of information, just saying...

Old 06-14-2018, 11:11 AM
Kie
Pro

Thanks everyone. I’ll be back out to the car later this morning (west coast) and try to sort this out.

For certain I still have the original cable from when the car was new. 66k miles and the car was never driven hard by my uncle (only owner b4 me). I stared at the gas pedal and the metal rod it attaches to last nite for a while and it all looks pristine.

Now that I see the assy manual picture I believe I still have the plastic retainer. It just doesn’t look big and beefy like the one on the Ecklers site. Sadly I have the assy manual that my uncle bought new 43 years ago. Perhaps I should open it sometime lol.

I will detach the cable at the carb and compare actual carb full throttle to cable full throttle. Then see if there somewhere else to attach the “ball stud” I think Holley calls it.

I dont need that switch at the pedal any longer correct? On an L48/M20 car like mine what did it even do? Tell the cowl induction door to wake up?

Last edited by Kie; 06-14-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:44 PM
Kie
Pro

I had 2 problems. I had the ball stud too far forward. So even if I was able to get full throw on the cable I’d be stressing the throttle shaft with my foot to the floor and not using the plastic stop built into the cable.

I relocated the ball stud to the proper hole. I had to (very carefully) slightly enlarge the hole so my ball stud would fit. With the stud in the proper place you can then slightly tweak the cable mounting bracket so that when the cable stop is bottomed you are exactly at wide open.

On top of that my linkage piece was indeed bent after 43 years. I removed it and tweaked it by hand in the bench vice. I compared to the picture in my assy man b4 I put it back. I got it right first try through some miracle of science.

FULL THROTTLE ! Thanks CF !!!!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:49 PM
Kie
Pro

Hmmm. Carb at full open and cable at the stop. Wrong hole!
Yikes
I vacuumed these shavings up
Proper hole. Now to adjust the cable mounting bracket slightly.
Bracket adjuster
Strong like bull!
Looks close
Nailed it!
Dash reinstall next yay
The following users liked this post:
jim-81 (08-23-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Missing throttle cable parts? Or just another bent linkage?

Quick Reply: Missing throttle cable parts? Or just another bent linkage?