C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 vette wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 12:16 PM
Edward Ackley
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 81 vette wont start

well i had my 81 vette in the shop for a knock when i put into reverse and forward. mechanic found the transmission rubber cushions were rotted out also the rear end hold down cushions 2 were rotted out so i took it home and ordered the parts which have arrived. so i go out to start it up yesterday wont start. so check the battery reads 1240 perfect. so setting in the drivers seat hear this click click hard to tell where it is coming from, checked battery 1236 not bad. so i will have to take it to the mechanic or i should say have it towed any one have any ideas starter or starter wires
Old 05-24-2020, 02:28 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Why dont you try jumping the battery with another car?
You may also want to first try loosening and retightening the battery connections and if possible get under the car and check the ground on the frame and the positive on the starter.
Did you use a handheld meter to check the voltage or relied on the in car gauge?

Last edited by MelWff; 05-24-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:09 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The click click you hear might be the starter solenoid but the starter motor is not spinning. Charge the battery, might be down on amps which the starter needs to turn.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:09 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,459 Likes on 2,692 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I'm thinking that 12.4 is not "Perfect". A fully charged 12V battery should be at 12.7-12.8 depending on temperature. I would be charging the battery
Old 05-25-2020, 07:15 AM
Edward Ackley
Racer

o.k. once again you guys were right on. disconnected the battery ground yesterday early this AM hooked the ground back on the battery. first thing i noticed there was no clicking sound, thats good, hooked the battery charger up to vehicle start plugged it in waited 5 minutes turned the key on fired right up let it warm up took it around the block ran great, tomorrow will see my mechanic and get a new starter put in. thanks from the bottom of my heart you guys made my day thank you again
Old 05-25-2020, 07:22 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

If it started right up, why do you want to replace the starter?
The following users liked this post:
ClothSeats (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 08:19 AM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
If it started right up, why do you want to replace the starter?
My understanding is that the car started reliably for you until after you had it in the shop for the knocking issue. Then, next day the car wouldn't start due to what appears to be low battery charge. This leads me to believe that something happened while the car was in the shop that caused the electrical system to develop a key-off battery drain situation. Maybe the mechanic accidentally moved something that is now causing a partial short to ground. These things are not difficult to diagnose, but you have to go through a systematic process to track it down.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:10 AM
Edward Ackley
Racer

about 6 months ago my mechanic suggested i change the starter why i did not ask, the reason it was in the shop is i had a knock when i put it into reverse and than 3rd gear its automatic transmission. he found the transmission mounts which are rubber he repaired them but my differencial which is mounted to the big a frame from the rear and in front is mounted on 2 cushion round pads I ordered this kit from zip corvette to cure this problem the cushions were both rotted out. I normally plug my vette into a trickle charger if iam not going to drive it for a few days i failed to do so altho my battery was low it wasnt that low when it would not start. and thats when i heard the clicking noise which some great guys on here helped me out as far as replacing the starter the darn thing is 40 years old, and i dont want to be 40 miles from my home setting on a beach and the starter dont work
Old 05-25-2020, 12:22 PM
wilcar
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward Ackley
about 6 months ago my mechanic suggested i change the starter why i did not ask, the reason it was in the shop is i had a knock when i put it into reverse and than 3rd gear its automatic transmission. he found the transmission mounts which are rubber he repaired them but my differencial which is mounted to the big a frame from the rear and in front is mounted on 2 cushion round pads I ordered this kit from zip corvette to cure this problem the cushions were both rotted out. I normally plug my vette into a trickle charger if iam not going to drive it for a few days i failed to do so altho my battery was low it wasnt that low when it would not start. and thats when i heard the clicking noise which some great guys on here helped me out as far as replacing the starter the darn thing is 40 years old, and i dont want to be 40 miles from my home setting on a beach and the starter dont work
I would fine someone that can rebuild your starter as a lot of these new starters are junk covit chinko units that do not last long!!
Old 05-26-2020, 06:55 AM
Engage
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward Ackley
o.k. once again you guys were right on. disconnected the battery ground yesterday early this AM hooked the ground back on the battery. first thing i noticed there was no clicking sound, thats good, hooked the battery charger up to vehicle start plugged it in waited 5 minutes turned the key on fired right up let it warm up took it around the block ran great, tomorrow will see my mechanic and get a new starter put in. thanks from the bottom of my heart you guys made my day thank you again
There is likely nothing wrong with your starter.I would take apart, clean, and tighten all the battery, starter, and frame grounds connections first!

Last edited by Engage; 05-26-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 vette wont start

Quick Reply: 81 vette wont start