C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of Rear Spare Tire Carrier Mounted Oil Coolers

Old 06-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Default Pics of Rear Spare Tire Carrier Mounted Oil Coolers

That was a lot to say...

I need to see pictures of your installed oil coolers which are mounted on the tire carrier.

I know you guys have 'em because I've seen some somewhere here.

Post away please...

Craig

Oh yes. Do you have the fan pulling or pushing air?

Last edited by Street Rat; 06-11-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Ask question
Old 06-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Are you talking about engine oil coolers or differential fluid coolers?
Old 06-11-2018, 05:50 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69427
Are you talking about engine oil coolers or differential fluid coolers?
Specifically an engine oil cooler. But I'll take a look at ANY cooler that is mounted on the tire carrier. Transmission, rear end, engine oil coolers. I'm more into how it looks and how it was placed on the carrier than what it's purpose is.

Last edited by Street Rat; 06-11-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:34 PM
Milan454
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Following
Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

You run pressure oil that far you lose oil flow and pressure. What is the advantage of mounting cooler that far back?
Old 06-11-2018, 09:21 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by derekderek
You run pressure oil that far you lose oil flow and pressure. What is the advantage of mounting cooler that far back?
Being able to get a bigger cooler somewhere other than the front on the radiator and condenser is my thinking.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:09 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

I have a Fluidyne engine oil cooler, it's a tad smaller than the radiator. I had it mounted under the fuel tank for a few years with 2 12" fans mounted on top of the cooler pushing air down through the cooler. I also had a trans cooler mounted under the passenger seat with a fan on top of it pushing air down through the cooler.

I had a piece of 1/2" closed cell foam between the tank and the cooler to help with heat on the tank.

I have since moved the cooler to the front of the car after removing all the crash bar and vacuum reservoir stuff from the nose of the car. The reason I moved it is at one point I had 5 electric fans now I only have 2.

I'll look and see if I can find some pics,

Neal
The following users liked this post:
Street Rat (06-12-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 11:06 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat
That was a lot to say...

I need to see pictures of your installed oil coolers which are mounted on the tire carrier.

I know you guys have 'em because I've seen some somewhere here.

Post away please...

Craig

Oh yes. Do you have the fan pulling or pushing air?

It's not mounted on the tire carrier, but here is my trans cooler. mounted up behind the batwing on my 80'. The fans are pulling air from top down. Spacers between mounting surface and fan gave it plenty of room to suck in air. Have a temp switch at the input side and a manual switch in the car so I can turn it on whenever I want. I think it looks pretty trick back there, but not visible unless you're down on all fours looking. If I remember right it only pulls 4 amps but it moves a lot of air.
Attached Images   

Last edited by gbarmore; 06-11-2018 at 11:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Street Rat (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 06:52 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Differential oil cooler, pump and filter. T

Old 06-12-2018, 07:03 AM
derekderek
Race Director

You dont need oil coolers at idle so much. If you can keep them in the air stream from car moving, you have that much less stuff running. Plus, the shorter hose runs are a big plus. Even half inch ID is smallish when pushing oil at 50 on up psi and needing that pressure at the delivery end. Trans fluid is cooled AFTER use. The pressure is off, and the oil in the cooler passage won't be needed again for a while. Unless you are running dry sump engine, the only way to cool the oil is immediately after pressurizing it.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:46 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Not quite sure I'm tracking on your statement, "the only way to cool the oil is immediately after pressurizing it". Regardless of where the oil is cooled, it is reducing the overall temperature of the system. Also, at idle is a perfect time for a fan powered oil cooler because you don't have any air flow. If you were autocrossing and putting serious heat into your transmission, a fan powered trans cooler would be perfect for a post-run cool down.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting your comments?
Old 06-12-2018, 07:46 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

gbarmore and terrys6t8roadster I thank you for the pictures.

That is just what I want to see.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,134 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by gbarmore
Not quite sure I'm tracking on your statement, "the only way to cool the oil is immediately after pressurizing it". Regardless of where the oil is cooled, it is reducing the overall temperature of the system. Also, at idle is a perfect time for a fan powered oil cooler because you don't have any air flow. If you were autocrossing and putting serious heat into your transmission, a fan powered trans cooler would be perfect for a post-run cool down.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting your comments?
To get flow through the cooler, you need to intercept the pressurized oil, likely from the oil filter neck before the filter. Once "used", the oil drips back into the pan through dozens of pathways. The auto trans has a defined pathway that can be tapped into after the TC to get flow through a cooler.

You could draw from the oil pan using a separate pump, perhaps.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:43 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

One thing I didn't mention is I don't have a tire carrier so the cooler was mounted right under the tank

I'm having trouble finding any pics of my setup,

Neal
Old 06-12-2018, 02:47 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Originally Posted by Bikespace
To get flow through the cooler, you need to intercept the pressurized oil, likely from the oil filter neck before the filter. Once "used", the oil drips back into the pan through dozens of pathways. The auto trans has a defined pathway that can be tapped into after the TC to get flow through a cooler.

You could draw from the oil pan using a separate pump, perhaps.

gotcha, we were talking about 2 different oil systems, you motor oil, me trans oil.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:01 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I've seen no pressure issues with the cooler in either mounting position, I had a full flow T-stat for the engine oil so until it reached 180* the cooler was bypassed.

I used 5/8's SS braided lines in both positions to and from the cooler.

Neal
Old 06-12-2018, 05:48 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
I've seen no pressure issues with the cooler in either mounting position, I had a full flow T-stat for the engine oil so until it reached 180* the cooler was bypassed.

I used 5/8's SS braided lines in both positions to and from the cooler.

Neal
Thanks Neal

I'm using a thermostatic sandwich plate and 10 AN lines. I mounted an oil cooler on the bottom of the spare tire carrier today. Still wiring and running lines. Photos soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Pics of Rear Spare Tire Carrier Mounted Oil Coolers

Old 06-19-2018, 12:34 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a hobbs switch controlling my fuel pump and oil cooler fan. I also have a manual switch for the oil cooler fan mounted inside.I ran the two #10 lines from the sandwich adapter down the left frame rail. Then a fitting junction in order to drop and remove the spare tire carrier/oil cooler.

The problem that I ran into was that the cooler hung down too low. When the car was jacked up it looked great. I let the car down and immediately sensed that this was not going to work.

The solution was to mount the oil cooler/fan INSIDE of the tire carrier. Then I cut a hole in the carrier so the fan exhaust will blow through the fan (pusher) could blow under the car.

Raining here and the car is outside so photos will be forthcoming.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:27 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

The 6t8 has a power steering oil cooler mounted on the frame rail just under the vacuum canister. Sorry no pictures of that. There is a manual oil temp gauge and I've never seen the temp over 210*. SBC have a high pressure port with a plug just above the oil filter, that's where the S/C gets it's oil supply from. T
Old 06-20-2018, 06:50 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Actually, the oil pan sump hanging down into the air stream under the car IS a pretty good oil cooler. But the go-fast boat guys don't have this luxury. And they have done a bunch of research on what you need for oil cooler size, line size and line length. Along with oil temp locations. What I meant by only way to cool oil is after pressurizing is that is the only way you have to make it flow through a cooler. And the farther it has to travel, the lower the oil pressure is when it gets to the mains and rods. The 3/8 steel lines used on the factory 454 truck oil coolers are considered woefully inadequate, but at least they only run a short distance from oil filter adapter to radiator and back. Another big worry with big diameter high pressure oil running the length of the car TWICE is possibility of a line splitting or being damaged.

Last edited by derekderek; 06-20-2018 at 06:52 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pics of Rear Spare Tire Carrier Mounted Oil Coolers