C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help - starter motor not engaging engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 02:56 PM
Chris Long
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help - starter motor not engaging engine

Hey guys,

So tonight after work went to start my 77 and the starter engaged and turned the engine, I let off and the engine didn't start and there was a clunk. I then went to turn it over again and the starter just span without turning the engine. Really worried about this as I have a suprise road trip planned with my dad next week..

Here is a video of what happens:

Any ideas what it is and what I can do to fix it? New starter motor?

Chris
​​​​​​

Last edited by Chris Long; 06-12-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Is this a factory style replacement starter or one of those high torque shorty ones.

Seems like it needs a shim or two put between the starter and the engine block.

Also...IF the starter is the original design type. Hopefully you still have the support bracket that bolts to the side of the engine block that attaches to the end of the armature housing for added support.

Also...jeep in mind there they sell two different types of starter shims at the auto parts stores. Some starters have a staggered or angled bolt pattern while others are straight bolt pattern. The staggered bolt pattern is when one of the starter bolts is closer to the front of the engine by an inch or two while the other is near the back of the engine The straight bolt pattern...the bolts are in line with one another and the same distance from the rear of the engine.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Chris Long (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 03:21 PM
Chris Long
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DUB
Is this a factory style replacement starter or one of those high torque shorty ones.

Seems like it needs a shim or two put between the starter and the engine block.

Also...IF the starter is the original design type. Hopefully you still have the support bracket that bolts to the side of the engine block that attaches to the end of the armature housing for added support.

Also...jeep in mind there they sell two different types of starter shims at the auto parts stores. Some starters have a staggered or angled bolt pattern while others are straight bolt pattern. The staggered bolt pattern is when one of the starter bolts is closer to the front of the engine by an inch or two while the other is near the back of the engine The straight bolt pattern...the bolts are in line with one another and the same distance from the rear of the engine.

DUB
Hey, thanks for your reply! As far as I know it is the original starter motor, it's been fine until now then bam.. Will have to look at the shim kit and what one mine is, can see two listed as you said:

https://www.corvettekingdom.co.uk/pa...3-pieces/11038
https://www.corvettekingdom.co.uk/pa...-5-pieces/8629
Old 06-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Bad solenoid or broken starter gear.

My 75 did that and the gear on the starter was broken in half. Half was missing, half was still there.

Last edited by Aerovette; 06-12-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Chris Long (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 04:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Yes...those would be the correct shims...depending on the bolt pattern of the starter itself.

DUB
Chris Long (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 04:43 PM
Chris Long
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Aerovette
Bad solenoid or broken starter gear.

My 75 did that and the gear on the starter was broken in half. Half was missing, half was still there.
Hey, thanks for your help, I guess the only way to tell is to take the starter off? Is it fairly simple to do? Will be borrowing some tools to have a proper look tomorrow.

If it is the gear would this be what I need to replace it: https://www.corvettekingdom.co.uk/pa...er-drive/15857
Old 06-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Long
Hey, thanks for your help, I guess the only way to tell is to take the starter off? Is it fairly simple to do? Will be borrowing some tools to have a proper look tomorrow.

If it is the gear would this be what I need to replace it: https://www.corvettekingdom.co.uk/pa...er-drive/15857

Possibly. I took a different path and replaced the entire starter.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:59 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

That's what we refer to as the Bendix.
It's likely that or the starter solenoid. (my bet is the Bendix as your fan "just" moves when the starter is engaged)
Both are relatively easy to install with standard hand tools.
Either way the starter will need to come out.
Starter removal is pretty straight forward.
Take some photos of the wiring PRIOR to removal so you can easily reconnect upon install.
FYI: that doesn't sound like a stock starter - possibly some mini-starter.

Last edited by Hammerhead Fred; 06-12-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Chris Long (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 05:21 PM
Chris Long
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
That's what we refer to as the Bendix.
It's likely that or the starter solenoid. (my bet is the Bendix as your fan "just" moves when the starter is engaged)
Both are relatively easy to install with standard hand tools.
Either way the starter will need to come out.
Starter removal is pretty straight forward.
Take some photos of the wiring PRIOR to removal so you can easily reconnect upon install.
FYI: that doesn't sound like a stock starter - possibly some mini-starter.
Thanks Fred, I've managed to get a refurbished one from eBay so will see if that does it, really hope it does otherwise won't be much of a road trip!
Old 06-12-2018, 06:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Make sure you disconnect your NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE before you go to remove the starter.

DUB
Chris Long (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 06:54 PM
Chris Long
Heel & Toe

Ok one more problem I've found, the engine isn't original as I guess most aren't now, but now I don't know what starter motor fits it!

VIN: 10D145797
Engine code: V0114CNR

When I search it comes up as a Caprice/Bel Air/Kingswd 300hp 1970 350. Is this right? If so anyone have any idea what starter it needs?
Old 06-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Ok one more problem I've found, the engine isn't original as I guess most aren't now, but now I don't know what starter motor fits it!

VIN: 10D145797
Engine code: V0114CNR

When I search it comes up as a Caprice/Bel Air/Kingswd 300hp 1970 350. Is this right? If so anyone have any idea what starter it needs?
Pretty much the same 10MT starter fits all 69-81 350 automatic small block chevy motors. That said; your potential issues with the one you already ordered could be the starter nose (may not bolt up) and more importantly the number of teeth on your flywheel. Your odds aren't terrible but you won't know until you get the new one. On the plus side, it's possible you can swap the nose if that's the issue. If it's the tooth count you may well be back at square one.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:03 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

take it out, have it tested, then replace it if theres questions. stock ones are cheap and you'll have time before the trip to make sure its working
Old 06-17-2018, 04:21 AM
Chris Long
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all the replies guys, good to know there is a helpful community for times like this! For anyone interested, I managed to source a new starter and get the old one off yesterday. Can you spot what the issue was?!

Thankfully the new one is now on and working

Old 06-17-2018, 10:45 AM
DUB
Race Director

UHHHH....let me take a good look. Well it seems the starter on the bottom is a bit greasy and that caused your problem???...OR...

The end housing snapped off and that caused your armature to no longer be centered and THAT was the problem.

I am going with my second observation.

Back to reality...glad you took it off and found that a new starter will do the trick. But also MAKE SURE that the starter is connected to that bracket that supports the end of the armature housing to make the starter solidly mounted. IF you do not use that support bracket at the end of the armature housing...the starter can flex/move. YES..I have worked on so many starters where this bracket is missing or not connected...but that is NOT the point.

DUB
Old 06-17-2018, 10:58 AM
Chris Long
Heel & Toe

Well observed! :p Yes that arm is actually missing so I've ordered a new one.

The issues never stop though, just found that a valve spring has been broken...

Get notified of new replies

To Need help - starter motor not engaging engine

Quick Reply: Need help - starter motor not engaging engine