C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air conditioning heater control

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 05:01 PM
moss_123@hotmail.com
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air conditioning heater control

How do I get the dang thing out of the console. It doesn't want to come out. 1975 Corvette.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Define "doesn't want to come out". Remove the console trim plate to get at it. There may be a screw or two holding it in the bracket.

The assembly instruction manual (AIM) has a couple of diagrams showing the installation and the vacuum and electrical connections.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:18 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It is not just going to come out. There is a lot of parts you need to remove to get this out due to the one cable that goes over to your heater box...and you also have the vacuum hose connection.

The hand brake cover needs to be removed...then the console CAREFULLY needs to be removed. This can be a ROAYL PAIN due to the possible two nuts that hold the shifter console to your gauge bezel.

Trying to get the control off of the thin metal plate is bolted to is NOT EASY if you try to do it without taking more parts off.

When I do these...I remove the shifter console ALONG with the gauge bezel as a unit. This will also cause you to remove the map pocket dash panel on the right side so I can gain access to the end of the cable and remove it if needed. This allows me to slide the entire console and gauge cluster back a little bit and allow more movement so I can get that steel support bracket that is holding the control out of the console and laying on the floor. Then the control is sitting there all by itself and I can replace it and then put all of what I removed back in. I disconnect all of the wires to the gauge cluster and radio and take the entire assembly out of the car so I can get to the control and work in it.

I have dealt with this so many times the procedure I use is actually faster and allows me to get to fasteners that are normally a ROYAL PAIN to deal with. This control is NOT an easy part to install. And I have tried different ways to try to speed it up ...but the way I have mentioned may cause you to take a lot apart...it actually goes a lot faster...as I have tested and found out. Or do it as you see fit.

DUB
Old 06-15-2018, 09:42 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You have to remove the Bowden cable(s) at the front of that control. THEN it will come out.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 06-16-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:27 AM
DUB
Race Director

There is only one cable on an A/C control..and it can be detached at the heater box so the control can slide back so you can gain better access to removing it.

Trying to remove the cable without getting the console out of the away and still installed is a futile task at best. It can be done..but you would be fighting it the whole way...and can break the cable housing mount point also which is plastic.

DUB
Old 06-16-2018, 09:34 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The cable can be disconnected at either end. But it MUST be disconnected to get the control head out of the console. (point made in post #4)
Old 06-17-2018, 11:12 AM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The cable can be disconnected at either end. But it MUST be disconnected to get the control head out of the console. (point made in post #4)
But trying to remove it from the control WITH the console in the way...is raising the risks of breaking it. Not enough room to work efficiently. So it deals with WHEN a person removes that cable. And if the shifter console is already removed and out of the way..the control is sitting there on top of the transmission tunnel area with everything still connected to it so they can get in they and remove it.

And prying the control UP to gain access to the screw that holds the cable... it puts it under tension. Along with possibly damaging or putting unneeded stress on the vacuum hose connection.

Those that need to do this....do as you wish. If you are successful by not removing anything but the shifter plate...GREAT. If you break the plastic end off of your cable. You will be removing the map pocket dash panel to change out the cable. Your call on how you choose to do it.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Air conditioning heater control

Quick Reply: Air conditioning heater control