C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED exterior light install headaches

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 03:39 PM
76_vette_girl
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Default LED exterior light install headaches

K.. so i have a 76 which I've converted all the exterior bulbs over to LED except backup lights. I also have all interior lighting LED except for my turn signal indicators. I've also installed the new LED turn flasher with the ground wire attached. So far brake and turn all work correctly. The headache comes when I turn on my running lights. When running lights are on I don't have drivers side turn or brake in the rear only. All other signals/brake are working. I already replaced the bulb which fixed my random flashing. With original bulbs I have no issues. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Could it be a ground issue? Bubba was using wire nuts. I'm pulling my hair out on this!!

thank you
Old 06-15-2018, 04:28 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Neither rear Turn signal? ....and Neither brake light?

Do BOTH the turn signal lights work in the FRONT?

Originally Posted by 76_vette_girl
K.. so i have a 76 which I've converted all the exterior bulbs over to LED except backup lights. I also have all interior lighting LED except for my turn signal indicators. I've also installed the new LED turn flasher with the ground wire attached. So far brake and turn all work correctly. The headache comes when I turn on my running lights. When running lights are on I don't have drivers side turn or brake in the rear only. All other signals/brake are working. I already replaced the bulb which fixed my random flashing. With original bulbs I have no issues. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Could it be a ground issue? Bubba was using wire nuts. I'm pulling my hair out on this!!

thank you

Last edited by carriljc; 06-15-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:32 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

The problem is the front side marker that lights w/ running lights and then flashes opposite to the turn signal. That circuit doesn't work with LEDs.

What I ended up doing on mine was changing one wire for the front side marker so it flashes with the turn signal instead of opposite. Downside is it doesn't light with the running lights anymore.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:56 PM
76_vette_girl
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Update: I moved the bulb to the other side rear and doesnt work at all, moved it back and still not working. so I put it in the front which is the same bulb but amber.. bulb not working at all. so maybe a bulb issue.. again.. bad bulb lot?

response to questions..

It was only the drivers rear which had no turn/brake only with running lights on. working otherwise till it didnt anymore.

If it were a side marker wiring issue, then why does the passenger side work flawlessly including with running lights on?

*stumped* (I HATE WIRING!!)

Last edited by 76_vette_girl; 06-15-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To LED exterior light install headaches

Quick Reply: LED exterior light install headaches